“Best Restaurant Around”

Rhubarb
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Haliburton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Upscale casual restaurant and microbrewery in beautiful cottage country on the shores of Mirror lake
Haliburton, Canada
“Best Restaurant Around”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I live in Haliburton and love to go out for dinner. We have been to many restaurants in Muskoka, Bracebridge, Haliburton, etc and none of them compare to our experience at Rhubarb. We have been there on numerous occasions because the food and the service are incredible. It's a really great atmosphere and the food is next to none. We have had dishes as simple as the homemade burger or dishes like duck breast and lamb sirloin. The staff is friendly and love to joke and laugh with us but are still very professional and the food is creative. It's an A+ in my books and any friends we have recommended Rhubarb to have been very happy as well. Thanks Rhubarb for opening your doors in this new location - we'll be back! Again… and again!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Gary B

Toronto, Canada
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a GREAT meal at Rhubarb's Eagle Lake location in the fall of 2013 and expected another great meal when we returned to their new location at the intersection of Hwy 35 and 118 in Carnarvon in April 2014. Boy was I disappointed.

The menu is less interesting. They have gone downscale.

The dining room has a lower ceiling and is noisier. And the service was poor. When asked where a beer was from, our server didn't know. When asked what kind of steak was on the menu, she didn't know and had to ask the chef. When I asked for a second glass of red wine, she asked, "the Shiraz or the Merlot?" not seeming to know what I'd had first.

When I gave our waitress a credit card to pay the bill, she brought just the visa chit. It had no place to add a tip. I was surprised and asked for the detailed bill. She brought it but all it showed was ten lines marked "food", two marked "misc", two marked "wine" and one marked "beer". It was probably correct but not very illuminating.

On the plus side, my steak was very tasty. My dining companions had mixed comments on the food.

In my view, Rhubarb has gone from an excellent restaurant when it was on Eagle Lake to a run of the mill restaurant in its new location.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Toby C
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our Eagle Lake restaurant. I am very sorry to hear you were not as happy with our new location. We strive to make every guests time with us terrific and are sorry you did not experience this. Our debit/credit card machines are portable and brought to the table. Each machine asks for tip amount or percentage so it is up to the customer to put it in at the table because of this I am unclear about your comment about the visa slip but if you could contact me personally I would like to get this fixed. Our nightly features are more in keeping with our fine dining menu at the Eagle lake location. We now offer an all day menu to appeal to more while allowing others to choose from our features as well. Overall I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us more and would love the opportunity to speak with you and a chance to correct your opinion. Please contact me at info@rhubarbhaliburton.com, I will also try and privately message you. Thank you for your feedback, we value and appreciate the chance to improve.
Barrie, Canada
“Great”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Food was terrific. Nice atmosphere. Best fine/contemporary dining in Haluburton county. Service also very good. Will be back

Visited April 2014
1 Thank icebowl_13
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I took our 3 daughters to this restaurant for a lovely dinner this past weekend.
My older daughter is attending college in near by haliburton and had been hear before for lunch. The food was excellent from the salad dressing , something maple to the hummus to the chicken pot pie, steak and pasta.
But bar none the dessert sealed the deal.
It was the best caramel sauce we had ever tasted.
Highly recommend this little gem.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kathleen E
Huntsville, Canada
“Will be returning!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Lunch was awesome. Portion sizes are good, nice atmosphere, staff very friendly! Will be returning with my girlfriends for dinner soon!

Visited March 2014