“Just Average”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Haliburton
Ontario
“Just Average”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at Halimar recently for a girlfriend's getaway. First, the positives:

- Lovely setting on a beautiful lake. (You will hear the loons calling at night).
- Very quiet, as it's a small resort.
- VERY roomy and clean cottage suite with a nice wood-burning fireplace (which came in handy as the weather was unseasonably cool).
- Nice view of the lake from the back deck (although some of the trees and brush could be trimmed to have a wider view).
- Nice pool on site
- The owners' bloodhound puppy was adorable, even when she tried to chew my shoelaces! LOL

And now for some constructive criticism:

- The cottage suite wasn't as well-equipped as it could have been (e.g. there were no paper towels so we used toilet paper for napkins when eating dinner. LOL)
- The suite could use some updates in décor; it looked old and outdated.
- Our suite was very private, but had there been guests in the suite beside us, it would definitely not have been private as the back decks for each suite have no separating walls or partitions. Kind of an odd set-up.
- The service was a little lacking. I emailed two days prior to our arrival to re-confirm our reservation, but no one got back to me, so I ended up phoning. Upon our arrival, the owners and staff weren't very welcoming. Maybe we caught them on a bad weekend or they were over-worked, but a more friendly greeting would have been nice. It also would have been a nice touch for them to offer to help with our luggage. And, this is the only place I've ever stayed where the owners expected to be paid upon check-in. Again, sort of odd. And when we did check out, no one asked how our stay was or said, "We hope you come back again." It made us wonder if the owners didn't really enjoy running the place...maybe because it's a family business that they reluctantly took over? They really didn't look very happy.

Not sure if we'd visit Halimar again. It was, for the most part, an average experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank beverlyanne

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went with my boyfriend and we stayed in cottage #9.
Now keeping this all brief as possible. Here are the pros & cons I found of this resort:

CONS:

- they need to update website for not all is offered, may be disappointed if Expecting certain things

-no restaurant, vending machines, or store on site of any kind

-the spa is actually in town

-most of the cottages need some Loving Cosmetic care & Updating

- cottage #9 needs more shelves or tables to put groceries on, a pantry would be nice

-lake has a lot of sea weed or lake weed whatever its called

PROS:

-very very very relaxing atmosphere

-lovely well kept pool

-cottages are clean , and they recycle

-AC in the cottage or ceiling fans if needed

-owners are Very accommodating and nice people, quick to help your needs

-bbqs at every cottage (which my boyfriend loved)

-our satellite was acting up and they quickly fixed it and lent us movies to watch in the mean time

- felt very safe, no wild animals except I seen a cute chipmunk

- toaster, fridge, coffee maker, microwave, jacuzzi tub, dishes, towels, linens , were all included

-paddle boats, kayaks, canoes, life jackets, pool table, ping pong, fooz ball, chess set, lots to do which are all INCLUDED in the price

-and again VERY RELAXING QUIET time which is EXACTLY what we were looking for

**I will DEFINITELY go again but stay in one of the bigger/more modern cottages. We are hoping to go again next August.

**If you are looking for Quiet & Relaxing atmosphere come here,,, if you are looking for a Party Don't!

This is my opinion of my stay here Aug.5-9th,2013.

Room Tip: get a bigger room, cottage 9 had no food storage space and small fridge
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissAnnG
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Decor was average View of the lake was good. The first night I there were big ants crawling up my,leg. When I called the management,I got the impression that i was imposing. They placed 3 ant traps in the bathroom and never followed up. The third day I told them the ant problem was still there. They put some poison in the hole in the wall where I told them they were coming from. Again, no follow up. I decided just to coexist with the ants. Second problem, shower curtain rod fell down there was only one screw on each side. Thirdly the tap in the bathroom sink was so stiff that the vanity pulled away from the wall when I opened the tap. Fourthly, the fireplace had at least two inches of ash on the,bottom. I wanted to make a fire almost every night, but that was way too much ash. They seemed perturbed that I should ask for the fireplace to be cleaned. They do advertise maid service and there was no dustbin for me to clean it myself. When I complained that there was still a lot of ash, he said, we dont vacuum the fire place. All together it was an unpleasant experience. I will not go back. .

