“Open on a cold rainy day”

Harbour House Restaurant
Ranked #637 of 1,021 Restaurants in Surrey
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: South Surrey
Neighborhood: South Surrey
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Three of us were all set to eat at Hooked on waterfront but they had closed due to lack of customers on a wet Sunday afternoon so we walked down the street and found Harbour House open but not busy. Ordered Clam chowder which was very disappointing but the 2 piece cod and chips were excellent and will merit a return visit.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (20)

Reviewed May 11, 2019

The "pub grub" on the menu sounded decent enough, but it turned out to be pretty poor. We shared a two-piece halibut and chips lunch, but the fish was the flat patties you'd buy in Costco or somewhere similar. This was NOT what we expected from a beach-side restaurant at Crescent Beach.

The server (one of the Japanese owners?) could not have cared less that we were there. His manner was flat, there was no greeting, and he was borderline rude the whole time. He was courteous enough to bring a second plate so we could share our meal, without having to be asked, but why couldn't the kitchen staff (his wife?) bother to separate the meal onto two plates? Hmmm...

My wife took the bill inside to pay. Our server approached our table and asked if I needed the card machine, so I told him she had gone in with the bill. He went in after her, took the bill from her and then brought it back out to our table, all while she was following along behind him, card in hand, saying, "Excuse me. Excuse me." Rude!

I've attached a photo from the men's washroom. I have no clue what it's supposed to say. (I'm sure they know way more English than I know Japanese, but get some help if you're not sure about the language.)

Don't bother with this place. There are way better, albeit more pricey, options in the immediate area.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 16, 2019

I've had better grab & go sandwiches at the airport. The beef dip is a disgrace. Don't even get me started about the lacklustre fish & chips. The service is ok & it's a homey atmosphere, but they need to improve the food quality.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 12, 2019 via mobile

Went for lunch here and had their Asian Salad. Very good, crispy and fresh lettuce great peanut sauce and served with fried vegetable dumplings. Very refreshing. The halibut fish and chips weren't great. Fish is store bought, overcooked and coleslaw had too much dressing. Not worth $16. Service is very good.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed November 18, 2018

It is too bad that this formerly wonderful place has deteriorated under the new owners. First, it is listed as "Japanese" - the operators might be Japanese but that is all. There is one couple trying to run this - the man doing all the serving and hosting and the woman cooking and washing. There is no one to welcome customers and if he is around, it is a perfunctory hello. Find your own seat!! I waited for some time to get service and was ignored a couple of times. The food, I must say, was hot but the halibut was not a fresh piece of fish but rather it seemed like a frozen pre-battered piece popped into the deep fryer. It was dry. I noticed some other guests look quizzically around when they came in to no one to welcome them (he was off in the washroom!). I basically had to do the final check myself since he was off running around. Another weird thing I saw - he uses a cart to take plates to tables! It is too bad this harried couple cannot operate this restaurant at the high quality it once was. And it was far more expensive than you would pay at another place. It is a waste of money.

Date of visit: November 2018