“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY - DUMP”
Review of Silver Maple Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haliburton
Silver Maple Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Haliburton
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place is run by people that are at best functional illiterates and the quality of the facilities reflects the lack of pride, care and attention to detail. The attached pictures speak for themselves. Notice the quaint cottage that is for rent.
Notice the quality of how the beds were made and room was cleaned upon returning in the afternoon.
Lastly, the community microwave oven. Outside for all to enjoy.

I won't even get into the inability of the staff to keep reservations straight, Their lack of mental acuity was staggering.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aliveinsf

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I were placed in a motel room at the Silver Maple during a business trip over the long weekend. When I walked into the room it had a distinct negative odor, and to be honest, the walls were just a really ugly yellow colour. It was not a 'sketchy' motel which was a bonus, but certainly not somewhere I would want to stay again.
I desperately needed a shower upon coming as it was a long drive here, but there was no shampoo in the bathroom. I decided to use a soap bar and take a bath, and then I did not fit in the tub lengthwise. I am of average height. There is also no plug in the bathroom, which was extremely inconvenient for shaving and preparing hair, etc.
The air conditioner works excellently, which was a plus as we were looking forward to the promised air conditioning. The wifi however is very slow, and the air conditioner does leak, which is probably the cause of the smell. The center of the wall on right side of the room is warped and soaked, as is the carpet. There was a slug in the morning on the wall.
The beds were very uncomfortable, and when we went to bed I attempted to change the clock's time as it was off by two hours and a couple minutes, which did not work. Then I attempted to set the alarm, but none of those buttons worked either. We set our phones instead, and were woken up in the middle of the night when the alarm went off. I ripped it out of the wall as the buttons didn't work properly to turn it off, only the snooze.
What we did enjoy was the fact that there was a small desk, a fridge, and some coffee. My husband was able to have breakfast before work due to the fridge - breakfast is not included, and the restaurant on site is not open early enough. The television set was excellent, as it is hung from the wall with an adjustable arm. The price is fantastic, although I have stayed in much nicer places in larger cities for the same. The location could not be better, it is right at the end of the main street, not directly part of the crowd, but definitely in walking distance. There is also a dock owned by Silver Maple across the street, which was a nice place for reading, but not really nice to swim as it is an area mainly for boating and there are cars driving past constantly, and no one else using it as a swimming area, making for an awkward situation unless you are looking at a midnight dip.

All in all, I would recommend this motel to someone who is arriving late and leaving early, looking for a cheap stop in. It is not comfortable for long term, or a family vacation. Finding something else in the immediate area is recommended for such an occasion.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BusinessWife22
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is a dump, they are extremely disorganized, and the staff/owners could not find their way out of a paper bag. On March 1st I made reservations to stay for 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) in August during a family reunion. Our family reunion was nearby (well, 50 km away but there are not many motels in the area). Via email they assigned room 16, AND requested that I complete the reservation with my credit card via phone. I did so by calling the motel long distance from the USA. The lady who answered was not able to help me and i was instructed to call back. I did so later that evening and gave them my Visa card number and the reservation was confirmed. I asked for another confirmation via email but they said they did not know how to do it. I called, AGAIN, 1 week prior to reconfirm as I was concerned because they seemed so disorganized and there are not a lot of options in the area. We were assured that we had room 16 booked for 2 nights. The day of arrival we were with my family at the reunion, so I called around 4 pm, said that we were in the area, that we WERE going to show up, and to NOT give our room up. When we arrived at 9:30 pm they could not locate our reservation. They had given our room away EVEN though we had a confirmation, a room number, and they had my credit card. My family ended up staying at the hotel (they had arrived a day earlier and did not have this issue) and when I saw their room it was marginal - at best. I am glad we were forced to find another hotel room on our own. We stayed at the Lakeview Motel just down the road, for a few bucks more, and the staff was delightful, efficient, and rooms were clean and quiet. Silver Maple Motel advertises "best prices in town" but we would never stay here again, even if it were free.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SandraBaja
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This motel is a small privately owned motel in Haliburton. It has a great view of a beautiful lake right across the street and even has its own docking facility. The rooms are very clean and comfortable but not as lavish as the big chain motels. Still, for the price a great place to stay in cottage country.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Byron W
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Very nice, clean comfortable was kept warm and toasty was very surprised actually considering it is beside a gas station and snowmobile time. Would recommend this motel to any one going to Haliburton who wants a clean comfortable, reasonable priced place to stay. There was a coffee maker with enough coffee to make one cup or two of coffee and a Fridge. Enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lhllnd
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Working in the construction field we find ourselves many night in hotels throughout most of Ontario. This hotel was clean, friendly and well located for people on vacation. However since we were there for a week at a time we had to take too many things with us that many chain hotels supply. There was a coffee maker in the room, however coffee was only supplied once. There were no coffee cups, only a couple of small disposible cups. The bathroom had only two very small bars of soap, and no shampoo, and no hair dryer. There was no ice availabe either There is a restaurant on site and Diane's cooking great, but not open early enough for us to get to work. The owners are very friendly. so again I say, great place if you are out on a holiday and you pack everything anyway, but if you are there longterm for work, it was a bit inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the same side as the restaurant, they are newer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank snowbaby369
Reviewed October 30, 2011

When visiting the lakes or cottage country in Ontario, Haliburton is a must-stay kind of town! It is a short distance to the Haliburton Forest Wolf Reserve which is incredible for Wolf-lovers to go and see. Very affordable there and also at the very nice Silver Maple Motel in Halburton itself. The units are plentiful, clean, quiet, well-serviced and the price is right! Probably the most affordable motel in all of Haliburton whcih can be pricey for accommodations otherwise. The folks who run the motel are very amenable. They also have 4 nice little cabins up the hill behind the motel, which are ideal for a fun, rustic stay for couples. Again, very afforable with some of them being newly renovated. The motel and cabins boast a gorgeous view of the lake and they even have their own little pier where you can sit and read a book or go swimming, launch a canoe etc. All in all, a fabulous town and the motel comes very highly recommended by me and my family.

Room Tip: No preference really.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple