“Awesome weekend”

Pinestone Resort and Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Haliburton
“Awesome weekend”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A big thanks to the Pinestone Resort! Again, the Pinestone came through to provide our group of 30 women with a weekend to remember. We always stay in the 2 bedroom villas and play golf - there's not a better place for us to enjoy our "Beaver" group weekend.
Thanks to Jenny at the front desk and Gail in the Pro Shop, who always do a fantastic job! It was great to meet Matthew (General Manager) who took time to welcome us to the Pinestone and made sure our stay was a happy one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cambridge
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is definitely not a resort nor was it worth the $220 we paid for one night! We would have been just as happy at the $95 per night Best Western. There's nothing "resort" like about this hotel. It faces the main road and we sat and watched traffic from our balcony. The service was not all that great, and we treid to find a decent cup of coffee and the lobby actually charges $2 for crappy Keurig coffee. Even though we paid $220 for one sleep! The pools and sauna are the only saving grace of this outdated "resort". It had a very "university dorm" type of look and feel. $120 would have been reasonable for this place. Very disappointing for such a lovely area of the province where we expected a bit of an "Ontario North hideaway" type of experience.

Room Tip: Unfortunately you're either facing a parking lot of the road so there does not appear to be any...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CambridgeHS

Travelers are raving about these Haliburton hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our timeshare had no activities (Haliburton Heights) but we were able to enjoy activities at this resort instead. The outdoor pool wasnt heated but the kids still had a great time. When it rained we went to the indoor pool and it was great as well. There was a little pub that we ate and drank at. The service was amazing and friendly. They were very accomodating to our autistic son who loved the free pool. This place saved our vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave W
burlington
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went to this one so I could go Rock Hounding nearby.
This Hotel is a little tired but the fairmont room that I stayed in had lovely crisp fresh sheets, plenty of pillow choice, two queen beds in a very large room!
I found the bed to be reasonable, not hard nor soft. If I am to mention any annoyance it would be that the bathroom fan comes on with the light! Annoying when one wants to take advantage of the deep jetted bathtub!
Overall the hotel has all the basics, indoor and outdoor pool, lake views.
If you golf it would be the main attraction there!
I found the staff to be extremely helpful and accommodating to the point of doing a bonfire at night for my sister!!
Food I found to be very good, I had the shrimp linguine that was excellent!
I would go back, yes its tired, but for me the staff makes up for it!

Room Tip: The Fairmount is away from the main building if you want quiet to be a short walk from the main buil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited Pinestone for a wedding at the end of April. First of all, Haliburton and the surrounding area is simply beautiful. The drive from Toronto was well worth it and the scenery along the way was a very refreshing change of pace. The grounds of Pinestone are stunning, I can't wait to see the bride and groom's photos! We stayed with another couple in one of the fairway rooms with two queen beds. It was very spacious and the beds and pillows were super comfortable - I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning! It was on the ground level and we loved having a patio and lawn chairs so we could lay in the sun and have a few beverages. It had a nice view of the golf course, and although there wasn't anyone out golfing quite so early in the season, if there were players, the course is far enough away from the rooms that it wouldn't have bothered us to watch a steady stream of players go past - we wouldn't have been able to hear them, or them us. The rooms were a short walk to the main building, but be warned - the path is on a slight hill so it was slightly slow-going as it required us ladies to walk rather cautiously in our high heels to the ceremony. However, I really enjoyed that the rooms were in a separate building from the rest of resort, it felt like I was away at camp or cottaging and really added to the enjoyment of visiting the resort!

As for the wedding...it was held in the hallway outside of the main banquet hall. It was private so don't let "hallway" stop you from holding your wedding in this spot - it was more of a private alcove and the backdrop for the nuptials was in front of 20-plus feet high, floor to ceiling, windows! The ceremony was around 4 o'clock and the light that was shining in was beautiful! However, a word of advice if you are considering your wedding here - you could see a few random people walking by here and there because the entrance to the lobby is nearby. If it were me, I would ask the hotel to have someone stand outside and have people walk past as far from the the windows as possible (maybe it was because I was sitting in the third last row, but it was a bit distracting from the lovely ceremony that was taking place).

The banquet room was quite big but I don't think it could hold more than 150 ppl, unless you put tables on the dance floor and moved them out of the way later on. The food was delicious! I had the vegetarian option and loved it! So did my boyfriend, he ate half my plate and made me ask the server for the recipe so we could make it at home (the manager was quick and very accommodating to ask the chef for the recipe and provide it to me, which I was very happy about!). The banquet room was right next to a big outdoors patio and it was very nice for all the smokers to have quick access to run outside and sneak back in. The midnight buffet was the best I've ever had at a wedding. Not sure if it is a standard option or if the bride and groom asked for it and the resort accommodated their request, but they had a make-your-own poutine bar! They had big trays of hot, fresh french fries and different varieties of gravy (beef and mushroom - which was nice for me since I am vegetarian). They also served fresh pizzas and both were delicious!

In the morning we took the time to go on a quick walk on the hiking trails. They started right near our room's building and led into the woods and around some of the holes of the golf course. It was a really nice view and walk and we saw a wide variety of fresh animal tracks - wolf, bear and moose! - so be careful!

All in all, it was a lovely weekend, I highly recommend it and I hope to return sometime soon for another visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank M_Cho83
Toronto
Reviewed May 27, 2013

So..... I know we rate things in relation to the area;however, reviewers need to be realistic in their comments. This is a great area and a very pretty resort. That being said, the rooms are VERY tired. We stayed in a one bedroom villa. It was a very drab and cold interior. Lighting was awful. It was clean but terribly boring. two weeks prior, we stayed at the JW Marriott Resort in the Muskokas , which by far is one of the finest resorts we have ever stayed it. The reason I bring this up is that for the same, or less, money you can stay at a fabulous resort when compared to the Pinestone. We paid well over $300 for the night and felt totally ripped off . I would not return

Room Tip: The food at the bar was decent as was the atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DandT23
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had read some of the reviews and was concerned. We wanted a place to stay when we up to check on our non winterized cottage. The lobby was pleasant and fresh. The overall impression of the place was of an outdated lodge type resort which needs updating badly. Old carpets, gloomy hallways etc. which was not enhanced by the overcast weather. We stayed in a king room suite and it was very spacious and modern with comfortable beds and bedding. It had a little kitchen area and 2 TVS. We had a drink in the bar which is big and has good light but could use some updating and modernizing. 2 martinis cost us an arm and leg. Come on, really? More expensive than the over-priced hotel bars in Toronto. We stayed to eat dinner in the bar (wings night!). The wings were fine - nothing special. The prices were good. We had thought to eat in the dining room but it was empty and I hate being the only ones eating in a restaurant. We also used the pool which was nice. We were the only ones in it. The view from our room was of the pond and the road. There was a nice little balcony but we didn't use it due to the weather, We checked out the next morning and found out that you had to pay for the coffee in the lobby. They have a single cup dispenser. I can't recall the price but it was prohibitive so we decided to pass and find coffee elsewhere. I think the desk clerk overheard us talking about it and offered it to us free of charge. I think we would go back for a single night. No reason to stay longer. A bit over-priced but handy to the cottage.

Room Tip: The king suites have been updated and are quite pleasant. No complaints.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haliburton
Little Hawk Resort and Marina
23Maple
23Maple
#5 of 6 in Haliburton
GetAways at Haliburton Heights

Been to Pinestone Resort and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!