“Overpriced and Outdated--Rude Bartender at Snorting Elk!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain Hotels Alpine Inn
Washington State
“Overpriced and Outdated--Rude Bartender at Snorting Elk!”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I suspected the rooms might not be too nice since there were absolutely no pictures of the rooms to be found on crystalmountainlodging website. Upon making my reservation, I asked several times about the condition of the rooms and was assured they are clean and not too out of date. Well, I'm not sure what decade they are living in up there, because the rooms are a TRIBUTE TO THE 70's. We were first booked into the Quicksilver Lodge with a loft suite. Even my kids noticed the unusual decor. Let me spell it out. Pink and light blue everything....including the formica headboard..and tacky fabric. The black mold all along the window where it joins the ceiling for the entire length of the room is what prompted me to request a move across the parking lot to the Alpine Inn. Our room at the Alpine Inn had just about 8 inches between the foot of the very uncomfortable bed and couch for us to squeez by. (Neither my husband nor I slept for 3 nights on the old double bed and with the noise due to the thin walls.) Our room had not been vacuumed when we checked in and there was trash from the last guest in the closet. There is nothing in the room (no tv, fridge, coffee maker, hairdryer, or outlet near a sink.) When my son hurt himself and I needed ice, the manager told me to ask the bartender in the Snorting Elk downstairs. I politely asked for a bag of ice and explained to the bartender my son had hurt his knee. He rudely told me I would have to wait and when he started scooping it told me it would cost me $1.62 (I already had a dollar out to tip him which he could see). When I told him all I had was a dollar with me and tried to give it to him, he THREW it back at me! (We had also already purchased a round of drinks for four people and tipped him a few hours previously.) I was shocked!
About the only good thing about this place was the location. And, the man who was cleaning the rooms was VERY kind and hospitable. We left him a tip. Bottom Line: Crystal Mountain Lodging's three hotels are a RIP OFF and falsly adverstise in the lodge with photos of nice rooms with river rock fireplaces. They charge the same prices as hotels at Whistler, yet don't maintain their properties and treat guests poorly. Don't be fooled! We will try the Alta Lodge or renting a house or an rv instead next time

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Skigal4

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Diego
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I guess if you are stuck in a snow storm and there was no food for a hundred miles and they were giving it away, then eat up at the Alpine Inn. Otherwise, brown bag it. They charge $33 for their signature plate; Elk Steak. I've eaten shoe leather that was eaiser to chew and when it was brought out it was bleeding; not good for wild game. They "re-cooked" it because the "chef" was embarrassed and it was even worse. The half chicken was flavored okay, but dry as palm springs in august. $145 for a dinner for four and only two plates were even worth looking at. Nope, never again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank sandiegobikeguy

Travelers are raving about these Crystal Mountain hotels

Southern Washington
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Sorry Northern washington - Crystal Mt gets a 3 out of 10......IMO

I thought I'd give Crystal Mt a try - heard a few things about it - like it was really a skiers area - very true! Not much for boarders to do - and it's quite the drive to get there. The staff was friendly - at check in and on the slopes. Prices are high - but hey - your out in the middle of nowhere. The alpine inn and the room I had was - to say the least - way out dated!!! The room smelled and had wood rot (see pic - visible) next to the bathroom door (Rm111). What more can you say - the ski area was modern and they had high speed lifts - but the accomidations I had were from the 50's - but - if your hard up to just SKI - it might be worth a (single) trip - just to experience it - otherwise try someplace else - Mt hood - Bachelor.....etc

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank kubota7030
Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Alpine Inn was in a beautiful area, with lots of scenery and hiking. Rooms were dumps to say the least. The first room they put us in was very small, about maybe 10 feet by 7, not much room besides the bed. THEN WHEN WE PULLED THE COVERS BACK TO GO TO BED, A BUG FLEW OUT AND THERE WERE MANY BLACK HAIRS!!!! We requested to be moved to another room, and they obliged. Staff was not terribly apologetic or concerned about the cleanliness. Second room was just as small. Walls are very thin, and you can hear music from neighboring rooms or people in the hallway very easily. Furniture was very outdated, and mattress not very comfortable. The best way to describe it is as a youth hostel. Its fine if you dont mind some rundown accomodations, it is a notch above camping. The website is misleading in that it describes a much nicer and more modern accomodation. Sadly this place has a ton of potential, and with some renovations and possible management could be a winner.

• Liked — Close to Mt Rainier, good hiking
  • Disliked — Bugs, and hairs in bed!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michie2783
Spring, Texas
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The Alpine Inn is nestled behind the trees on the same property as 2 other Crystal Mountain Inns (Village & Quicksilver) and is steps away from the ski resort. It's an older property that hasn't seen many renovations since my grandparents used to hang out at there in the 50's, but the price reflects this. If you are looking for lap of luxury in the mountains, you will be disappointed if you stay here. If you are looking for a comfy, relaxed place where nature accounts for 99% of the decor, you will love this place.

I cannot speak for the winter time ski resort crowd, as we are hikers not skiers, but summer time is something that should not be missed on Crystal or Rainier, and the Alpine was a perfect landing pad after our long drives and hikes throughout Mt. Rainier.

The Alpine lacked all things pretentious, offering everything we needed: warm and tasty food, good cold beer (Snorting Elk Lodge), cozy ambiance, friendly staff, and the most beautiful scenery imaginable. Be forewarned if you have animal allergies, as the cabin kitties and pup (Mango) kept us company while we were on the property. One of the cats even cuddled up with us in our room for part of the night (he was invited though).

The room was temperature controlled, although the summer weather was a perfectly dry 78 degrees with cool breezes off of the melting snow which kept us comfortable. The bed was standard (felt very slept on) with flannel bedding and everything was very clean.

The downsides - With perfect views of Rainier, you may be surprised at the amount of driving you will do to get to scenic spots on Rainier if staying here. Make sure your gas tank is full. Mountain driving is very misleading, although you won't mind the views.
There isn't much for night life here during the summer. There were a max of 5 people in the lodge at any given moment and everyone seemed to go to sleep by midnight. Summertime is very sleepy in the area. Ski season is much different.

It was the most relaxing and invigorating vacation we've ever had. We plan to return once a year to regain the sanity that is so easily lost when living so far away from such beauty.

• Liked — Comfortable and Scenic
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Crystal Mountain Hotels
Crystal Mountain Hotels
#2 of 3 in Crystal Mountain

Been to Crystal Mountain Hotels Alpine Inn? Share your experiences!