“I really wanted to love this place...”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“I really wanted to love this place...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

...but it did not live up to my expectations. Stayed here for six nights in August. Jason, the fellow at the desk when we checked in was outstanding. He went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. Kudos to him for that. The day staff were also very good and helped us with maps and restaurant suggestions. As for housekeeping, some staff were great and others not so much. The first part of our stay - Wed, Thurs, Friday and Sat were good; the room was cleaned in a timely manner and we had no issues. Not so for Sunday and Monday. Found lots of stray dark hairs in the bathroom on those days and no one in our party had dark hair. One of the biggest complaints I had was with the parking situation. I have a disabled placard and there were only 4 stall available. The stalls to the right of the door were great; large and well situated. The other two were disasters! I had to park in one to the left of the doors on two occasions and since the stall was on a slope, it was difficult to exit my vehicle. One evening, I had to go out to pick up my son and when I got back there were no stalls available. Since walking is my issue, I was concerned. Many patrons parked in two stalls so I was forced to take one of the last remaining stalls near a wooded area behind the hotel. Not exactly safe especially for someone who is unable to walk very well. There was a security guard in the parking lot but he was little help. He did come over to ask if I was ok but did not accompany me to the hotel. Inside, I spoke with the staff member on duty and he seemed indifferent. This facility offers a "free" breakfast but it was not very good. I guess you get what you pay for. I ate there two out of my six mornings. Room temperature was also an issue but only on the last two days. I did mention it to Jason who offered to move me but since it was our last evening, I did not want the hassle of having to move rooms. We put up with the blowing cold for a couple of days...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 13Debs
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for posting your review.
We realize the breakfast is a very personal preference, it seems some guests love it, and some feel it doesn't meet their morning needs. I am very sorry to read that ours did not meet yours.
Your comment about the handicapped parking on our premises is the very first time I've heard of any issues and this troubles me greatly. Accessibility is fundamental and we truly strive to ensure all guests have easy access and adequate parking. While we meet all standards in our parking lot, both in the size and amount of handicapped stalls provided, we will be resurfacing soon and perhaps there may be something we can do to address this concern. It is rare that these stalls are completely occupied, but during these busy summer nights it does happen. I will certainly be asking for the advice of our paving contractor.
Our security company reported that the guard was unsure you would feel comfortable with physical assistance. I will instruct them to make that offer in the future. I am glad to learn you were approached asked if you were okay, but clearly we can do more.
We do strive to offer consistent cleanliness, these stray dark hairs are a dire concern and will be brought to the attention of our housekeeping supervisor and addressed.
Please feel free to contact me directly to make any future booking at our property and I promise to do everything in my power to ensure a very successful and comfortable stay, even reserve one of the stalls spot by the door for you.
Thank you again for posting your review, there is much to be learned by your words and all concerns will be followed up.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Fountain Hills, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at end of July. Perfect weather in beautiful Vancouver. The hotel is right off the trans-Canada highway, but not close enough to hear traffic noise. Seems to be a popular place since both parking and the breakfast room were almost full. The room was very nice. King size bed, microwave, small fridge, AC, desk with wi-fi, and the rate was reasonable. Breakfast was enough to last till dinner, but could stay open a little longer to accomodate the crowd and the late sleepers.
From this location you can drive almost straight down to White Rock & the US border, or take Hwy 1 to downtown Vancouver.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for top floor so you don't get noise from above.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JuanAndOnly
Calgary, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,212 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is an adequate Holiday Inn Express property. Off the beaten path from just about everywhere but close to the #1 highway if you need a place to stop. Front desk staff were friendly, lobby and breakfast area clean and bright, with the usual Express breakfast food. There is a small patio area adjacent to the breakfast area that was locked but when we asked for it to be opened the staff kindly let us eat lunch there. Staff have a map listing of restaurants in the area. Bed was heavenly but pillows lumpy and needing replacing. Sorry but this place loses points for the mold around the bathtub and no recycling bins in the room.

