“not so great”
Review of Polar Bear's Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Piedmont
Polar Bear's Club
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Piedmont
Hamilton, Canada
“not so great”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Sadly enough we were let down by our visit to Polar Bears Club! as other reviews have noted...the change rooms are in desperate need of repair and expansion. You have to rent housecoats but they give you a medium size towel. The saunas are constructed in tile which makes each seating area wet kinda gross (wood seems more appropriate!!) and of course they never tell you that flip flops are a must therefore you have to purchase some for $10 more bucks. Scenery is very nice but front reception is not so much! do your research cause there are many other places to spend your hard earned money and staff will actually be nice to tourists!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you need to go to a spa to relax, go somewhere else. We went in a group of 6, and 3 other couples were there, 2 of which we managed to befriend; I'm guessing this qualifies as a slow period for them. The only massages that day were for us.
The pools were great, but we were unable to enjoy it as anytime someone said something, one of the employees would come to tell us to keep quiet. We're not talking about us being rowdy, just asking for the time, or suggesting we leave the pool, and here one comes warning you, and threathening you of expulsion. I could understand if there were anyone there, but if were the only people there, were not disturbing anyone. I even got a warning for making too much noise getting out of a pool, too much splashing! Talking to the other couples, they had the same complaint.
You have to realise this spa is surrounded by 2 major highways. This place isn't quiet by a longshot! The sound of an 18 wheeler is a lot more distracting than the sound of water splashing!

The hammocks were disgusting, all stained. The locker rooms are drab, showers so small you can barely fit in, forget turning around.

If after all this you still decide to go, take a dip in the lake, in the bottom part, with the rope. Most refreshing experience, better than the cold water pools

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Eric L

Travelers are raving about these Piedmont hotels

Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
Reviewed August 27, 2012

On august 25, 2012 somebody broke into my locker and took all the cash, cellular phone and my watch. The receptionist was very insensitive when I reported the incident and told me they cannot guarantee the security of the lockers. I asked her if this is the first time they have such an incident. She answered that it is not the first time but it doesn’t happen often. I asked her when the last time they had a rubbery in the lockers was and she told me that happened 3 months ago. This is unbelievable for a serious service provider company. They are OK that every 3 months their clients could be rubbed. They do not feel responsible or obliged to improve the security.
I do not recommend you Polar’s Bear Club
Lucian

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lucian J
Montreal
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I have been to the Polar Bear's Club several times and enjoy the experience immensely. The facilities are varied, there are indoor and outdoor parts, the saunas and the outside pools are great. But the change rooms are a in dire need of an upgrade. They are small (crammed actually) and while there are two showers in the women's (not enough), there is only one in the men's. When we were there my boyfriend decided to forgo having a shower rather than having to wait in tight quarters with five other guys, all wanting to take a shower at the same time. At this price, one would expect better.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WMontreal
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My husband and I took two of our children to the spa for a few days in January. The room was spacious enough for the four of us - we took a couple of inflatable matresses and were not at all crowded. Our room had a small kitchen, so we were able to have breakfast and lunch without leaving the club. The bathroom was HUGE. For dinner, we drove to Sainte Sauveur (sp?) and were overwhelmed by the number of restaurants there. Would recommend checking Trip Advisor before you go to select a restaurant as there is not internet available.

With no TV or wireless, it is pretty peaceful. Loved sitting infront of the fire in the evening with the family. Sitting in the hot baths looking out at the frozen river was so relaxing. Going from the sauna to the cold pool was so invigorating - I was surprised that I actually liked it. And spending time in the relaxation rooms was idyllic. Thursday and Friday were fantastic and the facilities were not crowded at all. Saturday was a different story but not unenjoyable. I'd go back again in the mid week.

The only hiccup we experienced during our stay was a bit of a mix up with our booking - one night instead of two - but that was cleared up without too much hassle. The staff were all pleasant but quite serious about guests not talking while using the facilities ... that had its good and bad points ... but served to preserve the peaceful atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank COzols
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Polar Bear Club yesterday, late afternoon into evening, and had a really fantastically wonderful experience.

I wanted to give him something different for Christmas, a unique experience, and something that felt vacation-like and relaxing, and this fit the bill (and then some).

We weren't sure what to expect. I had made the mistake of reading the reviews on here right before we headed off, and had mentally prepared myself for a crowded and possibly disappointing experience. In reality, it was far better than we could have dreamed or expected, and I can't at all understand how the other (negative) reviewers could be talking about the same place.

