“Just ok”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tallebudgera
Australia, Queensland
“Just ok”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to Gwignanna, pregnant and was looking forward to relaxation and pampering. The food portions were restricted. I was hoping for beautiful, fresh abundance of juices, healthy desserts etc but this was not the case. They served freshly squeezed juices once for afternoon tea and dessert at the last lunch only. I was actually hungry a lot of the time. Morning and afternoon tea were usually a small bliss ball each.
My room, one of the orchard suites had mosquitoes in it which kept me awake at night. I was given a bottle of mosquito repellant and told there was nothing else they could do.
Treatments at the spa were ok but not of a high consistency; it was a mixed bag depending on who you got. In my opinion not worthy of the inflated prices charged eg $90 for a pedicure.
I mostly enjoyed my time at Gwinganna and met some interesting people and really that was the highlight for me.
Having said that, I would not necessarily recommend it to others.

Stayed December 2013
4 Thank StarNvigator
Gwinganna, General Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear StarNvigator,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry that your stay was not ideal. We would love to be able to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact us directly.
One of our focus areas is pregnancy and so we make sure our team are aware when a guest is pregnant so we can deliver all the requirements needed to make a stay more enjoyable. This also means considering any special needs, especially with regard to food.
In a bushland environment we soemtimes find that mosquitoes are more prevalent depending on the weather which presents an ongoing challenge for us.
The feedback we receive from our spa therapists is outstanding. Many of our guests are well travelled and say the therapists are amongst the best they have had. Our apologies that you did not find this.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

If you are run down exhausted broken down and keep indulging in bad habits to cope, and need to just redjust to equilibrium, this is the place.

Healthy but relaxing and energising.

The morning Tai Chi and then a walk or aquaaerobics, followed by apple cider shots and a healthy breakfast.

Mind blowing talks about health every day. It really has changed my views about my lifestyle and what I eat and how I sleep and how I approach exercise.

There are great activities to do in the morning and plenty of facilities to hang out if you want to be alone or swim or use the gym or do nothing - the grounds are beautiful.

The snacks and lunch are healthy but amazing.

The afternoon is dedicated to relaxing and pampering at the spa. I have next been to such a beautiful spa with such up to date therapies and wonderful caring healing therapists. I wish I could have stayed longer to try everything.

Night is mediatation or music therapy or other things. Dinner is always amazing, and you sit in groups so there is never any feeling alone if you are travelling alone. There were a lot of people there on their own - good place to be alone to sort your head out without feeling the stigma of being alone. Lots of people are there for similar reasons and interested in the health and healing and other messages, so you have plenty to talk about.

The final night gathering is such a charming idea.

If you want to give up smoking, drinking, readjust your body clock, get motivated to start a new diet, this is for you.Spend a week starting to healthier you with the best support and pampering and healthy messages that you could hope for. You will feel confident and energised to keep it up when you get home. Cannot recommend it highly enough for people who know they have to change their lifestyle.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ChrisVic2013
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

It was my first visit to Gwinganna. At first I was a little worried about travelling solo but I believe it is an absolute must for a place like this! You benefit so much from having some "me" time and also bonding with others. Had a wonderful group and I really do believe that this played a major role in why I had such a great time. I met and formed some amazing friendships and we still remain in touch! Food was amazing- I was so impressed and they catered to my dietary requirements almost perfectly. I try not to get too caught up in the whole 'superfood' idea, as a I believe it can be a little over the top but I definitely do believe in wholesome, fresh foods that nourish the body and Gwinganna definitely provides this. I really enjoyed the walks and yoga sessions and of course.. Dreamtime.. ! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CatM09
Dear CatM09,
Thank you so much for your review and for choosing Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. We are very glad that your stay was so great. Many of our guests choose to come alone and often find they make wonderful connections with other guests. We look forward to taking care of you again. Many thanks.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We received a vouchure for this lovely place from our lovely friends. we were surprised at our experience. although the 5am sunrise was difficult, it was a weekend of relaxing and a beautiful spa treat!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catcatkat
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I just can't rave enough about this place. This was a return visit, and every bit as good as the previous. I love the ambiance of Gwinganna; the staff help make it an extraordinary experience, being gently encouraging, accepting and non-judgmental. There's no pressure to do the scheduled activities, but you're invited to try things out in a safe and supportive environment. Or you can, as I did for at least some of the time, discover the art of "pool-artes" and doze by one of their lovely infinity pools as much as your heart desires. The week program that I went to was Optimal Wellbeing - I went to this same program same time last year, and what a kick start it was for my healthy life style - managed to drop over 20kgs in the year! So, it works!
If you want a week away from normal hustle and bustle of a busy life, if you want to take some serious time out for pampering, learning about what you can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle from a number of different aspects, and in practical, do-able ways, meet like-minded people, have some fun, time for reflection - and eat the most amazing food cooked with love, this is for you. It may only be 5 nights away (plus a weekend if you're greedy, like me, and can't get enough of it!) but it's a world away from the normal madness of the rat race, so it actually feels like a really good break.
The accommodation, even in the older (and cheaper) buildings, is still really good, clean, comfortable, high quality linen and gorgeous fluffy towels, even little things like torches, air con, ceiling fans, wildlife outside your windows - like I said, I just cannot say enough about the place.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a golf buggy ride away from the main activity centre; check before you book if...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank CandJMelbourne
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had my first return to Gwinganna since 2009. The spa is sensational, the seminars informative and the food delicious- plenty of it,would have liked to have had some more chicken rather then fish most nights the rooms are def starting to look a little tired we were in the Orchid suites and on the Sunday weren't too clean. It must be difficult for them on Sunday with a large group leaving and more arriving but they were def below par.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank andreat851
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Have just completed our first time at a health spa wellness retreat. We had amazing room - huge - 3 times size of hotel room with own balcony overlooking pond...included steam room and washing machine and dryer. Beautiful scenery, activities, treatments, fantastic array of practitioners, you could do as much or little as you liked. Two beautiful infinity pools and great health seminars each morning. Organic food was a change for us but was plentiful and beautiful selection of food. Overall lovely break, feeling refreshed and would return for a special treat.

Room Tip: Choose a villa or signature room or orchard suite ( we had signature)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacky9b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tallebudgera
Palazzo Versace
Nirvana By The Sea
#1 of 12 in Coolangatta
Meriton Suites Southport
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa

Been to Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat? Share your experiences!