Room Tip: Book a room on the back of the hotel to avoid traffic noise from 104th Avenue
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CanadianMum
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review! It seems we fell short of exceeding your expectations and that is most disappointing.
You may be excited to learn that a new pillow program is being introduced to the Holiday Inn Express brand and we will all be upgrading to a much better product. We are all very excited about this as our pillows have been an ongoing struggle - they do mandate what pillows we have in order to deliver consistency, and we look forward to being able to provide that improved comfort to our guests.
As for the recycling boxes in the rooms, we have looked in to that and may still pursue it - preliminary reports are that guests rarely respect the difference in the rooms (I was sad to learn this also) so we have offered a recycle bin in the lobby for cans and bottles instead. The room attendants do separate clean newspapers and they are sent in for recycling through our cardboard bin, and will separate the bottles left in the rooms and recycle them also.
I sincerely thank you again for taking the effort to post your review, and for the kind words about our staff. We wish you many safe travels and hope to see you again!

Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've been here several times and I highly recommend it. The rooms are renovated, good reception for wifi and cable. Breakfast is typical of HIE but well stocked. The staff is friendly and helpful. Take advantage of the pool, sauna, and dry sauna. Most times you have the area to yourself. The rooms are clean and a decent size. When we come into BC we like to stay here instead of downtown. This area is diverse and relatively close to most all attractions east and west of Vancouver. Best of all free, safe, and easy parking!

Tip:
Highway 1 is very close. I recommend taking the easy drive to Harrison Hot Springs. Go to the public indoor sulfur pool and take a relaxing dip as well as enjoying the breathtaking view while you soak.
Try some good Korean BBQ or Indian restaurants nearby the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor if possible. There are many families and kids sports teams who stay here and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend here because this hotel was on the IHG "Points Break" list. We very much enjoyed the hotel and the employee who checked us in was beyond helpful and nice! He gave us great recommendations for things to do in the area - especially since this hotel is pretty far from downtown Vancouver. The rooms were decorated nicely and the common areas were nice as well. My only complaint is the internet. Our room was in the back of the hotel, so that may have had something to do with the poor internet service, but it was a truly awful connection.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Poor internet service is such a frustration when traveling, I am very sad to learn you experienced that here at our hotel. We provide both wired and wireless service in all guestrooms and Shaw Home has installed their own piggy-back service for our common areas in an attempt to ensure this does not happen. We will once again test the service in our rooms to see if there is room for improvement.
Thank you very much for your thorough review of your experience at our property, it is through conscientious guests such as yourself that we find the areas we can lift higher to meet our guests' expectations and hopefully exceed them, and that is invaluable. Thank you for recognizing our great staff, I am proud of all of them and love it when our guests enjoy the efforts they all make.
We're thrilled you were able to take advantage of the points break deal offered through the IHG Rewards Program and hope to see you again!
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

After a long flight this was a great hotel with fast friendly service, comfortable bed, quiet & clean. Perfect for a one night stay (or longer). Breakfast was good with an average selection.

All in all a great stay after a long trip, would definitely recommend if you are heading off to the Rockies the next day as it is close to the Highway and out of the main hussle & bussle of Vancouver.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the trees at the back of the building. Very quiet!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Every review is important, always, but it makes us smile that much wider when such a seasoned traveler and regular reviewer posts such kind words about us!
Thank you so much and we are ecstatic that you enjoyed our property and staff!
We wish you safe journeys and hope to see you again.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Everything was great, including breakfast. The only problem was with air-condition which did not work properly and since the hotel was fully booked we could not move to another room. Receptionist was very friendly. The room was very clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am truly sorry to hear about the air conditioner, we take every possible effort to see that they are well maintained and it is most disappointing when they fail us and our guests. Thank you very much for posting such a positive review despite this inconvenience.
Please feel free to contact me directly to book your next visit and I will do everything possible to make certain you have a successful stay.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

gm@hiesurrey.com