“great walking”

84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“great walking”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

if you like to walk and would prefer a flat trail, then this rail trail is for you.....it goes for Kilometres and is mostly very rural in nature with a few places where houses intrude on the solace that exists hiking. the trail is very well maintained and parking is available in various places along the trail so you can do segments as time permits...ATV's, Bikes and in the winter snowmobiles use this trail, but everyone we met were very courteous and slowed for us without any indication from us....we appreciated that.

Bicyclers would do well to let you know they are approaching..bells should be mandatory...but the hiking is great and the scenery and wild life abundant....

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Footsac

Dundas, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Not much of a trail for bikes”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Some sections of this trail are too sandy to be ridden on anything other than a mountain bike. I'm sure it's great for snowmobiles and ATVs but bicycles - not so much. Too bad, we would love to travel more of it, but it can be a real slog.

Visited September 2012
Toronto, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Hike or Bike”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a well maintained, old abandoned railway bed with the old ties removed. Occasionally you may see old railway spikes in the gravel. It is sand, gravel and cinders and has no hills to worry about. In places the gravel is rough and the sand too sandy to ride through, so a brief walk with your bicycle may be necessary. The scenery is typical Haliburton: many tree varieties, wildflowers, ponds, creeks, rock, birds, and the occasional wildlife. It is very peaceful. I’ve seldom seen more than two or three other people on the whole trail when I’ve travelled it with my motorbike. Although they are prohibited, I ride it anyway. I do no damage whatsoever. The beautiful ride is worth it. Why ATVs are allowed, I have no idea. There are many spots on the trail where ATV disruption is obvious. In the winter it is part of the network of snowmobile trails. It must be beautiful then.

Visited August 2012