We did the sauna/hot tubs (not the messages). Basically, you arrive at this gloriously beautiful and serene location, set on a raging half-frozen river (different at warmer times of the year, obviously). You start off by getting your body temperature up, by lounging in either a steam room, or a sauna (that in itself was already uber relaxing). From there, you head outside, in your bathing suit, and go down to the river where you're meant to have a quick dunk (to re-lower your temperature). We managed to put our feet in, yelp, and take them out very quickly. It's meant to be great for circulation. For us, it was mostly fun, and a challenge. Something different, neither of us had ever tried before. From there, you head into the very welcoming toasty warm hot tub, outdoors, with lovely views of the surrounding snowy mountains. One of the hot tubs has a great little cave you can access by going underneath a waterfall of cascading hot water. It was great, to be outside, in frosty cold weather, sitting in a bathing suit in a hot tub, and feeling wonderful warm. We did this whole process 4 times (a minimum of 3 times was recommended). We spent about 4 hours there in total, relaxing, lounging, heating up, then cooling down, then quickly heating up again. It was pure bliss.

The experience was certainly fun. Going from hot then psyching yourself up to go into the icy cold pool, and walking around in flip-flops and bathing suits in frosty temperatures can't help but make you laugh or at least smile. It was also romantic (though it's the kind of experience which would be lovely to do a friend(s) or with family as well)

It was invigorating - we both felt great and hugely relaxed afterwards. And exhausting - we were both in a state of post-Polar-Bear-Club-sleepy bliss afterwards.

I highly recommend it as a something-different experience and a wonderful way to pamper yourself or someone else.

My quick comments on the negative reviews on here are that yes, the parking lot is a few minutes walk, on the road, but there was a shuttle van waiting for us to take us from our car to the spa (which would have literally taken us 2 minutes to walk). The reception was courteous and gave us detailed descriptions of the process, what to expect, plus some tips. The changing/locker room had hardly anyone else in it. And yup, we were told a few times to keep the chatting down, but very politely, and it was our fault for forgetting to be quiet in the quiet areas (whispering was fine, and everyone else was doing so as well). At first we thought it was funny that we had to be quiet (rather than get to share the experience vocally with each other). But the quiet adds to the feeling of relaxation, and not having to hear everyone else's conversation is a rare treat, which definitely adds to it all. As I said above, we did whisper, and the one time that I (and others) couldn't quite refrain from letting out loud squeel or shrieks (or in my case, a very loud "what the hell!!!") was the first time you immerse yourself into the frigid icy water.

It was great! And definitely worth going.

Enjoy!! We sure did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa C
NY
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My family and a few family friends went to the polar bear spa looking to relax and enjoy our sunday afternoon. The promise of a relaxing experience started off poorly with the locker room so crowded that it reminded us of a public restroom amidst a holiday celebration. There was not enough room to put one's bag down, forget about changing in dignity without having someone's hair or wet towel constantly brushing against you. Next we headed to the wirlpool to finally wind down. Well, as i was trying to say a quiet word to my friend, a guard came out running to give me the warning that no talking was allowed. We said ok, we ll try our best. Then as one of us was wispering something about his experience with the spa, the guard rushed back to tell us that now we are given a second warning since silence is to not only be practiced but to be enforced upon all the club visitors. Apparently, my duty was to keep my mouth shut so a) others could enjoy - i suppose silence is the uttermost ingredient of enjoyment in this particular spa and b) those having massage upstairs would not be bothered by our conversations. To top it off, the guards would stand around the pools and stare at the people to enforce the 'silence rule' which certainly was not only aggravating but rather inappropriate for an environment that was to relax your body and soul. Maybe if this was a prison spa, i would accept it but hey you dont pay an entrance fee in that type of setting.
Angry and frustrated, we asked the guards about the part of the spa where talking was allowed. Sufficient to say that it was the case on just about 10% of the property where we headed to looking to finally relax and enjoy ourselves. Indeed once there we could certainly chat freely while taking a pleasant dip in the only pool available that for some sad reason resembled a glorified home tub and as such could accomodate somewhere in the range of 6-8 people - unless we were willing to climb on top of each other or stand shoulder to shoulder with the strangers - which believe me, we were not going to do. Having had enough, we decided to leave. Oh if only that was easy. Getting through the overcrowded locker took the last bit of energy and made all of us wonder who and why woud ever go to polar bear in search of relaxation??? Unless you are eager to ruin your day at ths spa, take my word for it, do not bother! In less than 2 hours we have been treated like cattle and humiliated to build up the level of stress and frustration that a bad month at work could not come close to!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank snorkeling_lover_123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piedmont
Hotel St-Sauveur
#1 of 1 in Esterel
Motel de la Riviere
Motel de la Riviere
#3 of 5 in Piedmont

Been to Polar Bear's Club? Share your experiences!