“Excellent museum”

49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Excellent museum”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

When we visited here we spent a lot more time than I expected we would. We started with something to eat - fries for my husband and skins for me, and they were good. Saw the video (which wasn't fuzzy that day) and toured the museum, which provided a load of information about things you don't think of, like how Canada is sought out for advice by other countries on growing potatoes. It was particularly interesting for me, as I grow potatoes in my veg garden, and I was able to get some great ideas for the future. We came home with a potato cookbook, and are looking forward to making things like potato fudge, which we tasted at the museum.

1 Thank MEBJHB

Skowhegan, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Worth a visit to appreciate more about PEI”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We passed up the potato museum last year but made a point of coming this year. It is an interesting and informative museum with well laid out exhibits that explain all about the potato and it's history - which is more convoluted than I would have thought. It also gives a lot of insight into the economy of PEI and the potato farming industry. I would thoroughly recommend timing your visit with lunch. We ate the best French fries we have ever had here! The potato soup and potato biscuit were also excellent.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Vicky W
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“There is a lot to know about potatoes!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We made the drive to the west side of the island from the east side. The roads were well marked and made finding the potato museum easy once we were in O'Leary. We thought that it would be a quick museum to go through, but were surprised by the amount of information that there was about potatoes. We learned a lot and the museum is just about the right size... any larger and my attention span would have been gone. There are a few video exhibits, but the sound is really really quiet, so it is hard to hear them. Plus, the videos all appear to be made in the 80's. There is a small area for kids to play with a sandbox and toys, but there aren't any interactive exhibits, so I can imagine that most kids would be super bored here. It was very interesting to see the history of potatoes on the island and the way that the potatoes are cross-pollinated to make new varieties. My husband and I are growing potatoes in our garden, so it had special meaning to us. At the end of the potato museum, there is a cafe that serves only potato-based foods. We had packed our lunch, so we didn't eat there. The gift shop had a lot of cutesy potato-related trinkets to purchase. Don't miss the small community museum that is next to the gift shop. They have a lot of interesting items from the community and some interesting facts (PEI didn't get electricity until the 1950s). And, obviously, one of the big draws is the photo op with the giant, fiberglass potato in the front of the museum. This is a great little museum for adults or older kids. I would skip it if you have younger kids who don't have the attention span to go through a museum where there is nothing to touch.

3 Thank Blondebetty123
Halifax, Canada
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Maybe if you are in the area, but I wouldn't make a special trip...”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

... unless you are really interested in farming. I think if you know farming, or have a particular interest in potatoes, then it is probably fascinating. I personally didn't find the displays overly engaging and found it overpriced for what it was ($8.00 + tax). I think we maxed out our interest level in 20-25 minutes. We then headed to the canteen to try some of their renowed hand-cut chips, and were intrigued by some of the other items on the menu, like potato cinnamon rolls. Unfortunately, everything was pretty much sold out. There were a few stale samples on the counter, and the rather unpleasant woman working behind the desk told us that the fryers had been switched off. It was a whole half hour before closing. Reluctantly, she turned them back on. And we left with our chips - which were all right, but they certainly weren't 'the best on the Island'. It was novelty enough to say we had been to a 'Potato Museum' but I wouldn't make a special trip to go there.

1 Thank AJM_13
Toronto, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Lots of history”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really enjoyed this place. There was lots to do and see. They many video presentations, pictures, old equipment, family photo albums and stories. Most people could do this in 1-2 hours but I spent about 3 hours as I read most of the stories and enjoyed browsing. However, there is a part to the museum which I found weird. There was a part of the museum dedicated to an old doctors medical practise and some of the things were disturbing such as the iron lung. Don't visit that part with children. As you leave there is a country gift shop along with a cafeteria.

Visited June 2013