“A very French experience”
Review of La Regalade - CLOSED

La Regalade
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When you walk thru the door at La Regalade you leave Canada behind; suddenly, you're in a country bistro somewhere in Provence. In fact, I spent a month in Provence recently and found myself wishing more than once that I was having French food as good as Regalade's.

As others have stated it has it's issues, but I would disagree with them that these are imperfections that need to be addressed, quite the opposite: this is what you call character, and it is to be celebrated! The restaurant reflects the personalities of its owners who wait your table and cook your food. Their hospitality is resplendant in the size of the portions, and the wine list, that one reviewer called "a tad scrawny" is actually quite typical of a small French country restaurant: not extensive with A List kind of choices, but full of reliable selections that pair well with the food. This isn't Paris, and it doesn't try to be.

My only complaint is that it's in West Van instead of down the street from my house. Of all the restaurants in Vancouver, this is the one I'd choose for *my* neighborhood restaurant.

1  Thank UnrepentantFoodie

Reviewed March 10, 2012

The food is delicious, no question about it but I found the servers to be slightly haughty. Perhaps it is just the Gallic manner and if you want to experience the real thing you just have to put up with the attitude. Anyway I would certainly return as you can't get that level of French cooking anywhere else.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Pretty decent french country style cooking with very healthy food servings. I had the duck which was excellent. My wife had a large veal chop and friends had the filet and the lobster so we sampled half of the menu. The place is not very nicely appointed and the wine list was a tad scrawny but the overall experience was very good. Street parking.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

A wonderful cozy French bistro... skilled/friendly waiters, wonderful smells, amazing food, great wine. My fiancee and I celebrated a milestone at La Regalade Saturday night and we shared the roast duck once again.... for the 4th straight time. The roast duck main is very large and is prepared with apples and grapes and served with potatoes au gratin - an amazing dish on a cold winter night. We started with a parmesan tomato tart and La Regalade's seafood salad and had a nice Hermitage blend. Everything was exceptional.

The only negative was having a table by the window. We didn't arrive until 8:45pm and were one of the last tables. As things slow down, it gets quite cool for those seated next to the floor to ceiling windows.

Alain and Brigitte have had this amazing eatery for 10 years and we have never been disappointed. We are very lucky to have such a special place in our neighbourhood.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Always crowded, but great ambiance and FANTASTIC food. Huge portions and great selection.