“Wow! I wish I knew a place like this when my kids were young!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haliburton
The Wigamog Resort, Conference Centre & Spa
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Haliburton
Niagara Falls
“Wow! I wish I knew a place like this when my kids were young!”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

If I was looking for a 5 star "hotel" I would have stayed in Niagara! We were looking for fun and fun is what we had! The people at the Wigamog are so friendly and they went above and beyond to make sure our needs were met. The weather was less than desireable, but there was always lots to do. We've spent more money camping and spent the entire week in the tent because of the weather. For the price and the experience, I think this trip was well worth it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place was abysmal. Like paying five star rates for 1/2 star service. One of evenings of our stay they were 'short' in the kitchen and we spent at least 4 hours in the restaurant (basically our entire evening) and ended up taking our dinner to our room and eating it there as it was time for our 2 year old to go to bed. For this inconvenience we received a whole 10% off our bill. The manager dodged our request to speak with him about a further discount. Equipment in the children's room was old and run down. Our room needed a serious upgrade and the hot water tap in the bathroom ran continuously and could not be shut off. Requests to the front desk and manager to have this plumbing issue fixed were ignored. Also water dripped from the roof onto the porch creating an icy patch in at the entrance door to our room - a nice safety hazard. Have the impression, based on conversations with other guests, that in days past this was a great place to stay but it has since been bought out by a corporate structure and has been very neglected. It's as if current owner(s) are now trying to milk what they can from the property based on it's previous reputation. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank traveller200992

Travelers are raving about these Haliburton hotels

Toronto
Reviewed July 13, 2009

If we wanted marble instead of wood, stone instead of pavement and doors that didn't stick a little once in a while, we could easily spend nearly twice as much at other resorts. But since our idea of a vacation requires 90% outdoor activity and NO cooking or cleaning, Wigamog has been an ideal place for us. We've stayed there 5 consecutive years and plan to continue until our kids want something different.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Maidstone, Ontario
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This was our first trip to the Wigamog. We were very disappointed from the moment that we got there. Everything looked old and worn down. You could tell right away that the place was not being taken care of. When we got to our cottage, we were very disappointed in the amenities and the cleanliness of the rooms. I went to buy some cleaning products, and cleaned the place myself, just so I could feel comfortable enough to stay the week. There were bugs and sand all over the cottage floors. Everything needs updating. The rooms are all old and in need of repairs.
The food was excellent though. We really enjoyed the breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The only complaint we have about the food service is that the buffet was constantly running out of food, and the staff was not replenishing it in a timely manner. We had to wait sometimes up to 10-15 minutes for more food to be brought out.
I would not waste $2300 here for a 5 day vacation. I'm sure there are resorts out there that are more clean, and newer and better taken care of for that kind of price.
I will never go back to the Wigamog.. unless I heard that they did a complete renovation/make-over to the place, because, every single room/cottage needs to be renovated. Out of the 3 pools that were there... only 1 was nice... the one indoors was completely GREEN and the other one outside was not in service because there was no liner. The hot tub was not in service either.
All of the recreational equipment had things wrong with it.... ex) The tennis rackets were missing strings. etc. etc.
The kids camps could be so nice if they would be renovated.. they look like complete dumps.. they are awful and I did not like leaving my kids in that environment.... There was broken glass lying around the kids camps and all kinds of other garbage and old items just lying around the kids camp...
They have a great CONCEPT at the Wigamog.. but the facilities just don't allow those concepts to be brought to fruition.
The camp counsellors for the kids were great, but, they couldn't help it... they just did not have the proper facilities or equipment to make it more enjoyable for the kids.. but, they did do the best that they could....
It really is too bad that this place is so bad.. because it could be a great place if all the equipment and tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts etc. were taken care of...
The Moose Lodge could be such a 'happening' place too.. however, it is also very old and needs severe renovations... the doors don't even close
I met some great people on our vacation.. and it's too bad that this place is not good enough to return to next year... because it could be awesome to come back the same week each year and meet up with the same people that we met here this time.. but, all the people I talked to said that they would NEVER return to the WIgamog

