“New Years Evening”
Review of The Portway Inn

and 1 more site!
The Portway Inn
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My partner and I had a very special evening celebrating New Year's eve with drinks and dinner being served with exceptionally competent and friendly staff. The dinner was to a unique high standard and the supporting entertainment created an appropriate ambience. I would reccomend this establishment to anybody who wish to eat or drink in a cosy, relaxed environment

3  Thank John R

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband booked this accommodation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We took our dog away with us as usual, and when we got there, all I can say is fantastic. The staff where very very friendly, the food was excellent. We stayed in one of the superior rooms, which was large and very comfortable. All the meals we had where excellent and the breakfast is huge!! However, no problem for my husband!!

As mentioned we took our dog and was pleasantly surprised to be informed that we could take her into the bar area and even have our meal in there, with our dog in tow, but we could not take her into the restaurant, which was a fair comment. All we can say, is book here and you wont be disappointed.

Very friendly people, lots of dog walks good food and wine, what more could you want.

Room Tip: If travelling with your dog, go for one of the superior rooms, as we found ours a large room,
2  Thank joyce d
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I cannot speak of the bedroom accommodation as we have not stayed at the Portway, but although initial appearances suggest that it has been quite extensively refurbished, further investigation inside revealed that the renovations are either incomplete or inconsistent.

However, we checked in for lunch and the menu certainly looked attractive, as did the local pheasant on the specials board and the food and wines are very competitively priced. Sadly, it was downhill all the way thereafter. The food took a very long time to arrive - longer than reasonable expectations even when everything is being cooked to order. A positively anæmic-looking vegetarian crêpe gave the distinct impression that it had been microwaved, despite being lukewarm by the time that it arrived and its accompanying sauce was so unpleasantly vinegary as to make the dish uneatable; it was removed and an alternative ordered which was little better. My pheasant, which arrived between the crêpe and the alternative (so timings were all out), was sufficiently overcooked as to have had all the pleasure that pheasant can offer removed from it before serving. The service was rather lax and less than professional and I was overcharged by some £6 until I noticed this and it was corrected with due apology (I'm sure that this was an accidental oversight but it didn't enhance the overall experience). Our only enjoyment was in the wine.

The Portway will have to do much better than this if it is to survive in what is by no means an easy market today. Everything is undoubtedly well-priced and any criticisms ought to some extent to take account of this fact, but the general impression was one of sufficient disappointment as to discourage a return visit. This is a particular pity in that there are so few good places to eat within miles of its location.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at the Portway Inn for 2 nights over the weekend and have to say I enjoyed thoroughly! I stayed in a standard room. The beds were nice and comfortable, the bathroom was clean and the shower was pretty powerful and warm, nice.

On the Sunday we had a roast dinner, I had beef which was cooked beautifully, medium to rare almost in the middle, delicious! Plenty of veg, gravy and yorkshires to go around! (I spoke to the waitress there, Sally I believe her name was, a rather polite young lady indeed, very attentive and she informed us they just hired a new chef and that he's very good). Then afterwards we sat by the fire drinking a few whiskeys and playing a few games of cards. Was a very pleasant evening!

The location itself is surrounded by orchards and close to a beautiful river, with a few hills and some beautiful scenery and is ideal for a rambler like my friends and I

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeneralLeeHappy
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The staff were great. Attentive and friendly.
The Inn was warm and welcoming.
The food was absolutely Brilliant. Very tasty with a good varied menu, always served fresh and hot.
Our room was spot on too, nice and clean and warm, nicely decorated and overall very comfortable.

We would definitely recommend The Portway Inn and come and stay again in the future.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Better than expected experience at the Portway Inn. Easy to find, economical, close to local attractions, surprisingly elegant presentation of delicious food! Friendly and accommodating staff, comfortable room, overall a nice stop along the way. Inviting large lounge downstairs along with a cozy pub, dining room. Basic but functional room, good shower, nice towels, heated towel rack. Not a luxury hotel but great value for the price. Being a sound sleeper the somewhat thin walls didn't bother me but I can understand that this would possibly be a slight issue for someone trying to get to sleep early as you could hear some hotel noise from the room. It was fine with us though--we were stuffed from dinner and ready to rest up for another day! We enjoyed it and the food was spectacular! Locally sourced and beautifully presented--the chef deserves a raise as do all the hard working staff members!

Room Tip: Ask when booking--if you want a quiet room you probably want to be away from other rooms if possible...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a superior room at the Portway Inn and was assured that the room I wanted was available, it was to be a special break away for my husband and myself. On arrival we were shiown to a standard room with a view onto the car park a ghastly small bathroom which smelt of sewerage! The owner said there had been a mistake made and the room had been double booked. He knew about this some days before but did not think to phone me and give me the chance to book somewhere else, when we complained he just said' I like this room and I thought you wouldn;t mind having it'. To me it was small, noisy and far from the superior room I had booked, he said he could put us in another better room the next day but not in the room I had chosen. We had to endure traffic outside on the main road all night.
We didn't do very well in the restaurant either! Gammon on the menu but none available and the crab cakes I had were overcooked and tasted like hot cardboard! The only good thing were the staff who were all lovely but very embarrassed about everything. When will these places learn that you have to be VERY GOOD these days with so much competition, I admit that if I had been told that the room of my choice was not available I would have gone elsewhere. the fact that he offered a reductuion for a standard room did not help,I wanted something special.
Needless to say we will never return there.

Room Tip: Check the day f arrival that you have the room you have chosen.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Portway Inn? Share your experiences!