“OVERRATED”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighborhood: Whalley
Neighborhood: Whalley
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went there by myself and had forgotten my glasses. There was only candlelight and I could not read the menu properly or see the prices. I had wanted Greek food and there is a lot on the menu that is not Greek. I asked the waitress for a magnifying glass and there was none. She did not offer to read me the menu. I would have liked to see the prices, which I think may all have been around $17 and up for the entrees.

She told me about a steak and lobster special, which I had for $28. It was a higher priced restaurant than I had imagined it to be, given its location. It was a lot more than I had planned to pay for a meal.

The food came with salad and pita bread. The pita bread was out of this world. The salad was good but, instead of feta cheese, there was some sort of grated cheese on top of it. Not sure what kind of salad it was supposed to be really.

There was lots of rice and a quarter of a potato on the plate, with steak and a fish tail. I couldn't swear it was lobster, as I know restaurants often serve crayfish. It wasn't a big lobster tail if that's what it was.

The rice and the meagre potato were quite nice. The steak and fish were also quite nice but very salty - both of them. Too salty.

The service was friendly but apalling. I arrived at 4.00 p.m. and they said they were open for dinner. I was the only one there and service was slow. Waitresses were standing around chatting to each other and to the occasional people who walked in for takeout food.

My salad took a long time to come. There was endless time between the salad and the main course, and nobody was following up. By this time, there was only one other couple in the restaurant and three waitresses. Mine must have forgotten me because a second waitress brought me my food after a very long time indeed. I wondered how long it had been sitting on the counter.

There appeared to be only one person in the kitchen. I never saw anyone working in the place who looked the slightest bit Greek, which was disappointing. How authentic the Greek recipes and ingredients are, only a Greek would be able to tell me I suppose.

I waited and waited to be offered another glass of wine. I had to call a waitress over in the end. Later, as my plate was removed, I was not asked if I would like dessert or anything else.

So I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I called a waitress over and asked for the dessert menu. There was no dessert menu, but she rattled off four things that were available. I chose the red velvet chocolate cake. It was delicious, but I doubt that it was made in house.

Total bill for one, including two glasses of wine and a dessert was $52.

I never did find out exactly what was on the menu because of forgetting my glasses and the fact that it was hard to read in that light anyway.

I was there for two hours, when I should only have been there for one, considering I was the only person there when I arrived, and there were only about five other tables of two being served by three waitresses when I left.

They would have got a higher tip if they had been more attentive. They simply were not.

I see from their website that the menu is posted there. The lunch menu is way cheaper than the dinner menu, for the same thing.

I might give it another try for lunch sometime.

1  Thank Jack J

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our GPS would not locate the address as noted here. It's on King George Hwy.
The place was nearly empty and it's a good size place. The menu does not include non alcoholic drinks so don't forget to ask what's available. We were early eaters and I bet it gets busy as the food was very good. Excellent presentation. Vern had the Lamb Souvlaki and I had the Chicken Souvlaki, basically kebabs of well marinated and seasoned meat over a bed of rice with a half potato and good size greek salad. The pita was divine.

1  Thank ruthandvern
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Freshest ingredients, family flavors! This was a pure treat. The humous was fresh and from there the platter for 2 was divine! Everything exceeded my expectations. They are sorta tucked into a small corner of the plaza, hard to see, but worth the find! Just up from the sky train as well, amazing food!

1  Thank KLMcNabb
Reviewed April 30, 2012

A visit to Greece without leaving Canada. The Lamb is their specialty. And the wine is even better. Try the first night you stay. You will not regret it.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Had the roast lamb for lunch and had to come back the next night to have the larger dinner portion of the same.
Fantastic, and was amazed at the very affordable prices. Will be coming back at every opportunity.