“Was a favorite until . . .”

Red Lion Bar and Grill
Ranked #37 of 154 Restaurants in West Vancouver
Cuisines: Bar, British, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bay Village, Ohio
“Was a favorite until . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Whenever I visit my family in Vancouver I make a point of having at least one meal at this restaurant. I've done this many times and I've never been disappointed. This time I was. Maybe the cook and the bartender were having an off-day. I've always liked their fish 'n' chips but this time the portions were small and the batter coating was greasy. I ordered a Guinness to go with my meal and it arrived at the table way too soon for it to have been poured properly. On the other hand the hostess and server were courteous and friendly. Will I give The Red Lion another chance? Of course I will. One bad meal won't keep me away

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Dolores M

In front of my computer
“Firm Favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

I eat there twice a week and have been for almost a decade. Why do you think I keep going back - it's not rocket science!

• Visited May 2014
Portland, Oregon
“A family favourite!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We live in the states, but whenever we come to town, it's always a fun place to spend time with family. Comfort food to an extreme. Excellent, courteous service, and just a warm, comfortable atmosphere. Without hesitation, I always try the chef special. One night they offered chocolate salami for dessert. This was a little worrisome as we had no idea what to expect, but it was beyond belief... and more were ordered. I believe my last dish there was the duck. Exquisite. My parents are fans of the clam chowder, though admittedly I am not. Personal preference. This is a north shore gem.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank TravelNurseOHN
West Vancouver, Canada
“We were ignored”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Finally the waitress came over.... we managed to get some drinks after sitting at the table for 10mins. Nobody greeted us or sat us down. Ok, it was just after the grey cup game. Some drunk fans still there.

So after getting menus we were ignored for another 15mins. It seemed like the head waitress was the only one running around and we were invisible. The bartender and another younger waitress were more keen to sing to the lyrics of the music on the stereo system than pay any attention to customer's needs.

When we asked why we were sat waiting for so long our server came back with the utensils and said "Because I've offended you so much I'll have the bartender serve you tonight" and walked off. We were all kind of speechless.

Maybe it wasn't her night and drunk grey cup fans may have tormented her... but we come here often and have always enjoyed the food and cozy atmosphere.

So much for that. We're going somewhere else next time. What a shame.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank 290peterf
Vancouver, Canada
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The food was quite good and the service was OK but for some reason the owner (I think), who was not especially welcoming, sat us right next to an incredibly noisy table. There were only two tables occupied in the rear section so why would any one place us right next to a very noisy group, and I am not talking about just loud talking. Raucous is the word that comes to mind. It ruined our lunch. We could have asked to be moved but by the time it became obvious it was a serious ongoing issue we were already getting our food and drinks. We finished and left quickly.

I am just mystified why, with all the other tables in the back section available we would be placed right next to such a noisy table. In the past I have recommended the Red Lion to clients - never again.

• Visited August 2013