“Never got to enjoy the stay because my daughter was in the hospital.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crystal Mountain
Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Although I'd like to write a great review, we actually did not get to enjoy the hotel at all. See we booked our room probably a month or two prior and did not expect our 9month old to be in the hospital. My husband called a day before our expected arrival and said we could not come due to an emergency and basically got an I'm sorry that's your own fault and we will not give your money back. I work for a big hotel chain so I know that there was something that could've been done. Could you have TRIED to sell the room? Yes, I'm pretty sure they're lots of people wanting to make last minute ski trips. The lack of attempt or care is why I rated this hotel low. Paid over $500 for a room we could not enjoy. Ended up giving it away to someone who could only go for a night. I will not be staying there ever and will rent a cabin instead.

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Jennsoares
cadematoWashington, Owner at Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

We are very sorry this guest's baby went to the hospital and she couldn't come as planned. We know her brother-in-law came the same weekend, had a great stay and in fact, stayed with us a second time this past weekend.

Last-minute cancellations are hard to fill since most last-minute people are looking for one night at the lowest possible cost, and these are not our customers. We are not a "large hotel chain" and most people know that you have to reserve well in advance if you want a room on a weekend. We also do not get last-minute walk-ins (like a city hotel). We are sometimes able to help in the case of emergencies, but one day in advance of the arrival date is just not enough time.

We strongly suggest trip insurance to all our guests, on the phone and/or in our confirmation emails, as the unexpected can occur. You'll find that every ski area hotel (and any cabins in this area) require notice for cancellations so this is a good idea regardless of where you stay.

On a positive note, the people to whom she gave her reservation came before noon on Saturday -- so enjoyed 1 1/2 out of 2 days -- and seemed to have a great time.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

vivian@altacrystalresort.com

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Our family has stayed at Alta Crystal Resort for the past three holidays--right after Christmas through the New Year. (We also stay a few times during the ski season.) Vivian and Steven are such warm and accommodating hosts. Each night they organize an activity that is appropriate for all ages. We've enjoyed bingo games, movie nights, craft and cookie decorating events. Each event provides a perfect after ski activity. We love the warm pool and the hot tub. Our family of three has stayed in the one bedroom and the loft rooms. Each is ample and is cleaned daily. This year, I had my heart set on a certain room. The "front desk" (thanks, April!) somehow made it happen. Wow. Plus, as the "mom" I love coming back from a day of skiing to a clean room. Each room is just like shown in the photos. The location is just a few miles from Crystal Ski Resort. The value for the amenities is superior. We've come to consider Vivian and Steven family. Staying at Alta Crystal is a tradition our family will enjoy for years to come. Thank you to all at Alta Crystal Resort!

Room Tip: We like to have rooms that face the pool. These may be a bit noisier, but we can stay and relax and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent the weekend in the Honeymoon Cabin. The log cabin was relatively new and very clean with comfortable furnishing and a nice layout . The plush queen bed was up in the loft, so not great if you have a problem with stairs at night, but a nice place to nest otherwise.

Has a small kitchen so you can cook if you are so inclined.

We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fmcgillin
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Spent a night here in January 2014 after a day at Crystal Mountain with my wife and 3-year old daughter. It was our first visit to Alta Crystal. The rooms were very clean and updated. We had fun playing in the pool while it was ~20 degrees outside. It sure made getting out of the pool a challenge because of ice surrounding the pool's edge. I'm not sure it was heated to 90 degrees, but we were able to enjoy it for awhile anyway.

The room was comfortable and we easily stayed warm all night. The bed was clean and plush, but the mattress on the pull out couch had some up appealing stains that we buffered with the extra blankets. The kitchen had all of the gear and gadgets we needed to make dinner and the little store in the office had a good selection of adult beverages to accompany our meal.

In the evening, resort staff hosted a well organized and appointed bonfire with s'mores, hot chocolate, and a veritable assortment of adult beverages. The perfect end to a day on the mountain.

My only issue...which is noted here by others and we were aware of when we booked...is that noise from the upstairs units is easily transmitted below. However, our upstairs neighbors respected the quiet hours and it wasn't an issue when settling down for the night.

