“A piece of paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bowen Island Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowen Island
Bowen Island Hideaway
Ranked #2 of 13 Bowen Island B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“A piece of paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Hideaway was an absolutely beautiful place for us to spend our first trip to Bowen Island. We stayed in the Fiddle Head room which was a unique combination of luxury and rustic west coast decor. The room was perfect to relax and lounge in after a long day spent hiking on Mt. Gardner. Waking up to the spectacular view of Killarney Lake and the surrounding mountains each morning was breathtaking. Heidi is a gracious host, and an outstanding chief. Her breakfasts are truly gourmet and some of the best food we've ever had. This lovely B&B is the perfect place for anyone who wants to get away from the noise and bustle of the city. We will definitely be back to visit the Hideaway again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
killarnylakewalker, Owner at Bowen Island Hideaway, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Deanna,

Thanks for your comments on our little bed and breakfast. I am glad you took the time to climb Mount Gardner. The view is worth it! Also, I am really glad you enjoyed your breakfast. That is the best part of my job as I enjoy cooking. Hope you stay with us again in the future.

Heidi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

If what you'd love is to take a water taxi from downtown Vancouver, (you can come by car too), and then take an easy 45 minute hike in the beauty of nature along Killarney Lake, come up the hill on their property and be welcomed by a beacon of light from your private entrance, shower in the spacious and beautiful bathroom that opens up with sliding doors from an equally peaceful and spacious bedroom with a king size comfy bed, luxuriate in an outdoor hot tub with the utmost privacy, overlooking the misty lake and surrounded by lovely gardens, then this place is for you. We brought our own dinner and the kitchenette more than provided everything we needed to have our romantic meal. Heidi, our lovely host served us a beautiful and delicious gluten-free breakfast of blueberry banana buckwheat pancakes, the yummiest poached egg nested in perfectly crisp bacon, fresh orange juice and tea/coffee. What a peaceful, restful and rejuvenating place to be! We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
islandhideaway, Owner at Bowen Island Hideaway, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hi Clemie,

I am really glad you and Tim enjoyed your stay with us. You mentioned you would like chairs beside the hot tub and I hope to have some by the time you arrive again.

Heidi Kuhrt
www.islandhideaway.ca
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice; once on a getaway with my husband, and once with a friend for a girls' weekend. This is a wonderful place with gorgeous, stylish rooms, amazing breakfasts and gracious hosts. You can enjoy the peace, quiet and unobstructed view, uncork a bottle of wine, bask in the hot tub, open a good book, and never leave. Or, you can walk around the park, head into town, peruse the shops and dine-out. I look forward to my next excuse to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stella c
islandhideaway, Owner at Bowen Island Hideaway, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks Stella for your review. I am really happy that you found our place welcoming when you came for a romantic get-away and also when you came for a girl's weekend away. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Objectively, this is a gorgeous, immaculate, stylish place to stay. I love the polished concrete floors and wood finishes. Heidi provides great service and the food is fantastic. Still, there were a few things that led us to decide that we probably wouldn't return. I thought I'd share these so that people with similar preferences would be fully informed.

First - the road (if you could call it that) to the Hideaway is terrible. Most of it is single-lane dirt with sparse gravel and lots of potholes and large rocks. We had figured that since the owners state on the website they own and drive a hybrid, the roads would be rustic but manageable. Turns out they drive a hybrid SUV, not the Prius we had imagined would be in the driveway. We were very nervous about the toll this was taking on our car. Also, I'm in the second trimester of my first pregnancy and it was very uncomfortable on my already-achy back. I'd recommend you take a truck or SUV to the property if possible.

Second - the website was honest that the owners have cats and allow pets. I do have very mild pet allergies (to some cats and dogs), but they're usually completely manageable and I wasn't put off from staying. I was pleasantly surprised that the accommodations were so immaculate and free of pet smell. My allergies are usually manageable enough that I've done dog/cat sitting for a number of friends and have looked into getting a dog of my own. However, I ended up having the worst allergic reaction I've had in probably 15 years - to the point where we would have had to leave if the town general store didn't have any antihistamines. I mention this because a lot of allergy sufferers, like myself, manage symptoms well enough that cats and dogs are usually not an issue. If you've ever had pet allergy symptoms, I'd recommend you stay clear or spend the weekend pill popping. This is probably the only reason that I would not return.

Finally - I didn't like how breakfast was served, considering my husband and I were visiting for a romantic weekend. Breakfast is served around 9:30 am. First, someone will knock on your door, then come in to set your breakfast table. Then, someone will come back at least once (if not twice) with drinks and food. Finally, Heidi likes visit to make sure you enjoyed your first night staying. The first morning, we didn't expect breakfast to be such an interactive experience, so we just put on our robes. This felt super awkward and it was a little bit of a romantic buzz-kill. The second morning, I felt like I needed to get up and get fully dressed to accept breakfast. If you're on the island to get up early and want to leave right after breakfast to go hiking or exploring, I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem. Since we were there away for a romantic getaway, it felt a little intrusive. I'm a fan of the "knock and leave a tray outside" method of in-suite breakfast delivery.

