“A Very Special Place”
Review of Chateau Charly

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cher
Chateau Charly
Ranked #8 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Cher
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“A Very Special Place”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recommended by a friend, read the reviews & decided to go.

Chateau Charly a truly wonderful place. Have been back a week & just planning when to go again.

Key features for us was the beautiful setting, wonderful spacious rooms, super decor and great host.

Swam in the pool, which is set in the orchid, it was great, went for some runs in the village - just picturesque.

All the glowing reviews on T.A. are fully justified. I can not recommend this place high enough. It's very easy to get to from Paris, we went by train, it took two hours - great train service. Booked our tickets through www.raileurope.co.uk & of course Eurostar to Paris. We were picked up in Nevers and driven to Charly.

There is also lots to do nearby - Charly is actually on the edge of the Loire Valley - beautiful gardens and the most amazing picturesque French villages. It's best to speak with the team at Charly and get their recommendations on the options available for the time of the year.

The owner Paul - could not have made us feel more welcome, a very generous spirited person and just very relaxed about everything, with a great sense of humour!

One final point - Charly has its own wine - comes from Sancerre. Pre dinner drinks in the garden, with a glass of Rose' in my hand, was a touch of heaven!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our stay at chateau charly was perfect in every way with flawless service, and excellent facilities all set in stunning, breathtaking surroundings.
Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts who, from the first moment we arrived, bent over backwards to ensure our stay was as memorable as possible….and all in the name of charity.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

What an amazing place. Incredible home in a wonderful location. The hospitality is fabulous. The food was very good, the grounds are beautiful and it combines the ethics of green living with the charm of traditional France. If you have the opportunity to stay at Chateau Charly you should.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Guernsey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have known about Paul's vision and dreams for a couple of years now and have waited patiently for my visit. From the minute you pass through the gates and have the Chateau in sight, you can see you are in for a beautiful treat. Anna welcomes you in like she has known you for years and shows you around the chateau with great delight. Once settled in one of the many beautiful rooms, it's time to explore the grounds. We were privileged to have Paul show us around the whole grounds and to tell us of his dreams - wow he certainly has some!!!

I should say we only booked 2 nights but within half an hour we knew we wanted to stay longer and luckily there was room for another 2 nights, so we ended up staying 4 nights and given the chance would have stayed longer!!

Nothing is too much trouble for either Paul or Anna both are always on hand to help make your stay even more relaxing.

We spent days lounging around the pool in complete peace and evenings eating delicious food and drinking gorgeous chateau charly wine.

Anna kindly took us to sancerre for one day where we visited a lovely cave owned by Phillipe and Lyn who gave us a lovely tour of their cave and plenty of wine to taste!!!

All in all it was the most relaxing peaceful holiday in a long time and we can't wait to come back next year and for years to come!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I took my aged parents to Charly in 2008 and we had a lovely stay, with beautiful rooms, superb surroundings and the opportunity to spend languid July days exploring the quietly beautiful countryside and rivers nearby. The only slightly disappointing thing was that the owners (Philippa and Jason Park) , who had taken a near-derelict house and restored it, seemed uncomfortable both with being hoteliers and with being in France, This cast a sense of gloom over the place, to which we had to shut our minds. We remarked to each other that we could not see the place lasting long as it was.

Sure enough, the house was sold in the coming years. This July, I wanted to see how the place had changed since Paul Solomons had taken it over, so I brought my mother (sadly widowed since our last visit) en rounte for the Cote d'Azur. I found everything I liked had been enhanced, while Paul (ably assisted by Anna) brought a much more happy note to the atmosphere there, Staying at Charly under Paul's ownership is much like visiting a friend, and a delightful one at that. He is full of helpful suggestions and no trouble seems too much for him. I wish him all the best of success with running this beautiful property and I shall look forward to my next opportunity to stay there.

Room Tip: I've seen 4 of them and they were all excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Chateau and I must say it was absolutely incredible. The Chateau is charming and has been updated with all the modern conveniences you would expect. The grounds are lovely and The food was always amazing. We originally planned on staying at the chateau for 4 nights and staying in Paris for 4 more nights, but once we arrived at Chateau Charly, and saw how amazing everything was, we changed our itinerary and stayed at the chateau for 7 days and only one night in Paris! Paul and Anna are the best hosts I have ever encountered. I simply can't recommend Chateau Charly highly enough!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drbchilds
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Just wanted to say what a great time we had at the Chateau - we were probably almost the first to be there. Everything was perfect the decoration gardens etc. Having spent some of the time with Anna in the kitchen I know how hard she works and the food was great - well done.

I have to mention the Teddies one of which has now travelled all the way to Sydney!!!

Hope to be back soon

Take care
Anne M

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cher
Chateau de Perreux - Amboise
Hotel Le Manoir les Minimes
Chateau des Briottieres
Chateau des Briottieres
#1 of 2 in Champigne

Been to Chateau Charly? Share your experiences!