“Gulberg - A treat for your tastebuds” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gulberg Restaurant

Gulberg Restaurant
Ranked #314 of 826 Restaurants in Surrey
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Somerset
“Gulberg - A treat for your tastebuds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was just introduced to Gulberg by a friend of mine who lives in the neighbourhood who highly recommended their kebabs.

We went to dinner on a very busy Saturday evening without a reservation and were welcomed and given the option of waiting or being seated on the Patio. Patio it was! The hostess was very accommodating and informed us as soon as a booth was available.

The restaurant itself looked like it was humming, there were families everywhere and everyone looked like they were enjoying their meal. The restaurant was clean, well staffed and while not overly decorated, the food more than made up for it. There was also some interesting music playing in the background but it did not intrude on your dining experience.

While we went for the kebabs, we ended up walking past the dinner buffet and the food smelled tantalizing and looked mouthwateringly good. The buffet was replenished frequently. I'd say the one thing they could improve on was keeping the buffet tidy as guests kept placing the serving spoons anywhere, which made it a bit messy. I also found though the food was excellent, some of the grilled items on the menu had gone cold and the management could do a better job with keeping the buffet up to temperature at all times.

I liked that the buffet included variety for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike and both were spicy, savoury, flavourful and it was very easy to go back for seconds or thirds of some dishes. The dinner buffet the night we went had papri chaat (lots of fun mixing the flavours you like), tandoori chicken (tasty but gone cold), veggie pakoras (did not try), chilli fish pakoras (spicy, battered tender basa fish), dhal makhani (so tasty!), palak paneer (yummy), beef nihari (fiery curry, beef ready to melt), the ubiquitous butter chicken (did not try).

Stand out dishes for me were the Mughlai Chicken Handi - charcoal grilled chicken simmered with nuts and spices and not a menu item often seen. Their biryani was very tasty and not greasy at all.

I had a sumptuous ending to my meal with the Moong Dhal ki Halwa which is something I've never tried before and am now craving as my new favourite dessert. They also had fruit and rasgullas.

If you like spicy food, dishes you wouldn't see in the typical Indian restaurant, Gulberg is for you. Their food is a mix of Pakistani and Indian dishes, their service is friendly, their menu offers you lots of variety, the location is convenient in terms of parking and not too far off Highway 1, their prices are very reasonable, their quality is excellent and I had a very nice evening with friends.

I plan to go back again to try their selection of kebabs and will bring my appetite and family.

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank looseygoosey

Vancouver Island, Canada
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed their food. It was delicious. Nihari is amazing with fresh nan. It was finger licking, my wife had it first time and she was totally impressed. The food delivery was on time and the staff is very attentive and smily. I will again visit if I am back any time.

4 Thank fraser9285
Surrey
“Disappointing buffet”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Talked my husband into going for lunch on Easter Friday to this restaurant a couple blocks from home. It didn't start well when we entered and the young man at the counter did not look up to greet us. Another man came and literally pointed to where we should sit and brought us water, not another word.

The buffet did look promising, lots of items to choose from. Tandoori chicken, veg pakora, butter chicken, chili chicken and garlic fish, cold salad items and sauces. But the pakoras were dried out, the rice the same, the dishes mostly warmish. They had naan bread sitting there in the buffet selection which was not nice either.

No one ever came to see if all was ok, or if we wanted something other than water. Overall a disappointment, we will not be back.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Hobdeb
Langley City, Canada
“Great lunch buffet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

3 of us ate lunch at this restaurant today and we were all totally pleased with the food. The ladies on staff were a little reserved but once we started to talk to them they were really friendly.

Great naan, butter chicken, tandoori chicken, fresh melon platter, many other dishes, more than enough for a wonderful lunch. Just $9.99 per person. Pleasant décor too.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank nuwife
New Westminster, Canada
“Tasty Indian food to a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went with a friend to a nice trip through Surrey. By chance we ate lunch at a very nice restaurant with Indian and Pakistani cuisine, the “Gulberg”. The offered a buffet as the “New India” in Vancouver is doing too. But the taste was much better here. The butter chicken was very delicious! And it contained clearly much more chicken than the buffet at “New India”. And the vegetarian pakoras were extremely tasty too! We both enjoyed our meal very much. And not only we; there were a lot of Indian (or Pakistani) people you ate here too. This is a sign that it is really good. Otherwise they would eat here. Also the Chai was good as well as the Mango Lassi, that I try to test everywhere. It’s a pity that this restaurant is so far away from any major skytrain station. I would eat here much more often. I can really recommend that place!

• Visited August 2013