“unpleasant experience”
Review of La Beauconniere

La Beauconniere
Ranked #1 of 2 Lamberville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you enjoy the lovely charm of French b&b, with kind and thoughtful owners, then this might not be the place for you. The rooms are very spacious and immaculately clean, thanks to the children of the owner who I think are doing a great job. We felt that the owner was no longer enjoying sharing his home and it was uncomfortable for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wicoe
LambervilleDean, Owner at La Beauconniere, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Probably the most pompous, jumped-up cretins ever to darken my door and I absolutely couldn't wait for them to leave. We ask our guests to arrive between three and seven. This woman told me they would arrive by ten. No problem, so long as we know. They arrived at twenty to eleven with the announcement "We're late." Of course, due to Tripadvisor, it isn't possible any longer to say "You might have phoned", or to expect some sort of thank you for waiting up, or anything along those lines, so with the virtual Sword of Damocles of a bad Tripadvisor review hanging over one's head, one must tolerate even the most inconsiderate fools that come along. Therefore, I put the lateness of the hour aside and chatted with them cordially for awhile. For the ten minutes or so that I spent with these people, the husband's condescending, self-important manner made me feel that I ought to cut the welcome short, and so I turned to leave. The woman then asked for tea! I knew, based upon the woman's references to Tripadvisor, that no tea would ensure a bad review, but I had aleady had my fill of these two fools and declined their request for tea.
In the morning, I tried to make the best of it, but the husband was such a wretched fellow that I gave up. The wife did ever so slightly better, telling me how important her "government minister" husband is and that he had to be accessible. Normally, when one reaches a certain age, you might expect the ego to take a back seat. Not in this case, however; far too important for that. If they hadn't decided to leave, I was going to ask them to do so. We are fortunate enough to have so many lovely guests that we can well do without a couple of egotists like these two hanging around with their miserable, pompous faces.
Generally, I have stopped responding to Tripadvisor reviews and have really not been asking my guests to share their nice experiences. I think Tripadvisor is a terrible tool, allowing people to ruin a good reputation when such people themselves are at least half to blame for the mismatch that results in a bad stay.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

As we pulled into the driveway of La Beauconnere we were greeted by Dean and Susan. They immediately make you feel as if you have been old friends for many years. Dean showed us to our rooms. He even helped with our luggage. He showed us around the property and offered some helpful hints for dinner that night.
The next morning at breakfast, which was wonderful pasties and bread, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and orange juice, Dean asked about our plans for the day. He offered some tips on places to see and restaurants in the area.
Dean and Susan are very accommodating. I believe that they would have done their best to meet any special requests we may have had. We never felt like we were guests. It was refreshing to be treated so warmly, unlike the unfriendly, cold treatment of a hotel.
The property is quiet and peaceful. Our rooms were very comfortable. It is centrally located to all the main attractions in the area.
It is well worth your time to check out this B and B. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gail K
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We traveled with two other couples through four separate countries during the Spring. We found that La Beauconniere was a very nice place to stay and maybe the best place on our whole trip. It sits in a very tranquil country environment surrounded by wide open farms and quaintly narrow country roads. Dean and Susan remodeled the original 300 year old farm house into a beautifully modern building that is separate from the family's living quarters. The rooms are so quiet, it is difficult to hear any of the other quests in the same building. The beds were clean and comfortable, the bathrooms are modern and functional, and we found our hosts very friendly and engaging. We were the only guests at the time and our host were gracious enough to allow us to interact with their kids, the horses and take early morning walks around the farm.

We are early risers and were using La Beauconniere as a base to see Mont St. Michele (45 minutes), D-day Beaches (30 minutes), Bayeau (20 minutes) and other areas in Normandy. It was a respite from our stay in Paris. It gave us some time to reset and enjoy the Normandy countryside.

Room Tip: We stayed in the one story portion of the building. It was very comfortable and came with a tub in t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Myself,my husband and our two friends have just come back from another wonderful holiday at La Beauconniere. The owners Dean and Susan make us feel so welcome it's like staying with dear friends.Their three children who can also been seen helping out in this family run bed & breakfast are all so polite and friendly,they truly are a credit to their parents. Dean is like a fabulous breath of fresh air in the morning with his cheerful personality and looks after us so well during our breakfast serving delicious dishes freshly made by Susan. The comfortable bedrooms are to an exceptionally high standard being very spacious and spotlessly clean.The fact that we are able to use the dining area and outside picnic tables and benches in the evenings should we choose to bring our own food in makes it ideal for a very relaxing and chilled out stay. We love visiting La Beauconniere and hope we won't have to wait too long until our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here a few nights with our young family and some close friends & their family. This is a true B&B where you feel like are a guest in someone's house, even though the hosts live in another building. If you expect to be able to do your own things, not engage socially with your hosts and do as you please, this is not the place for you. This B&B is a good choice if:

1. You like to engage in chit chat with your host, even first thing in the morning.

2. You don't mind your arrivals & departures from the property being watched & noted.

It is not a good choice if:

1. You tend to depart, however slightly, from stated arrival times or checkout times.

2. You are not ready for your hosts to act as though you have betrayed them personally if you break any house rules, some of which are unstated.

Our stay would have been pleasant had it not been for extreme behavior on the part of the hosts on our departure.

We arrived, with some of our party having stayed there before. Dean remembered certain facts so precisely that my friend believed they must have been written down after the last stay! That's fine, nothing to complain about.