Basically, the Hideaway just isn't my personal cup of tea, but it is very nice. We have lots of friends that like very active vacations that enjoy traveling with their dogs. If they asked, I would definitely recommend the Bowen Island Hideaway.

Room Tip: Stay in the Fiddle Head. We avoided the Fox Glove room because the website said it only had a hand-h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Naomi J
Thanks so mush for your review. I am glad you found our food and our place good.

I do try to meet each of my guests just to say hello and let them know I am here to help if it is required. I find that breakfast is the best time to do this as I do not meet people when they arrive. Nor do I want to knock on their door.

Guests are welcome to eat breakfast in their robes or pajamas and this is why we serve it to them in their rooms and not in the common dining area like we used to. I do serve a very large breakfast and it is simply not feasible to leave a tray outside the door as it requires 2 trays.

I am sorry that you had an allergic reaction here. We do have two cats and we do allow pets. Also we are in a natural location surrounded by pollinating trees. When you came it was spring and the pollen was probably at its peak as well. We do try to keep the rooms spotless but of course it is impossible to keep the rooms allergen free. Many people ask if they should come if they have pet allergies and my response is, no this is not the place for you if you are very sensitive.

Our road is a bumpy, windy dirt road. I do try to make this clear on both my website and in my confirmation email. I do not want people to feel that I have lied to them about the road. We are in a very rural setting and this is what most of our guests come here for: to get away from the city.

You are right. Bowen Island Hideaway is not a typical hotel. So we are not for everyone. We are a rural bed and breakfast for people to want to try something a little different. We live at the end of a dirt road. As a bed and breakfast you stay with us in our house which means that we try to make you feel at home rather than being sterile and off hand like a hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a wonderful stay! The breakfasts were amazing and fuelled me for my many adventures on the island. The beautiful sun was shining on the little patio outside my bedroom where I could rest while listening to the hummingbirds fly by as they fed from the hanging ruby feeders. The deer would stop grazing on plants and stare up at me as I sat on the patio chair looking out on the lake below. It was magical.
The trail at the base of the property is convenient and beautiful along Lake Killarney.
The hospitality was great! Heidi and David helped me figure out what things to see and do on the island. They are a friendly and charming couple.
The accommodations were clean, peaceful and relaxing. The bathroom was beautiful with heated tile floors. I plan on going back next time I'm on Bowen island!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
killarnylakewalker, Owner at Bowen Island Hideaway, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hi Natalie,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and we look forward to seeing you in the next few months!

Heidi
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

The primary thing to know is there is no shower. The bath is lovely, but if you plan to take a sweaty hike and clean off in the shower this is not for you. Most listings about this place do not make clear there is no shower. There is a detachable handle on the tub but without a surrounding curtain you can't stand up and use it without soaking everything.

Also, the girl they employ to deliver the breakfast speaks very poor English. This is not normally a problem but on our final morning she was supposed to warn us that BC Hydro was going to shut our road from 10-1pm so we had to be out by 10, but we had no idea this was what she was trying to tell us. Rather we were jut annoyed that she had banged on our door at 8:30AM for no apparent reason. Thankfully Heidi followed up with a letter we understood so we could escape in time.

The hot tub is really nice and probably the best feature here. If you're excited for a hot tub, you won't be disappointed.

The road to get here is very rough and rugged. If you have a city-type car it may not make it or get its underside scraped. But if your car can handle it, it helps make it feel secluded.

There was no phone in the room and as Americans that meant we had no way to make local calls for things like dinner reservations or to contact Heidi. Also, even tho we were there for 2 nights there was no cleaning service.

It also should be noted that while the bed looks like a king it's actually two twins smashed together with some foam wedged between them. Not quite as nice as an actual king.

If none of these small inconveniences sound problematic for you then you'll probably love this place. The ambiance and decor are excellent.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
islandhideaway, Owner at Bowen Island Hideaway, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Both rooms have showers. I has a standup shower. The other, the one with a jetted bath has a hand held shower.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed in Bowen Island Hideaway for 2 nights because we had a wedding on the island. It was a very secluded and comfortable place to stay. From our room we had a beautiful view on the lake, and spending time in the outside jacuzzi was very relaxing.
It's a real hideaway! If you don't have a car or a bike, you should take into consideration that all the shops/restaurants/ferry are a 40 minute walk.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 15 in Gibsons
The Pointhouse at Sargeant Bay
The Pointhouse at Sargeant Bay
#2 of 6 in Halfmoon Bay

Been to Bowen Island Hideaway? Share your experiences!