“very pleased”

Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier
Glendale, Arizona
“very pleased”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We returned for the 2nd year in a row. Very friendly family oriented. Breath taking scenery all around. There was a family activity every night. The pool was comfortably warm. The only draw back is telephone service. And I should mention we picked up a little hitchhiker (mouse) but they are all around living in the woods mostly.

Room Tip: There are no close restaurants so pack your food there is a kitchen in each room and once or twice a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank LaurieB12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We chose this "resort" expecting the normal resort amenities. Note that there is no restaurant on the premises. The best that you can do is travel about 15 minutes by car in either direction to get the equivalent of pub style food. The other option was to buy a frozen pizza, etc. from the store at the resort and cook it in the kitchenette in our one bedroom "chalet suite". The internet was spotty and initially wasn't working at all. After working with the staff for about 40 mins, we got enough connection to at least catch up on e-mails. Forget internet surfing let alone streaming. Note as well that there is no cell phone reception there or at the near by Crystal Mountain Resort area or until you get about 30 mins down the road toward Seattle. So, if you need to stay connected and/or are not interested in cooking your own food, then look elsewhere.
The "chalet suite" was of mid range motel quality with a bathroom that you might expect from 35 years ago. It cost as much as a beautiful room at the Westin in Seattle, so it was not a very good vaue.
Note also that since you are in the woods, all that you can see from your room is trees, parked cars from other guests and other "chalets". No flowers or gardens that one might expect at a resort. Kids of other guests did seem to be enjoying the heated pool, but it is too small to do any swimming.
The view of Mount Ranier from the gondola at the top of Crystal Mountain is breathtaking (15 mins by car) to the gondola. Had it not been for that, the overnight stay would have been a total loss.
The owners are friendly people, albeit not very tech savvy. Unfortunately, their answer to every concern is that they are restricted by what they can do by the park service, which may be true, but then don't advertise that you are a resort if all that you can offer is basic motel accommodation. If you are looking for an expensive motel in the woods with a pool for the kids and want to do your own cooking, and aren't that fussy about the amenities, then you have found the right place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank IntrepidTorontonian
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here in March. The review is a little late but I wanted to chime in. This was part of a belated honeymoon for my wife and I. She had never been to the Seattle area and I was hoping to show her why I love Mt. Rainier.

We booked the cabin that is just above the rest of the property. It's a great building. The kitchen had everything we needed for cooking a couple of meals and there was a charcoal grill outside by the creek that runs through the property. The upstairs is kind of loftish but it is spacious and has a nice little baclony to sit on. The fire place puts out more than enough heat (we were actually warm enough during the nighst that we turned it off.)

And it snowed. Glorious, huge flakes that blanketed the area. We threw snowballs at each other and sat on the porch under a warm blanket and listened to silence. While driving up to Crystal Mountain, we passed a small herd of Roosevelt Elk grazing on the grass that was poking through the snow.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay at Alta. There is a real lack of quality accomodations in and around Mt. Rainier National Park but Alta is a strong choice for those travelling to the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Macanudo
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Let's start out by saying that this is not a "resort" by any standard, unless of course, you are a wilderness man. But then again, it is located next to the scenic wilderness of Mt. Ranier NP, so I guess we can fudge our terms a little with the name. Alta Vista IS an OASIS in the wilderness, an extremely well designed and luxurious version of the camps we all attended as kids. The feeling here is relaxed, comfortable, and, well...wonderful. It has everything you will need while visiting the NP - food (via the grocery store which is well stocked), heated swimming pool, hot tub, recreation room (the ping pong table is outstanding), volley ball court, satellite TV and Internet, and great rooms. Our room was a loft unit which featured a downstair's BR, bath room, kitchen, and living room. The upstairs lofted area featured an open sleeping area with 2 beds and a bath room. All of this was perfect for our family. We enjoyed using the outside balcony attached to the unit as well as watching 2 of the hundreds of DVDs that are available for use. Bed and pillow quality were outstanding and the rooms were serenely quiet. The mountain stream next to AV adds the final touch of an ambience that is unforgettable. The location cannot be beat since it is at the doorstep in the NP and Crystal Mtn. One final note - the entire staff during our stay was friendly and helpful. Since our stay was on a Saturday night, we enjoyed the traditional bonfire with complimentary drinks and snacks which was a very nice touch. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GottaGoPlaces
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We set out with a long "to do" list of what we wanted to accomplish. We were very focused, with great internet connections, but no cell phones - we stayed on task. Took advantage of quiet time and peaceful surroundings, until it was time to head down the hill to Enumclaw where we had a delicious lunch at Rendezvous Wine and Brew. We added a bottle of wine "to go." Loved the delightful atmosphere, followed by shopping in the nearby boutiques. Only wish we had time for a spa or massage. Picked up salted caramels at "Essentials" and headed back to ACR. Campfire that night in the misty air. The following day we enjoyed lunch at the Summit House, the highest restaurant in Washington State and arguably, one of the best too! What a retreat.. a little peace, a lot of work, a little wine, great views, and lots and lots of hospitality from our hosts Vivian and Steve... I heartily recommend it!

