“5-Star Staff”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Gig Harbor, Washington
“5-Star Staff”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here two nights ago, as my daughter was in a local competition. Jason was at the desk when we checked in, and he was fabulous. He was super friendly and knew why we were staying there... He asked my daughter about her dancing (he could see that we had used a special room rate for a block of rooms reserved for competitors) and wished her good luck. He cautioned us that it was expected to snow overnight, but that it was anticipated to turn to rain by noon. The hotel itself is very clean. I really liked the carpeting (which sounds strange, I guess) but it was classy and looked new. Our room was spacious, with 2 comfortable queen beds, a large desk, and a large bench. It is very easy to adjust the room temperature, which I love because I run cold. The sink is in the bathroom and not outside (bonus). The pool was pretty standard, in terms of size, and a little too chilly for me (but the kids loved it!) and we were the only ones in there on a Friday night at about 8:30. The hot tub was nice and hot and had great jets. It is a little small - I'm guessing it would seat 6, but it didn't matter because I had it all to myself. There was a sauna, but I didn't look into it. The towels were very small... Couldn't get it to wrap around my waist - but I just grabbed two. Not a big deal. There are plenty of restaurants within easy driving distance. After dinner, we bought a cake for my daughter's birthday, and upon arriving back in our room, I realized I had no way to cut a cake. I called the front deck to ask if I could borrow a butter knife, and Jason said, "Sure". When I went down and explained, he gave me paper plates and napkins and a knife... He wanted to get me a cake knife, but I told him it wasn't necessary. He went out of his way and was so nice about it. I am sure there were plenty of people at the hotel, but we saw almost no one, and we slept soundly with no hallway noise. The breakfast area in the morning was very nice and perfectly clean. We were the only ones in there at around 7:00am, which was surprising but nice. The food was mostly the standard fare, but there was a pancake machine ( never seen one) and they were delicious, and the cinnamon rolls were really good, too. We have always stayed at the Sheraton when we have come to Surrey, which is about 4 blocks away. There, you have to pay for Wi-Fi, you have to pay (a lot) for parking, and there is no free breakfast. At the Holiday Inn Express, the room was just as nice, the parking is free right out front, the Wi-Fi is free, and there is a nice, free breakfast. Oh, and the room rate is much more reasonable, too. This is my new hotel in Surrey.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Noinod5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Chcago
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was looking for a better than average hotel that didn't cost my next paycheck. Fortunately TripAdvisor directed me to the 2013 Best in Surrey, BC - fairly close to my business location.
The cleanliness was outstanding, the service and value received - denoted by others met the accolades received in previous reviews. If you have a car - the location for multiple dining is good, and the location to HWY 1 is outstanding. I absently forgot a few items - and upon my return to home and message from hotel was received notifying me of my items left. Never have I left items - to receive the first phone call from the hotel. So - if you're travelling in the Surrey, BC area... this is the hotel to stay. You will be comfortable, and appreciative that you did.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank pss_offd
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Come here with our grandchildren - pool the best!!! Breakfast a great bonus to our stay! Coming again end of the year for our third time! Clean, friendly, great rates. The best we've found! Front desk staff always pleasant, courteous and very friendly!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank fallywall
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your great review and also for being one of our regular guests. The best compliment we can get is when a guest states we are their chosen hotel when traveling to Surrey and the Lower Mainland and we love being your home away from home.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Cheryl
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed here Jan 1st for business. WIFI impossible - 3 minutes to load up gmail home page for example. Wired cable option offered at front desk. When my particular computer did not offer Ethernet I was told that I did not understand how WIFI works and that I must understand WIFI works 'differently in winter.' Business center access offered as alternative. Quite unimpressed by the attitude of the front desk clerk (Jason). Rude is all I can say. Sheets in my room were also stained!

Seriously would not consider this hotel if using for business. Won't be coming back here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Charles C
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. I am very sorry to hear that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I truly appreciate you bringing these frustrations to my attention, and please be assured the matters you mention will be thoroughly investigated. Customer service and reliable internet are two important cornerstones of a successful stay and all measures will be taken to address these concerns. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you and sincerely hope you won't mind contacting me directly.

Cheryl
gm@hiesurrey.com
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was close to many amenities in Surrey including the large Guildford Shopping Centre. Easy access to Hwy 1 which made for easy commute to downtown Vancouver. We were given great rates and the rooms were nice and new looking. The free breakfast offered was the best free breakfast I've ever seen in a hotel. It was buffet style with eggs and sausage and pancakes. As well as bagels, cinnamon rolls, English muffins, toast, cereal and yogurt. There was a wide variety of drinks to choose from including apple,orange,and cranberry juice as well as hot chocolate, tea and coffee. I will definitely be staying here again in the future.

Stayed December 2013
Kamloops
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fairly new, very clean, and well appointed. There is a nice size desk, and the room is of moderate size. My only complaint would be the quality of the bed itself, it wasn't terrible by any means, but wasn't a top quality bed. The included hot breakfast in the morning was excellent (eggs, sausage, cinnamon buns, fruit, etc). In all, quite a good hotel for the price

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Glen W
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a just off the highway accommadation, however noise was not a issue. The hotel is modern and the rooms are "nice basic" definatly don't book unless you have a car or don't mind paying $$$ for taxis as it's a bit out of the way for such a busy city.
The free breakfast was pretty good, liked the auto pancake maker, all in all for price I though it was a very good deal. I would certainly visit again if I had a reason.

Stayed November 2013