“Basic Hotel, Friendly Staff, Good Value”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I often stay at the HI Express when travelling through Surrey on Business. The front desk staff are always friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean, and the price is very reasonable for the quality of hotel.

One comment in general about all Holiday Inn Express'. While the breakfast is OK, in recent years the overall quality has gone somewhat down hill, with prepackaged, reheated foods, and paper thin bacon. I can't help but think that if a little more money were spent on the food, customer satisfaction would increase. In any case I tend to stick to the fresh fruit, cereal and toast.

Room Tip: The freeway is to the North, so rooms in the south wing, or on the south side of the building are qu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank scbcme
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four days. The hotel is very well maintained. The staff are wonderful. Any need is met promptly and with a genuine smile. A little out of the way if you are visiting Vancouver. But worth the drive.

Do beware of the new bridge. Your gps will insist you go that way to Vancouver it cost $7 to cross and you can't pay at the bridge. It sends the bill to the rental car company who sticks it to you later. There is a way around it. You just have to learn the route. Ask at the desk and they will give you a map.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is clean and the desk staff very helpful and friendly. It is located on a busy street and near a freeway entrance so there is a lot of noise especially if you are unlucky to get a room on the front side of the hotel. Windows open but the noise is deafening. Okay to sleep once we got to sleep but too noisy to spend much time in the room trying to relax. Breakfast and free coffee available which my husband enjoyed while I slept in. Front desk very helpful with pre-printed directions to the ferries and other locations. Near a large shopping center that includes a Walmart and several near-by restaurants that were quite good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

I truly appreciate all your kind words about our staff and property, thank you for the many great things you stated in your review!
I am sincerely saddened that you did not have a relaxing sleep however, as that is essentially what you want most from your chosen hotel, we understand. The front side rooms do face 104th Ave which at times can be a very busy street, especially in the summer. I've noticed guests use the fan "white noise" from the self-controlled air conditioner/heater in their room to dull any traffic, but realize that is not the option some wish to use, I also prefer an open window.
We do try earnestly to fulfil any requests from our guests whenever possible, and hope you will try us again. Feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to ensure a successful stay on the back side which faces the forest behind us and is quite peaceful, as you will notice in previous reviews.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your experience with us, and I wish you safe and happy travels!

Cheryl
gm@hiesurrey.com

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed for one night on our way to Vancouver from Calgary.The Receptionist was helpful and we we given a quiet room away from the road.The room was large, clean and all that we expected.We given advice about local restaurants and a map which was helpful.The breakfast room was large with a good choice of food including cereal,pancakes,boiled eggs,toast tea, coffee and fruit juices and this was included in the reasonable price.The hotel is ideal for travellers using the TransCanada highway and was clearly being used by workers on a contract in the local area.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the rear of the hotel
Reviewed August 14, 2013

...but it did not live up to my expectations. Stayed here for six nights in August. Jason, the fellow at the desk when we checked in was outstanding. He went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. Kudos to him for that. The day staff were also very good and helped us with maps and restaurant suggestions. As for housekeeping, some staff were great and others not so much. The first part of our stay - Wed, Thurs, Friday and Sat were good; the room was cleaned in a timely manner and we had no issues. Not so for Sunday and Monday. Found lots of stray dark hairs in the bathroom on those days and no one in our party had dark hair. One of the biggest complaints I had was with the parking situation. I have a disabled placard and there were only 4 stall available. The stalls to the right of the door were great; large and well situated. The other two were disasters! I had to park in one to the left of the doors on two occasions and since the stall was on a slope, it was difficult to exit my vehicle. One evening, I had to go out to pick up my son and when I got back there were no stalls available. Since walking is my issue, I was concerned. Many patrons parked in two stalls so I was forced to take one of the last remaining stalls near a wooded area behind the hotel. Not exactly safe especially for someone who is unable to walk very well. There was a security guard in the parking lot but he was little help. He did come over to ask if I was ok but did not accompany me to the hotel. Inside, I spoke with the staff member on duty and he seemed indifferent. This facility offers a "free" breakfast but it was not very good. I guess you get what you pay for. I ate there two out of my six mornings. Room temperature was also an issue but only on the last two days. I did mention it to Jason who offered to move me but since it was our last evening, I did not want the hassle of having to move rooms. We put up with the blowing cold for a couple of days...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 13Debs
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for posting your review.
We realize the breakfast is a very personal preference, it seems some guests love it, and some feel it doesn't meet their morning needs. I am very sorry to read that ours did not meet yours.
Your comment about the handicapped parking on our premises is the very first time I've heard of any issues and this troubles me greatly. Accessibility is fundamental and we truly strive to ensure all guests have easy access and adequate parking. While we meet all standards in our parking lot, both in the size and amount of handicapped stalls provided, we will be resurfacing soon and perhaps there may be something we can do to address this concern. It is rare that these stalls are completely occupied, but during these busy summer nights it does happen. I will certainly be asking for the advice of our paving contractor.
Our security company reported that the guard was unsure you would feel comfortable with physical assistance. I will instruct them to make that offer in the future. I am glad to learn you were approached asked if you were okay, but clearly we can do more.
We do strive to offer consistent cleanliness, these stray dark hairs are a dire concern and will be brought to the attention of our housekeeping supervisor and addressed.
Please feel free to contact me directly to make any future booking at our property and I promise to do everything in my power to ensure a very successful and comfortable stay, even reserve one of the stalls spot by the door for you.
Thank you again for posting your review, there is much to be learned by your words and all concerns will be followed up.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at end of July. Perfect weather in beautiful Vancouver. The hotel is right off the trans-Canada highway, but not close enough to hear traffic noise. Seems to be a popular place since both parking and the breakfast room were almost full. The room was very nice. King size bed, microwave, small fridge, AC, desk with wi-fi, and the rate was reasonable. Breakfast was enough to last till dinner, but could stay open a little longer to accomodate the crowd and the late sleepers.
From this location you can drive almost straight down to White Rock & the US border, or take Hwy 1 to downtown Vancouver.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for top floor so you don't get noise from above.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JuanAndOnly
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is an adequate Holiday Inn Express property. Off the beaten path from just about everywhere but close to the #1 highway if you need a place to stop. Front desk staff were friendly, lobby and breakfast area clean and bright, with the usual Express breakfast food. There is a small patio area adjacent to the breakfast area that was locked but when we asked for it to be opened the staff kindly let us eat lunch there. Staff have a map listing of restaurants in the area. Bed was heavenly but pillows lumpy and needing replacing. Sorry but this place loses points for the mold around the bathtub and no recycling bins in the room.

Room Tip: Book a room on the back of the hotel to avoid traffic noise from 104th Avenue
3  Thank CanadianMum
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your review! It seems we fell short of exceeding your expectations and that is most disappointing.
You may be excited to learn that a new pillow program is being introduced to the Holiday Inn Express brand and we will all be upgrading to a much better product. We are all very excited about this as our pillows have been an ongoing struggle - they do mandate what pillows we have in order to deliver consistency, and we look forward to being able to provide that improved comfort to our guests.
As for the recycling boxes in the rooms, we have looked in to that and may still pursue it - preliminary reports are that guests rarely respect the difference in the rooms (I was sad to learn this also) so we have offered a recycle bin in the lobby for cans and bottles instead. The room attendants do separate clean newspapers and they are sent in for recycling through our cardboard bin, and will separate the bottles left in the rooms and recycle them also.
I sincerely thank you again for taking the effort to post your review, and for the kind words about our staff. We wish you many safe travels and hope to see you again!

Cheryl