“Consistently good food”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
vancouver, BC, Canada
“Consistently good food”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Le Regalade is a fairly small restaurant and the tables are placed close together, so if you're looking for a romantic evening this isn't the place for that. Also, it can get noisy when it's busy since there aren't many soft surfaces to absorb the sounds. And in the winter it can be cold sitting next to the windows.

I've read the reviews about the inconsiderate and bad tempered staff and owner. We visited La Regalade very recently and this was probably our fourth visit over the past several years. Each time we've dined here we've enjoyed our interactions with the wait staff. The only unfortunate incident we've had was, having been seated where an overloaded coat rack stood directly behind me, it ended up toppling over and landing on me. The server quickly uprighted it and secured it with some rope, but never really apologized to me. In fact, she commented that it was bound to happen sooner or later which left me wondering, if the coat rack was that precarious why wasn't something done about it before it clobbered a customer?! But, as I said, aside from that incident everything has gone well. In fact, on our latest visit we ordered an appetizer to share (a pear and cheese tart accompanied by a small salad, which I enthusiastically recommend). It was thoughtfully divided it onto two serving boards, one for each of us, which I thought was a very nice, considerate touch.

We have always ordered the boeuf borgignon because it's so wonderful, and we did again on this visit. It was very good, but my husband and I both recalled that it had been better on previous visits. Possibly our imaginations? Hard to say. The portion is very generous and we couldn't eat it all.

Overall, based on our experience, I would recommend this restaurant to others because we have found the food to be of consistently high quality and the portions are not measly.

• Visited November 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Don't eat here unless you want to be hit on the head by a menu”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stay away from this restaurant. It's crowded, loud, hot, the service was horrible, and the food does NOT make up for it. We were sitting for 45 min before we even received a menu. This restaurant uses life-size chalkboards that sit on an easel that they bring around to each table. This is a cute touch IF there was room in the restaurant. But it's so crowded that they are constantly being knocked around, and unfortunately one of the waiters knocked it and it fell on my head. The server gave me a barely audible 'sorry' (this was not genuine at all) and added 'this happens all the time'. She actually looked frustrated at me, as if it was my fault! Clearly, this happens much too often and she was frustrated that it happened again. I think it's time to go to the traditional menus. The server also forgot my husband's meal and it ended up being late, we constantly had to ask for our waters to be refilled, and the food was mediocre at best. My salad came with a olive tempanade dressing (not described on the menu) - and I asked for another dressing as I'm not an olive fan and it's quite a strong taste. The server begrudgingly took my salad back and 10 min later came with a new salad...only to find out that it had the exact same dressing! The food was very oily and not fresh tasting, and not once did anyone come around to ask us how our meal was. I should also add, the next day I sent a comment to the owner of this restaurant to explain my experience, and the email I received back was "Sorry, stupid comment". I can see why the service staff is so grumpy and overworked - if that's who they have running the restaurant. There are so many amazing restaurants in West Vancouver, I would not waste my time or money going to this restaurant - it's definitely not worth it.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank canadianwonderer
Vancouver, Canada
“Consistently Satisfying”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is consistently pleasing. Everyone loves the onion soup, we order it even in summer. Their menu is a chalk board and lists the standard items and daily specials. We have our favourites on the menu but order something different sometimes. Rarely disappointed. Service is okay to good and the atmosphere is relaxed.

Visited September 2013
North Vancouver, Canada
“Tres tres bon”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was a great meal with unexpected ingredients. Exellent choice of french wines. Service was thoughtful and approprialely friendly.

• Visited October 2013
North Vancouver, Canada
“A True Dining Experience!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you like French food, you will love this restaurant. As with all good French restaurants, the experience begins with the aromas which greet you as you enter. The menu is extensive, and is delightful to read while you enjoy either some wine or a cocktail. The service is good, and the presentation is well done. But thuis restaurant is all about both the quality and quantity of the food. Hot dishes are often served in a covered casserole. It is worht taking a few seconds to simplu savour the aroma of your choice when first removing the lid. Every bite is a guaranteed taste treat. And one of my favourite things: unless you are famished, you can take home the balance of the culinary experience to re-live your meal at lunch or dinner at home the next day! The only down sides are that the hard low ceiling results in the restaurant being pretty noisy when it is full, and the tables are quite close together. However, neither of these shortcomings should deter anyone from a lovely dining experience!

Visited November 2012