Pinestone Resort and Conference Centre
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Lakeview Motel(Haliburton)(Great Value!)
$117
Bonnie View Inn(Haliburton)(Great Value!)
$97
$88
Halimar Resort(Haliburton)
Priceline
Little Hawk Resort & Marina(Algonquin Highlands)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsgolf coursepinestone resortoutdoor poolpro shopwingsgas fireplacethe salt water poolcomfortable bedstennis courtsnice resorton sitequiet at nightgreat spotbit datedlarge groupoff seasonhaliburton highlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a weekend in a Chalet Cottage at Pinestone. The bathroom facilities, while clean were sub-par at best, hot water in short supply. The cottage, bearing NO resemblance to the website photos was straight out of 1987 with crappy tube TV's and a frightening gas fireplace. The dining room and pub (karaoke night especially) were really good, some of the best in the area. Despite 2 written complaints to the Pinestone we have had no response. NEVER EVER GOING BACK..don't waste your money here.

Room Tip: Best advice I can offer...stay somewhere else...the "premium cottages" are pure crap.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael G
DirGstSvcs, Manager at Pinestone Resort and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for selecting us at the Pinestone Resort to be your first review on TripAdvisor. It is comments like yours that continually have us strive to offer top-quality accommodations and services.

I am glad that we have since corresponded with each other in order to discuss your experiences in further detail. I am also beyond delighted to advise our Restaurant team of your positive experience during karaoke night, but am truly sorry that our accommodations did not measure up to your requirements. We take this very seriously, and will use your comments to offer better services. It is our mission to provide high-quality experiences to all of our guests.

We will welcome the opportunity in the future to provide you with a positive overall experience that includes complete satisfaction with your accommodations.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I recently had my wedding at the Pinestone Resort. The front office staff were friendly and accommodating to my needs and that of my family. The banquet staff were phenomenal and the food delicious! The spa however was more than disappointing, I had booked my bridal party and mother to have their hair and make-up done at the spa for my wedding day, these services I had booked 7 months in advance. When I called to see about a trial run to be done on the Thursday or Friday before my wedding I was told they could not accommodate. The day of my wedding I called the spa at 8 am to see if I could have my appt's pushed back an hour or so as all of my girls had a late night. I was told absolutely not by the spa "receptionist" whom I later found out was the manager. I sent my first 2 girls to the spa only to have them come out 1/2 hour later- one with her make-up done (not by a make-up artist either) and the other with her hair done. When I asked them what they were doing back so soon they advised me that the spa had told them to come back in "a few hours" to finish their services. When I approached the spa with regards to their services it became clear to me that they had double booked and there was another wedding party in the spa!! When I asked the manager why she would not have advised me of such a situation when I had called to have our appt's pushed back no clear response was given to me. I had booked theses servicea 7 months in advance. By the time I finally got my hair and make up done, I was not happy with my hair but did not have time to change it!!! There was only an hour before my wedding and my mother and 1 bridesmaid still had not gotten their hair done. My mother had a feather woven into her hair and she told the stylist multiple times to watch for it- but he ripped it out of her head in a careless rush!! I did not have the opportunity to get all of the pre-wedding photos I wanted. Ever time I look at my hair in my wedding photo's I hate it. The make-up "girl" even charged me for the fake lashes she couldn't get to stay on my eyes- she told me to take the glue with me because she couldn't get them to stick!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank lboogielikestotravel
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went with my friend just for a night away and to hike. The hiking trails are very good and the room itself was nice. But we had paid for an upgrade, and were put in a separate building with no one else in it, and with an approach through a muddy parking area surrounded by service sheds. Because of this, we had to drive to the main building for our meals, something we as walkers would normally never consider. And we did not have on fancy shoes or clothes - it was just too much of a mess to walk through.

Then, the bathroom. The toilet did not flush properly. We phoned the desk and they told us to just hold down the handle. We did this (>10 seconds), and could get it to flush sometimes, but not always. When we reported this upon checking out, we were told that it was a new toilet (I'm sure it was not), and low flush, therefore slow (not my experience at all with low flush toilets). They did not seem to take it seriously at all. For me, a properly functioning toilet is a no-brainner in a good hotel.

And the bathtub. After our hike, my friend wanted to have a bath in the tub which had jets. First the water was orange, and even with running, only got as good as yellow. So, she put in some bubble bath to mask the colour. When she drained the bath later, the tub was full of black debris, which has also been masked by the bubbles, and which we realized came from the jets. Obviously, the room had not been used for a long time. It seemed to us, that in that case, we should have not been offered such a space, and if we were, the bathtub should have been run and the jets cleaned out before our arrival.

We were not expecting a castle, and we are not picky people, but we do wonder what we got for the upgrade price, and how a hotel can offer such a sub-standard bathroom. I have rated the hotel average, because the setting is beautiful, and the restaurant staff were very attentive, and the food nicely presented and good, but I would not go back. I'm pretty sure they were not going to do anything about that bathroom for the next guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I spent the night of October 21, 2012 at the Pinestone Resort. We had purchased a $179 package (room and meals) through TravelZoo. My wife and I are disappointed with our stay and experience at the resort.

Upon arrival we were assigned Room 228 in the main building. This room was damp, appeared dirty, gloomy (not at all like the photos on the website), the carpet was loose and bunched-up at the foot of the beds. We asked for another room – this time we were asked to look at Room 216. Again the room was gloomy, had an unusual odor, the bathroom fan was loose and made an awful noise and the hall lights flickered – we mentioned our dissatisfaction and were asked to look at Room 234. Although this room still had a few smaller issues we accepted this room. Some of the issues in this room which were noticed latr include bathroom vanity loose, torn wallpaper in bathroom, mold around bathtub, generally dark and gloomy room (not at all like the photos on the website), stains on the carpet, coffee maker that does not work properly. I can’t believe Room 23 is one of the better rooms (according to the reception clerk)!

In addition to the challenges with our room I have a few comments about other observations at the resort:

• Hallway and reception carpets are dirty and worn.
• Baseboards in the hallways are loose.
• Empty beer bottles outside reception (still there overnight).
• A general “tired” look to the whole complex including furniture, carpets, wallpaper, etc.
• Sauna did not work properly.
• Toilet in men’s change room in pool area is loose and rocks back and forth.
• Lack of information in the room regarding what’s available at the resort, community, etc.

In our experience the only redeeming quality of the resort was the restaurant – we did enjoy dinner and breakfast and the services of the restaurant staff.

As someone who travels regularly for business and pleasure I can, without hesitation, tell you the Pinestone Rsort experience has been the worst in recent memory.

Based on our experience we will not be visiting Pinestone Resort again and will not be recommending the resort to family, friends and co-workers. I will even be asking TravelZoo if there is a way we can be refunded for the accommodation part of the cost of the package.

Room Tip: If you must stay here spend more money and get an "upgraded" room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hydehouse
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The resort is dated and really needs a facelift. The golf course is a mess and really needs work on the greens. Green fees are too costly for what you get. No, I will not return. I feel sorry for people who look forward to a lovely getaway and end up here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends