“Tojo's class restaurant of Surrey at affordable price”

Hanako Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 887 Restaurants in Surrey
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Guildford
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Do not expect a fancy place so u do not have to pay for the fancy renovation but the food u get.
If u look for Japanese restaurants that has a Japanese chef and there are repeated Japanese customers, Hanako is the place. Price is higher than the ones across the street or a few blocks away, BUT u get the authentic Japanese food. I love the deep fried prawn that u can eat the head and shell.
U can do it like in Tojo restaurant, specify a price range and let the chef prepare something special for u that may not be on the menu. Do that only if u r not expecting the Canadianized Japanese food.
Be aware of the price on the daily special that is hand written and is almost invisible without glasses. I ordered one item on the special of the day menu when the waitress told me that it was very good. When the bill came, it was over $120 for four small dishes I ordered for the two of us. I then looked closely at the menu and found that the special of the day is a rare fish, five small pieces of half frozen fish for $60.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

After reading some great reviews decided to try this restaurant. Small, decor bare necessities. Waitress unable to answer any inquiries, had to leave us and find out answer to our questions, food really mediocre. Miso soup a disappointment, no flavour and had a couple of prawn heads (no meat on it) floating in soup???? Again, looking forward to dining here as reviews were good. Sorry....much better sushi in surrey area. Will not return here. Also, highest bill we ever paid for sushi/Japanese dinner. Disappointed in this dining experience.

1  Thank Josie K
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I've been there many times. Quality food, very fresh. Friendly staff, good prices for top quality. Excellent selection. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Had many rolls and black cod was good. Scallop and spicy tuna rolls are very good. Restaurant is pretty small only 26 seats but quality and service is great.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The food was a little Burn for my taste, but some people are into the Crispy kind I guess. Too Spicy in my personal opninion. Felt like the place was full of femenist too. The atmosphere just feelt shy overal and I couldn't help but feel a feeling of sadness for it. But I got a good end so is ok I guess.