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Cris7200
Niagara
Reviewed March 16, 2009

As someone who has stayed at this resort 4 times over the past 5 years, I have to say that I've never been disappointed with Wigamog. In fact, we look forward to many more visits there. we are going back for our 5th trip in October/09. My, Aunt, mother, and myself like to book our annual 'girls getwaway' leisure weekends, and we initially choose Wigamog because of their fabulous food and accomodation offer we found on the internet.
The resort DID NOT disappoint! The location is beautiful, and the rooms were decent but the food was definitely the best part!!! Large portions and great selection.
For our first visit 5 years ago, we reserved adjoining rooms in the Inn and since then have also tried 2 different cabins at the resort. We have all been more than happy with our entire stay, and wonder how they can afford such a great offer and still provide such great service!
Downtown Haliburton is a 5 minute drive from the resort and has some really cute shops to explore,
If you're looking for your money's worth - I highly recommend Wigamog Inn. For any type of vacation, whether it's a family trip, romantic getaway, or girls weekend - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
WigamogInnkeeper, Innkeeper at The Wigamog Resort, Conference Centre & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Thank you for your great feedback.
Bonnie
Haliburton
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I am a resident of the Highlands and have often stayed at the Wigamog.
I love all of the family activities that go on. It certainly is fun for the whole family.
During the summer your children can keep entertained from morning until night.
This last visit I took notice of the great changes all around the resort. I can see significant upkeep and a fresh new look to the indoor pool (salt water). As well I stayed in the Poolside suites for a second time and I was pleased with the refurbishing that has been done.
I was assured that more and more improvements are continuing to happen throughout the spring

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you for your positive comments and for sharing them with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Bonnie
Ontario
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Please folks, DO NOT go to this "resort". Save your money and spend it at a quality resort because this place is just a mess. The beach is awful, the rooms are terrible and the food stinks. The grounds are not in good shape and there is no value in coming to the wigamog because it is very expensive. The ONLY good thing I have to say about it, is that the staff was WONDERFUL.

So if staff is ALL you look for in a vacation, then by all means, head to the Wigamog, but if you look for ANYTHING else, DO NOT GO!! There are soooo many better resorts out there!!o

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank SummerGuy14
WigamogInnkeeper, Innkeeper at The Wigamog Resort, Conference Centre & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
Hello Summerguy

Welcome to Trip Advisor and Thank You for your feedback and analysis regarding the Wigamog Inn. I was quite surprised that you are writing a review based on a stay from summer 2008 when we are quickly approaching summer 2009.

I am extremely surprised to hear you say the food was not to your liking. Our award winning red seal chef gets great comments night after night with his gourmet dinners and fabulous buffets.

Wigamog Inn is a great value resort, meaning we are not a five star property; we cater to families on a budget. Since our packages are all inclusive, guests are not only paying for accommodations, but 3 meals a day, use of recreational equipment, entertainment, a full days worth of activities, kids camp, 3 pools, 2 playgrounds, Spa, Water Sports rentals and countless other services.

We have 15 types of accommodations to choose from, from economical rooms to deluxe country cottages to our beautiful executive suite. I find it hard to believe you have tried every type of accommodation in order to make a comment about them all. There are accommodations to suit every budget and every taste.

Wigamog Inn averages 20 weddings per year, all taking place on our beautiful grounds, beach or in our wonderful commons ballroom. The grounds and beach over look beautiful Lake Kashagawigamog and are very popular for great pictures.

I am happy to hear you thought the staff was wonderful. The Wigamog has always been known for having great staff. They are very friendly, accommodating and they make guests feel welcome. Wigamog staff try their best to make sure every guest is well taken care of, whether it be children in kids camp or adults having a great dining experience.

Bonnie Warren
Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haliburton
Little Hawk Resort and Marina
#2 of 9 in Haliburton
Heather Lodge
Heather Lodge
#2 of 7 in Minden

Been to The Wigamog Resort, Conference Centre & Spa? Share your experiences!