We definitely enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to our next visit!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank snarlz
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am the angry woman the co-owner at Alta Crystal refers in her response by samoil99 review. My bed was on the upper floor and I was the most affected by the smoke. The reason we didn't report the issue immediately was that the first evening we were there this issue didn't exist probably because there were no guests in the bottom unit starting fire. The second evening the room smoked out and we thought it was from the outdoor bonfire that was part of the "fun activities" since as my brother in law saw you burning tires. The third evening upon returning from skiing the room smelled like marijuana, and soon after it smoked up by the lower unit fireplaces. I made a call to the reception and when the woman showed up she explained that the smoke keeps low cause it wants to stay in the warm enclosed spaces and that we need to start the fireplace to deal with the issue. She checked the door on the fireplace but it was closed, which means it should have kept the smoke out. So we had to start the fireplace, and stay with doors open to clean up the smoke. The upper unit never cleared and we had two fans running throughout the night as well as kept the fireplace going which is not the safest thing to do when sleeping. The next day I went to the reception and asked that the issue is dealt with to which she promised to bring an ionizer. When I came back from skiing there was no ionizer and I am sorry to hear they used Fabrise without consulting with us since my niece was coughing due to all the air pollution and that was the last thing we needed. Overall, there was no attempt to resolve the issue - there is no point in running malfunctioning fireplaces, and when will you fix the doors, when guests suffer carbon dioxide poisoning? You could have asked the lower unit to refrain from using the fireplace, since there was obviously a defect, and you blaming the weather made no sense since it wasn't even that cold. There was an overall lack of hospitality, I had to beg for extra towels and sheets from you (somehow I kept interacting with the same woman who seemed to get very defensive every time there was a request). The sleeping sofa also was extremely uncomfortable and "the springs could be felt" - as explained by my mom. The jacuzzi and the pool weren't hot enough and the wooden steps leading to the top floor were very slippery and narrow. There was no incentive to stay at this place and choke for another night once the rain spoiled the already meager skiing. We have a fireplace, tons of towels, sheets and comfortable beds at our house. Aside for being one of the two options for staying at Crystal resort you don't have many things working to your advantage. Even your response shows no consideration for what your guest are trying to tell you. We came back to this place because we liked it a lot the first time. But the quality went down the hill and there is a limit to what one can endure in order to be able to experience a nice family holiday. All you care about is making a buck, pushing some unreasonable rules such as how many nights one can stay and whether one can check early or not without offering anything in exchange. There are many other places one can visit for skiing and have a comfortable stay but Alta Crystal is no more one of those.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mometo
cadematoWashington, Owner at Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Mometo:

I'm very sorry you were unhappy with your stay. I don't want to reiterate everything I said in response to your sister's review, but we do take guest problems and complaints seriously as we want everyone to have a great time here. I shared your review with everyone who worked here, as we would never want to seem unfriendly when someone asks for extra towels, etc. -- and most guests compliment us on our customer service, so I was a little surprised.

Actually, since we're located in the national forest, I just want to say that we never burn tires at our evening bonfires. We burn wood. Burning tires is terrible for the environment and not something we would ever do. I'm not sure where your brother-in-law got that impression.

I enjoyed meeting you, your mother and your sister and, when you checked in, I actually remembered you from the prior year as your mother needed some help walking to our recreation lodge while you were out skiing. I feel bad that you feel we let you down.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Everything was good except that we chocked every night from the smoke that was coming from the lower unit's fireplace. I dreaded going back to my unit after a day of skiing in fresh air. Don't stay in the upper unit if you don't like to breathe smoke every night. My daughter developed a cough and they left for home one day early with my husband.
There's something very wrong with those fireplaces. I've stayed there once before a few years ago, I don't remember having that problem.

Otherwise the people were nice and they did some nice nightly entertainment for Christmas.

Room Tip: Avoid the upper unit in winter
Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank samoil99

Dear Guest:

I am always sorry when a guest has a complaint as our goal is for everyone to have a wonderful vacation here. I am also very sorry that the ski conditions were not as you had hoped, and I really wish we could control Mother Nature.

Our rooms have side-by-side chimneys for the upper and lower units, and very occasionally a room may get a downdraft. The quickest and easiest way to solve the problem is to close the fireplace flue or start a fire. In your case, the minute you let us know about the problem, someone from our office went over to check the flue. She offered to close it for you (as it was open) but one of the other people in the room wanted to make a fire instead.

It sounds like you had a problem the previous night and I am very sorry. It's hard for us to solve a problem if we don't know about it.

We checked your room the following day and could smell absolutely nothing, but put an ozonator (an expensive machine that clears the air and removes any odors) in there per your sister's request.

We have monitored the fireplace in your room since then, and have had no other issues. As an FYI, this was the same room you stayed in the previous year.

We hope you had another chance to come up later in the winter for a day ski trip as conditions dramatically improved in February, with 11 feet of snow in 11 days. Thank you for taking the time to give us input.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our family loves our stay at Alta Crystal each year. We have stayed here at least once a year for the last 4+ years. The owners do everything in there power to make each family's stay comfortable and enjoyable. There are many activities nearby, as well as, on site during many of the weekends/holidays. It's the perfect place for individuals who love the outdoors...skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, exploring, etc. I'm impressed each year with the updates that are made to the units/property. The pool is truly kept warm even in the winter. It is nice that they have a basket with some cooking items that one may forget at home (spices, staples, etc) for guests' use. We are already trying to figure out a weekend when we can return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kara H

Been to Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier? Share your experiences!