“My Favourite healthy ethnic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Green Lettuce

Green Lettuce
Ranked #52 of 828 Restaurants in Surrey
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Newton
Description: Established Vancouver location in 1999 and expanded to beautiful Surrey in 2003 with a seating capacity of ~100
Vancouver
“My Favourite healthy ethnic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have mixed feelings sharing this gem for fear it will become too popular. The owner family emigrated to Canada from Calcutta where they had operated a similar Indian Restaurant with strong Indian influence. The food is prepared using much less fat than conventional Indian but with the full range of spices and dishes found in the best South Asian restaurants. Customer service is good, in spite of a noisy, sometimes chaotic bustle. Clientele are always of many races, a good sign. My personal favourites, although in over 5 years of regular visits we've never gone wrong: 1. masala fish 2. green beans 3. chili garlic paneer 4. haka chow mein. If you go more than once I guarantee they will recognize you.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank healthquest
Green Lettuce S, Manager at Green Lettuce, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Hi Healthyquest,

Thank you for the review. We are always pleased to hear great comments and any constructive criticisms. I wanted to let you know that we are quite accommodating, in the sense that if you want less oil, salt or have certain dishes stir-fried versus deep-fried, there is no problem! Just let our servers know! :)

Cheers!

Quesnel, Canada
“Nice Place for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Very Good Place for Lunch. Fast and Courteous service. Food is very Tasty. Tried Spicy Tofu and
Manchurian Style Vegetables.

• Visited April 2014
We only recently saw this review and wanted to thank you for taking the time to do so! Cheers!
Delta, Canada
“Ehhh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I had just been to the optometrist's across from Green Lettuce and after a 2 hour session there, we were starved. We decided to meet my dad at Green Lettuce for dinner - why not? Something new for us and close!
However, it wasn't as amazing as I thought it was going to be. When we came in, it was quiet, only about 5 other tables were filled. We sat, waited for my dad, and were served some water. The waiter was polite and patient, asking if we wanted to order anything, with us telling him that we were still waiting for one more.
However, when my dad did come, the waiter didn't. The restaurant wasn't busy by any means - most other customers had been served already. We had to wait for about 15 minutes before anybody came around to take our order, even with us trying to wave them down.
When somebody finally came over, we ordered a medium steamed rice, the mongolian beef, fried green beans and broccoli and tofu with black bean sauce.
The rice, for starters, was very small for the price. With medium, you'd think it'd serve 3 or 4 people, right? It barely gave us 2 servings for all 3 of us.
The mongolian beef was actually very delicious! It was juicy and flavourful, though the portion size was small. My family ended up having to fight for the scraps!
The fried green beans and broccoli were... okay. It was tasty, but again, very small portion for the price. There was also a poor ratio of green bean and broccoli to other filler ingredients. I'd say it was only 1/4 beans and broccoli to 3/4 onions and green pepper.
The last dish was the tofu with black bean sauce. Unlike the other dishes, this one was very disappointing. It tasted like it was just cooked as a normal tofu dish, and then last-minute doused in soy sauce. It was almost disgusting. This portion size was actually pretty proportionate to the price, however, we only got around 5 pieces of tofu in the whole thing.
During the whole meal, we also never got our water refilled. We, again, kept trying to wave them down for more water, but kept getting ignored. Very disappointing.
Overall, Green Lettuce was okay. It was really expensive for the amount of food that we got (quality wasn't very consistent either), and the service was awful. I would definitely not go back, but if you're really curious, ask others for recommendations. Not everything on their menu is amazing!

Hi Larn-chan:

Sorry this response might come as a delay! Hopefully you did not think we were ignoring you. I was surprised that I didn't hear this the day of-- I wish you would have told us directly so we could have rectified and made you something you preferred. And so, I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience. Like any other business, we depend on our customers so I am a bit confused why we would have ignored you-- there is really no excuse but maybe the Canucks weren't doing well that day and we were bummed :(

But it is true, Spicy, Hakka fusion food including black beans with tofu is not for everyone! If you prefer more green beans with the "Green beans and Broccoli" (108) just let us know! We will gladly accommodate and definitely add more green beans! Some people enjoy more green beans others enjoy more broccoli or the assortment of fresh vegetables. Regardless, we have taken note of your comments and we will definitely be looking for ways to improve!

Anyway, we hope you will come by again so we can prove to you that we have improved! The medium rice at $2.75 for two people sounds about right. I normally recommend a medium rice and one dish between two people. Although, for 3+ people, we recommend a large rice.

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers!
Surrey BC
“Golden Flavours at Green Lettuce”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Whenever we visit relatives living in Surrey, BC, we make a beeline for the Green Lettuce. When we walked in the door the waiter welcomed us with "Oh hello, green beans!" We are not familiar with the advertised style of cuisine "Indian Style Chinese Food" but we are well acquainted with both Indian and Chinese foods. We think the Green Lettuce is a fabulous fusion of these two styles. The generous veggie pakoras are a great starter to share. Try their dry fried green beans - yummy! The bill for four of us, with 6 dishes plus steamed rice and 2 beers, was $97 including taxes. We think this was very good value. We will return on our next visit to Surrey!

• Visited September 2013
Surrey
“Generally good Indian style Chinese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant since this location opened about 10 years ago. The food quality has been maintained, however prices have increased dramatically over the years. The food is good and different from other Indian style Chinese restaurants in Surrey. The service is not exceptional but is generally good. The portion size is on the smaller side. The restaurant is very popular in indian and muslim community. They claim to serve halal food, however they serve liquor as well. I like pretty much all their dishes, especially manchurian fish. The restaurant accepts reservations, however, we never had problem getting seated, even on special occasions.

• Visited August 2013