We stayed at Halimar recently for a girlfriend's getaway. First, the positives:
- Lovely setting on a beautiful lake. (You will hear the loons calling at night).
- Very quiet, as it's a small resort.
- VERY roomy and clean cottage suite with a nice wood-burning fireplace (which came in handy as the weather was unseasonably cool).
- Nice view of the lake from the back deck (although some of the trees and brush could be trimmed to have a wider view).
- Nice pool on site
- The owners' bloodhound puppy was adorable, even when she tried to chew my shoelaces! LOL
And now for some constructive criticism:
- The cottage suite wasn't as well-equipped as it could have been (e.g. there were no paper towels so we used toilet paper for napkins when eating dinner. LOL)
- The suite could use some updates in décor; it looked old and outdated.
- Our suite was very private, but had there been guests in the suite beside us, it would definitely not have been private as the back decks for each suite have no separating walls or partitions. Kind of an odd set-up.
- The service was a little lacking. I emailed two days prior to our arrival to re-confirm our reservation, but no one got back to me, so I ended up phoning. Upon our arrival, the owners and staff weren't very welcoming. Maybe we caught them on a bad weekend or they were over-worked, but a more friendly greeting would have been nice. It also would have been a nice touch for them to offer to help with our luggage. And, this is the only place I've ever stayed where the owners expected to be paid upon check-in. Again, sort of odd. And when we did check out, no one asked how our stay was or said, "We hope you come back again." It made us wonder if the owners didn't really enjoy running the place...maybe because it's a family business that they reluctantly took over? They really didn't look very happy.
Not sure if we'd visit Halimar again. It was, for the most part, an average experience.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Halimar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halimar Resort Haliburton, Ontario