“Fantastic Food - Service Could be Improved”
Review of Beecher Street Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Surrey
Reviewed May 5, 2011

After reading a number of reviews about Beecher Street Cafe & receiving word-of-mouth recommendations from friends, we decided to try it out last night. There were six of us who went to the restaurant and it was quite empty when we arrived. By the end of our meal the restaurant was full and there was live music playing. The live music was a little over-powering for a restaurant atmosphere, but if you sat in the other half of the restaurant it would have been perfect.

The food was absolutely spectacular!!! Worth going back just for the food (even though the service was lacking). All of the dishes were beautifully and artfully presented with great seasonal vegetables accompanying each dish.
After we placed our order we received a plate with slices of whole grain bread and some whipped maple balsamic butter. Butter was not overly flavourful, but still tasty.
For appetizers we ordered crab cakes, soup du jour (cauliflower cheddar soup) and a caesar salad. All of them were fantastic!! I would particularly recommend the crab cakes which were served in a citrus butter with some sweet chili sauce served alongside for dipping. They were a great size, very moist and didn't have much filler in them as some crab cakes tend to have.
For the main course, two people at our table ordered the "feature pasta" which was tortellini with fresh salmon, halibut and prawns. There was so much seafood in the pasta and the flavours were very decadent. A great bang for your buck here. One other person at our table ordered the rib eye steak which was cooked to perfection (medium as ordered) and served with a lovely pesto, sliced pan fried potatoes, one large homemade onion ring & seasonal veggies. I ordered the Nori Goreng which is an indonesian rice dish with chicken, shrimp, and some delicious yogurt on top. Very flavourful, but I wish they would have used prawns instead of the shrimp in this dish. Cut down on the quantity and put in higher quality seafood. I found the shrimp to taste too fishy for my liking. The rice was beautifully seasoned though and the veggies were crisp cooked which is a nice change from the usual soggy stir fry veggies so many restaurants have. We also ordered the pistachio crusted halibut served with a citrus beurre sauce. It was so moist and flavourful! Served over rice with seasonal vegetables it was a perfect spring/ summer meal. Lastly one member of our party ordered the kobe beef sliders for his main course. Each mini burger was served with a different type of cheese adding a unique flavour profile that put this dish above and beyond the usual sliders. Overall the food was absolutely incredible. I would return here just for the food!

The service was somewhat lacking in little ways. The servers were all very nice and friendly but the service was slow. Our water glasses were left empty for long periods and one of our drink orders was forgotten about until we reminded the server. The food here is not quick, but we didn't mind because we were there for a leisurely meal.

Overall I think if the service were to improve considerably this place would move from a decent venue to a GREAT venue. People remember the service and if it is prompt, friendly and on par with the quality of the food, they will not hesitate to return.

The decor in the restaurant is eclectic and fun. They have some fun colours on the walls, interesting artwork, and wooden floors. There is often live music as there was when we were there. As the evening goes on the atmosphere seemed to get louder and more lively, so if you want a quiet meal go earlier!

Overall, good restaurant that could be great if the service was improved. Go just to try the food though, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 24, 2010

My husband and I used to go to Beecher St. Cafe several times a year . We did notice in the last couple years the quality was slipping and after our visit (almost a year ago) we became extremely dissatisfied with the service and the food.

Well, to make a long story short, we discovered that the owner realized he had a problem (or many of them) and was making some really drastic changes, hopefully for the better. After the memory of our last experience subsided somewhat we decided to see for ourselves if these changes were good or not. They were not just good but actually GREAT!

We had a super dinner (homemade ravioli) and the service was excellent. We WILL return.

I have especially enjoyed their wine dinners in the past and hope they will continue to have them in the coming years.

Congratulations on a great turnaround Rob!

Reviewed January 21, 2009

Returned here after 8 months and it turned for the worse. In previous visits, food was tasty and cooked to proper temperatures. Service was attentive even with a full house. Our recent visit gave us a reality check. Really poor service and over cooked food. Restaurant is not worth going to if it is really slow as they had a rookie server that didn't really know much about wine or food. Not sure if the owner was even in. Asked for a wine by the glass, they were out. Asked for a different wine by the bottle, he couldn't find it. Then giving up I asked server to give me a full body red that they did have in stock and he gave me a so so medium body wine that had no tannin nor taste. No service for over 30 minutes and water glasses sat empty. There were only 3 other tables occupied in the restaurant. After complaining about our over cooked entrees (duck was well done and halibut was very dry) nothing was done about it. Just a soft spoken sorry was given. I would say that if this keeps up, patrons will not return.

Reviewed December 31, 2008

Love their halibut dinners. My top pick for Crescent Beach after a nice walk.