Though guests stay in a separate building, it is clear that the hosts regard the guest house as their own abode. The host complained to me about how he was amazed that previous guests had helped themselves to orange juice in the fridge. I wasn't surprised, as most of the time there is no one else in the small kitchen there. He also complained that guests leave dirty plates, glasses about. But again as this seems like a communal kitchen it's to be expected.

On our day of departure, my family had packed up & vacated the room by the checkout time, which I looked up in the room. Our friends did not. At ten past the hour, my friend had verbal abuse from Dean, make insulting personal remarks based on previous conversations they'd had & cast aspersions on my friend's character. Susan also made the remark that my friend "had no idea how hard we were making it for them". Well, no we didn't actually and that is half the point. Then Dean gave an even nastier serve my other friend a few minutes later. My friends were quite shaken, and upset all the rest of the day as we drove on to our next town.

From observing all this, I had the feeling that Dean & Susan were perhaps not the right type of people to run a B&B. My comments on this whole scenario and feedback to the hosts would be as follows

1. If checkout time is important, emphasize it. I wouldn't have known it had I not consulted the papers in our room. My friend had spoken with Dean that morning & he could have mentioned it was important to vacate the rooms on time.

2. If kitchen rules are important, write them on the walls. If you don't want guests to drink OJ in the fridge don't leave it there. I can see that people might help themselves as its not in the hosts own kitchen.

3. Don't personally attack your guests. Remain professional at all times.

Unfortunately, I will not be returning due to the behavior of the hosts. This is what I remember most vividly of my trip to France....

Room Tip: Remember you should act as if you are staying in the main house.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank PipFromByambeeSt
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My mother, husband, 10-month old and I traveled to La Beauconniere at the end of a trip to Paris. After 3 days in hot, sprawling, crowded, fast-paced Paris, a completely different --peaceful, relaxed, stress-free-- feeling washed over us as we drove onto this beautiful property and were greeted by Dean, Susan and their lovely children.

In communication with Dean prior to booking, I mentioned that we would be traveling with our 10 month old son. i had been surprised to find a large number of B&Bs that would not allow our baby, but La Beauconniere was a perfect place for him! Susan had a sweet little travel crib with Paddington Bear bedding set up when we arrived.

The building that houses the guest rooms was beautiful and charming, and our two rooms were spacious, clean, and well-presented. Dean was happy to give suggestions for day trips, make restaurant recommendations/reservations, and made a point of introducing us to the other guests, which added to the laid-back atmosphere. When breakfast was served, Dean stuck around to engage the guests (who sit together at long tables) in lively, friendly conversation... a wonderful start to our days. We typically travel to B&Bs in the UK where we are almost always served "Full English breakfast". Although my husband would have appreciated more food or more 'filling' food to last him til lunchtime, Susan's tasty breakfasts were a delicious and delightful change of pace.

Our fondest memories of our trip to France are truly those of the time we spent relaxing, looking at the animals, and playing in the garden at La Beauconniere! This will be one of the B&Bs that we compare all others to. My only regret about staying at La Beauconniere is that we didn't stay long enough!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at La Beauconniere during our honeymoon for 2 nights. Our only regret was not keeping our travel plans more flexible so we could have stayed an entire week. Our experience at this quaint bed and breakfast was absolutely wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone looking to visit the Normandy countryside.

From the moment we pulled down the picturesque gravel driveway - lined by trees rustling in the French breeze and flanked by beautiful green pastures and horses - we knew this was the right place for us. The lush scenery was everything I expected of the Normandy countryside, and then some. We were immediately greeted by the absolute best hospitality a traveler could ask for. Dean, Susan, and the kids were lined up in the driveway waiting for us as we pulled into the home. Dean - running the show with military precision and an infectiously jolly demeanor - immediately snapped into action. Before we could even set foot out of the car he was grabbing our bags for us and greeting us by name - honestly how many times have you been greeted by name at a hotel when you walk in the door? Dean knows how to make you feel welcome.

The little cobblestone cottage they put us in was incredible. I believe it was built a few hundred years ago (at least), but it has been immaculately maintained. It is clean, with soft beds and warm showers.

Every morning Dean and Susan cooked us their famous breakfast, which was a perfect way to start the day.

The location is perfect for anyone wanting to see the WWII historic sights - and I recommend that you absolutely do. The landing beaches were just a short drive from La Beauconniere, and Dean will give you plenty of local / expert advice on how to get there and what sites to visit. We spent an entire day just driving around the gorgeous French countryside, seeing the WWII sites, and soaking in the truly amazing history and beauty of it all. As a retired Army Ranger, the history of the area was tear jerking, but the raw beauty of the landscape was equally impressive. A truly incredible experience that words cannot describe.

The second day Susan (and all three of the kids) took me on an incredible journey of the Normandy countryside on horseback. This was an amazing experience that I will never forget. Susan was an expert rider and helped me learn the basics of riding (I am a novice), while the kids gave me all sorts of unique background on the surrounding landscape. Much of the ride was through the Normandy hedgerows, on trails that one would never see by simply driving through the area. These same hedgerows were the site of fierce fighting during World War II - just an amazing experience.

I cannot praise La Beauconniere enough. If you go to Normandy, do yourself and stay with Dean, Susan, and the kids. You will leave there feeling like part of the family, and having seen some of the most incredible scenery and historic sights that France can offer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Beauconniere? Share your experiences!