“Good Greasy Spoon”

K-Cafe
Salt Spring Island, Canada
“Good Greasy Spoon”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent value breakfasts ... good bacon, good pan fries ... bad coffee ... but hey, at 7 bucks for a breakfast, who's complaining.

Visited August 2013

Burnaby, Canada
“WORST PLACE FOR SERVICE”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is our second trip through Keremeos this year and twice we stopped into this restaurant. The first trip, we stopped in for dinner. My husband ordered a cheese burger with sweet potato fries - those never arrived at the table even though we were assured the restaurant had them. I ordered an omelet and asked that the cheese be omitted. The omelet arrived with cheese, so I mentioned to the server that I did not want the cheese, as it has a tendency to make me feel ill. She offered to scrape the cheese off, and I told her this was not acceptable. I did get a new omelet but after my husband had finished eating. We thought it was just a bad night, and decided not to comment.
This past weekend, we went there for breakfast on Sunday - three of us, my husband, our adult son, and myself. We all ordered breakfast, and I ordered a soup with my omelet. Table was dirty, and we wiped it off ourselves. Coffee and iced water eventually arrived. Soup and omelet were served together, and when I asked the surly waitress which one I was expected to eat cold, she took my omelet back. As soon as I finished my soup, my omelet was delivered by a huge, woman in a dirty apron whom I assumed to be the cook. She slammed my plate down in front of me as if challenging me to say anything about the dish. I was so flabbergasted by this action, I could not say anything. I ate the dry omelet as we were anxious to get on the road again and head home. Upon leaving, my son asked to speak to the manager and to his surprise, the surly waitress claimed to be the owner of this establishment. In front of all the customers, she advised him that we would never be welcomed back into her establishment.
I can see that these are pretty incredible statements from someone who owns and operates a dirty restaurant, provides surly and slow service, and is incredibly unpleasant to the customers. Yes, we are tourists, but we do drive through there often. Yes, we share our experiences with friends and neighbors who also drive this route often. The owner can rest easy - I promise her faithfully I will never ever return.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Iris K
Oliver, Canada
“where is the health inspector???”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

this place was disgusting the place was so dirty nasty food on the floor grumpy servers I have nothing good to say about this place except where is that Health inspector?
the place was so bad I refused to stay...I have worked in many restaurants and some where very old buildings BUT AT LEAST THEY WHERE CLEAN!!! this place was not fit for pigs and I really do not know how it has not been shut down!!!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank ppeart
Burnaby, BC
“Our breakfast stop”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

What's a road trip without one surly server? Ours was so grumpy that my kids were afraid to ask for a glass of water! (She eventually loosened up and gave us a smile by the time we were leaving, lol, and of course we left a tip anyway.) Otherwise, we had a pretty good breakfast--the eggs were perfect and the hash browns were scrumptious. It's what I would call a 'greasy spoon' but I don't mean that in a bad way. It's an old-timey cafe with decent inexpensive meals. We've stopped here before and I imagine we'll stop here again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank thrumpin
Keremeos, Canada
“Great value and food”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I hesitate to use the term *greasy spoon", but this little restaurant on main street may fit the label. It is very slowed down and casual, and has some massive meals for cheap. There is a reason why so many retired people hang out, and eat here regularly. You can afford to go out and eat, and you may actually be full afterward. As people have said, the fish and chips are great! 2 huge pieces of tender fish, with a real nice light batter, on a huge pile of homemade chips. Burger platters are huge, and they have daily specials which are all great value for their "comfort foods". If you don't need fancy,and are hungry, you gotta try.

• Visited May 2013