“Not your typical Sheraton”

Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were a family of 4 - stayed here for 2 days on a weekend just recently. I am quite disappointed as the staff was pretty friendly in the past, but somehow the weekend that we were there, the hotel was busy with tourists. So the staff was not helpful at all. I didn't get the sense that they are courteous, lively. Instead, I got a straight-faced, business-like demeanor. Our booking says complimentary breakfast, but when we checked in, we were provided with complimentary breakfast for 2 only. Their breakfast was overpriced, and it says "full breakfast buffet." However, for the price of $19.95 per person, it was not a full breakfast buffet spread at all. I paid $30 for my 2 kids, money I could have spent elsewhere with better choices. The room and the hallway are not your typical Sheraton. Boring, dull. The beds were what keeps me coming back because they are comfy. The location is good because it is close to Highway 1, and all the shopping and restaurants. We ended up having dinner and breakfast at nearby restaurants. I'm surprised that a review from Dalvir says "free parking." I paid $9 a day for ours. Overall, it's just an ordinary hotel. Also, we didn't get a refrigerator. Now I know you'd have to ask for one when you book.

I'd like to pay for the experience - sorry but I didn't get it here this time.

Room Tip: Make sure to spend your green dollars while you are there. Otherwise, it's useless.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SweetnessinSeattle
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks for your detailed review. The hotel offers many different rates, at different times and not all have the same inclusions. Sorry about the miscommunication regarding the breakfast, complimentary breakfast is only offered to the number of registered occupants in the room.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is good. Rooms are nice and very clean. That is important to us. The pillows are not great so take your own. All rooms do NOT have fridges so if you want a fridge, request a room with one. Only the corner rooms have fridges. We were not told this so found out the hard way and then were told all those rooms were taken!! Underground parking is an extra charge and Internet is an extra charge plus they add tax so the parking is $9.00 extra a night.
Also, I like to read a bit before turning out the light. I found the light switch too high to reach so had to get out of bed to reach it. Rather annoying.
Found it really noisy in the morning with people slamming doors and talking in the hall.
However, these things may not annoy everyone. The big thing with this hotel is that it is clean and the staff is very friendly. It is in a good location to the freeway and Guildford Mall is very close. There is a restaurant in the hotel, but if you don't want to always go there then there are several nearby such as White Spot, Earls and Moxies. Most rooms have a view.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have fridges.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank for the detailed review and the tips on the area, as you've highlighted many of the benefits of our location. Yes, our upgraded corner rooms are very popular and sell out quickly because of the fridges.

We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Myself, wife, and our 2 kids recently stayed here on a layover to the Southern Gulf Islands. We arrived in town quite late and the hotel was very easy to find. The staff was very friendly and we certainly enjoyed the convenience of underground parking (this comes at a cost however). We were awed bye the amazing room service breakfast. Best room service I have ever had on a trip (was approx. $50.00 for the whole meal which is not too bad for 4 people). The bedding was very comfortable along with the beds. I would recommend this hotel as a short term stay or layover. It is right beside 152 st. and close to the #1 Highway then it is a straight shot south to #10 Highway then onto the 99 and heading to the airport or to the ferry terminal or even the US border.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Cheers! Thanks for the great review and the tips about the location. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have stayed in many starwood hotels such as the sheraton, however, this hotel quality isn't as like the others.

I'm own a boutique Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand called Hotel Solo Sukhumvit 2 and if i was to offer this kind of service i probably wouldn't be getting many guests as I do now. I'm sorry, but there is no Shower cap, there is no fridge (huge disappointment) and the rooms are pretty old looking...not to a sheraton standard at all. The lobby is very quiet and dull and so is the lobby Bar, not tempting at all. There's no one to help assist you to carry the bags in and out of your car and in and out of the rooms, for a sheraton standard, this service has to be offered !

What i like though is the free wifi offered if you stayed in though you have to click the submit button that you'll be paying and once checked out its waved. Free Parking for guests as i stayed for 3 nights before heading to whistler. But thats it. Hotel needs more servicing staffs for sure to take extra care for the hospitality of the guests.

Its an average hotel, i'm sorry, with only 3 stars.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dalvir N

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, the amenity standards are different between the North American & Asian hotels with the nuances or shower caps and fridges. We have introduced Sheraton Social Hour in the lobby bar on Tues, Wed & Thurs where we feature excellent wines and have a local musician on the piano.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was my second time to this hotel. I have never been disappointed with the facility or the service. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The facility is very clean and comfortable. It's the next best thing to being home. I have stayed at other hotels in the area and prefer this one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Glad you enjoyed your stay, we appreciate the 5/5!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is charge after charge after charge,

1) parking is 9.00 per night
2) internet access in your room is $19.00 per day
3) no fridge in your room
4) booking it a Sheraton.com allows you to choose the rate and options like free breakfast, internet ect, but automatically defaults to a lower rate and you will have to pay for these items at the hotel.

in my opinion find another hotel, like I said above, not your typical Sheraton.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Garett L

Sorry you felt this way about the hotel. We do have several rate options available, some which are offered only a short period of time and each differs with the inclusions of amenities.

Thanks for taking your time to review the hotel.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business in June, it was very close to my meeting location. King room originally assigned was right next to elevator and I am a light sleeper so they moved me to a room with two doubles with no problems (not my preference). It did have a fantastic mountain view. I am surprised that there was no other room on the preferred floors available (I am a preferred member) but I guess it's possible,
Internet costs extra in the room and I was told that the lobby internet was free but after multiple failed attempts found out that I needed a password (why they didn't tell me when I checked in or called I'm not sure)
My bathroom counter had some sort of substance spilled all over it (toothpaste? hair gel?) which was so obvious - I questioned the hygiene and the cleanliness of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the mountains to the north?
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thanks to taking the time to write about your experience at Sheraton Guildford. Your review has been given to the housekeeping department to review our practices and quality control. We're sorry that this was your experience with us.

Please let me know if you'll be in our area again, as we'd like to have you stay with us again.

Ryan