“More information about potatoes than you probably knew”

Canadian Potato Museum
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in O'Leary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 18, 2013

After spending the better part of a week on PEI we ended out trip with a visit to this museum which was a very interesting stop. As it turns out PEI is one of the worlds largest growers of potatoes and their soil gives them a unique, good flavor. The museum provides a complete history from first discovery through the various types of machinery developed over the years, of which many machines are on display. Presumably correct, one display states that Thomas Jefferson brought the concept of 'French fries' back from Paris In the 1780's.

The museum is located in the small town of O'Leary on the western end of PEI. Admission is 8 C$ per adult/ 7 C$ per senior + 5% tax, May 15 to Oct 15, 9a-5p. See: http://www.peipotatomuseum.com/visitor.htm .

1  Thank etntripper

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Loved this museum! Honestly, I knew nothing about potatoes. And they have potatoe fudge, who knew! Good for all ages

1  Thank JohnandDeborah
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had booked a package with the Westpoint lighthouse inn that included a tour to this museum. The host of the museum was very friendly and accomodating. We had lunch (french fries and potato skins) while she prepared the setting for the potato fudge. After participating in the making of the fudge, it was put in the fridge and we went on to visit the museum which has lots of information + all kind of farming equipment as well as other antique that bring back memories of your youth. After the visit, we cut our own fudge and get to taste it and then we could take many pièces with us. It was delicious. A great experience overall.

2  Thank Jp L
Reviewed September 10, 2013

When we visited here we spent a lot more time than I expected we would. We started with something to eat - fries for my husband and skins for me, and they were good. Saw the video (which wasn't fuzzy that day) and toured the museum, which provided a load of information about things you don't think of, like how Canada is sought out for advice by other countries on growing potatoes. It was particularly interesting for me, as I grow potatoes in my veg garden, and I was able to get some great ideas for the future. We came home with a potato cookbook, and are looking forward to making things like potato fudge, which we tasted at the museum.

1  Thank MEBJHB
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We passed up the potato museum last year but made a point of coming this year. It is an interesting and informative museum with well laid out exhibits that explain all about the potato and it's history - which is more convoluted than I would have thought. It also gives a lot of insight into the economy of PEI and the potato farming industry. I would thoroughly recommend timing your visit with lunch. We ate the best French fries we have ever had here! The potato soup and potato biscuit were also excellent.

2  Thank Vicky W