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank birgfromto
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Absolutely loved it. Gorgeous view of the lake, beautiful scenery, great cottage, felt like our own little hideaway. Very relaxing, enjoyed the fireplace. Everything we needed in a getaway, very accomodating owners and staff.

• Stayed December 2012
toronto
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in December and had an amazing time! We stayed in a cute, cozy but better yet very clean cottage. We had a great view of the lake, a jacuzzi in our room and a wood burning fireplace. The staff were so friendly and made us feel like we were spending time with family. I loved the sauna in the gym, it was a perfect ending after a long hike on the trails (right across the street) and a mild day canoeing. I will definitely come back in the summer to take advantage of the volleyball court on the beach and the outdoor swimming pool. Thanks Sue, Jan and the rest of the staff who made our weekend a memorable one!

Room Tip: We stayed in #7, great view with a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annya K
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Looking for a home away from home at an affordable price? This is exactly what you get at Halimar Resort.
My Mother and I were there early October, and WOW! What an amazing relaxing stay it was…. Where do I begin to tell you about this fantastic Resort?
The staff were so friendly and helpful and always wearing a simile.
We stayed in cottage # 11, it was very clean, has 2 bedrooms, satellite TV, a large Jacuzzi tub, tastefully decorated with a cozy wood burning fireplace. It offers a small kitchenette with everything you need. The view from the window was truly amazing; I can see the lake and the trees with their beautiful fall colors of orange, red, and yellow.
The grounds are immaculate, spacious and stunning at this time of year, it would take your breath away. We were able to relax by the large sandy beach area and enjoy the fall colors; the hammock was my favorite part right next to the lake with great lake view.
This Resort offers all the amenities of home, beautiful surroundings, a great atmosphere, wonderful staff and owners, and a scrumptious satisfying breakfast, the outdoor hot tub was a real treat.
My sincere thanks to Suzanne who assured me that everything was going to be ok and not to worry, (my Mom is very picky) and Jan who was very accommodating and made us feel comfortable and welcome.
If you’re looking for a small quiet getaway, great accommodations and lots to do, this is it. Bon fires, sauna, hikes was some of what we enjoyed. However, there’s much more, tennis, volleyball, biking too. I love the little town of Haliburton and I am definitely looking forward to spending some romantic time at Halimar in the future with my partner.

Room Tip: All the cottages at Halimar Resort gives you a view of the lake, and for me that is a plus especiall...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Debra M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 days in August and had a reasonably good time. Halimar is well located on the shores of Kashagawigamog Lake. It is a relatively old property but is well maintained. We rented a 2 bedroom bungalow near the water with breakfast for about $500 plus tax and gratuity. There are some old boats, canoes and paddle boats for guest use. Place has a pool, tennis court, sauna and common area with pool table, football and board games. Breakfast consisted of a limited choice of menu items like sausage or ham or bacon, with 2 eggs plus toast or pancakes or french Toast plus coffee, juice and cereal. It was ok though. Dinner was extra and was quite nice. Entrees cost about $25 and appetizers about $10. The accommodations were comfortable but we didn't like the liquid soap or shampoo, but we brought our own. We brought our own hair dryer as well. Sleep quality was good. Place was relaxing with not much to do, but we enjoyed that. We walked next door to the Bonnie View Inn where we had lunch and rented a jet ski for $100 per hour. We also fished there. At Halimar we did some canoeing and kayaking.
Staff were very nice. Overall we had a nice time.
We met people who took a meal package that included dinner, but that cost almost double what we paid......not a good value.

Room Tip: We liked the unit near the water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 8beaver8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haliburton
Little Hawk Resort and Marina
GetAways at Haliburton Heights
Heather Lodge
Heather Lodge
#2 of 7 in Minden

Been to Halimar Resort? Share your experiences!