“Great pub that deserves great reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Wincle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Village pub in the peak district, close to Leek, macclesfield and buxton. Everyone welcome, all the family, including children and dogs. We are open all day, everyday.
“Great pub that deserves great reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this pub many times over the past few years and several times in recent months...I'm pleased to say that it Its returned to form and on the visits that I have made here over the past year the food has been great,the wine fab and the service excellent. I cannot fathom why anyone would write a bad review of this place...it's the perfect summertime lunch stop as far as I'm concerned!!

Visited June 2014

Reading, United Kingdom
“Pleasant food, beautiful setting and caring publicans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had a family meal - 7 of us and my niece was feeling ill. The publicans showed real concern, which was lovely. the steak and venison pie was very tasty as were all the meals.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful place for Sunday Lunch on a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've been to the Ship Inn at Wincle on one previous occasion so I knew before getting there this time, that the food and service were better than ordinary. However, this time it exceeded my expectations. It was dad's birthday and it proved to be the perfect place for a celebration.

It's a lovely pub surrounded by beautiful countryside and provides excellent home cooked food, and fantastic service from friendly and efficient staff. Both times I've visited, I haven't been able to fault anything. I'd recommend it and I'll definitely visit again sometime in the future.

• Visited June 2014
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Good beer & Dog friendly.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We found this pub totally by accident on a wet horrible afternoon. We popped in and asked if dogs are welcomed. Yes was the reply but could you use this room.... no problem totally fine by us, thank you. A lot of pubs turn you away with dogs so we were happy.
We saw some hikers wearing the blue overshoes which we though was a good idea and no one wearing them were complaining after all it keeps things clean for other users/diners.
The beers were very well kept and the lady serving was polite and helpful.
The menu was on the steep side but the portions being served looked large, we were hungry so food was ordered.
The (I think) landlord was a little 'short' as we ordered each item. I suppose some people would find his manner as being terse. (made no odds to me)
The food shortly arrived it was very tasty and of a good quality.
We will use this pub again.

2 Thank BlackpoolBrian
Manchester, United Kingdom
“An Unwelcoming Welcome”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

Consider this. A quaint pub in a quiet village popular with ramblers. Now imagine arriving in the afternoon after a pleasant hike looking forward to a decent pint of bitter. However, be careful not to arrive after 2.30pm as this landlord will be glad to turn you away. Add to this a refusal to allow in dogs, understandable if people are eating but the place was empty and requirement to cover your boots with plastic bags.
Maybe a city centre wine bar would be a more appropriate venue for this proprietor, none of those pesky walkers with muddy boots and money to spend!!

2 Thank Elaine M
Gary P, Owner at The Ship Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I have never felt the need to respond to reviews before, as I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions, however I feel it necessary to defend both the pub, my staff and myself on matters that involve, particularly walking parties that visit The Ship.On many occasions I have asked walking groups not to eat their own sandwiches and snacks in my gardens, this was put politey to each group, as we are not a picnic area, but I and my staff have called rude and ignorant. As for closing time it is 3pm and finish food at around 2.15 to 2.30 dependant on business. I have not turned anyone away at 2.30pm for drinks. As for dogs we do allow dogs in the one area of the pub, providing they are clean or wiped down. Many times dogs are brought in filthy and they the contents around the pub wall which I suggest you would not allow at home. As for the plastic bags these are purchased blue boot covers to prevent my floors being made a mess of, which I am sure any right minded person would consider reasonable. The Ship Inn is very popular with many people not just walking groups but do appriecate any business that venture out here. We do want to offer everyone a quality product not just food or drink but a clean warm environment. Sometimes courtesy and good manners are a two way street, not just something provided by my staff and other colleagues in this industry, who work hard to provide service for people such as yourself, only to be chasised by sites like this.