Room Tip: Love the pool view on the upper level!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MKMVR
San Juan Islands
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We took a long week weekend and made a vacation out of our stay at Alta Crystal Resort. After a long drive, it was great to get our kids into the outdoor heated pool. I couldn't believe how nice it was for May in the Pacific Northwest. The heated, large and clean pool provided hours of entertainment for our girls, and the hot tub (tucked in a private corner) was a great place to relax under the evergreens.
We had a loft suite which was perfect for our family - giving our daughters room to spread out in the loft. The kitchen is stocked with everything you need for cooking; it was nice to pack our cooler for our trip and be able to eat in and pack lunches for the day. I just love staying at places like this with a kitchen - it cuts down on costs. One night, we even used the BBQ out in the common area below our unit and made burgers. It was a fun cook out. The s'more/campfire that this resort puts on is really great. The kids really enjoy it, it is nice to see where other guests are from and it really completes the luxury campout feel of staying in the woods but being really comfortable.
There is so much to do at this resort -- the trail RIGHT behind the place are awesome. I have a 2, 5 and 7 year old and they each hiked for an hour over bridges and beside the beautiful river. There are a lot of games, too, and my kids enjoyed ping pong and wiffel ball. There's a game lodge with a deck by the river that was a lot of fun. We played board games and puzzles for ever. It was really relaxing.
We were close enough to drive up Cayuse Pass and sled, drive through the tunnel and play in glacial snow. It was amazing to stay six miles from the ski area. Crystal has a really long spring skiing season and it was amazing up there. Lots of trails open and varied terrain -- easy runs for our girls and steep, lovely runs for us. We ski Mt Baker all the time and it doesn't have anything on Crystal.
The resort has a store in case you forgot food or other items, and it even has a DVD check out to make it really feel like a relaxing night away.
I love that our family can pair an amazing outdoor ski/hike weekend away and still stay in the woods and close to the mountain.
The staff is super friendly, answering any question we had during our stay -- promptly sending my pillow and slippers left behind when I returned home.
Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Having a loft is nice if you have a larger family (more than one child) because it's great to sp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank babybythesea
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed March 28, 2012

First of all, I was "forced" into this reservation, as apparently I made an error when booking this room and they would NOT let me out of the reservation - they have a very strict "no cancellation" policy and there is no way around it, no way, no matter what. So, instead of losing my money, I decided to honor the reservation. I guess I should be grateful that they at least changed the date (one day earlier) for me....

I was quite disappointed when checking into my room. For the very high nightly rate, I expected a bit more than "early attic" furnishings. It wasn't even "lodge-y" - our room was certainly not the pretty, brick wall fireplace room that was prominently featured on their website. Also, the bedroom was so small that I could barely lay out my suitcase to unpack it.

The wood burning stove was absolutely horrible, even though we followed all the "little hints" to get it going. All it would do was smoke up the room terribly and the wood would just not burn. I have one in my own home and know how to work one, so this was not user error.

Since we had no cozy fire, we decided to go out to the hot tub to relax. Well, it was so hot that we could not even get into it. I also have my own hot tub that my husband keeps at 105 degrees, and it was way hotter than that, which is extremely dangerous.

To top off this wonderful trip, I left my wedding ring behind in the room. I am absolutely sure of this. I contacted them right away and the ring has not been found. Hmmm......

So, words of advice if you choose to stay here: 1. Make sure you do not need to change or cancel your reservation, 2. Be sure you are OK with "grandma-style" furnishings, 3. Do not look forward to the cozy fireplace or the relaxing hot-tub, 4. By all means, do not forget anything behind, as it will most certainly disappear.

Also, the overly-friendly staff will have an excuse, apology or explanation for anything that ever goes wrong here (read the responses to the "less than wonderful" reviews here) - it does not change the fact that something most likely will go wrong!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank sj928
cadematoWashington, Owner at Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
We are sorry that this guest was not happy with their stay. We hope you will read our other positive reviews and judge for yourself.

We feel the need to respond to her assertion/accusation about her ring. When she called and said she thought she might have left a ring in the room, we immediately checked the room and did not find anything. We let her know, but she contacted us again so we had the housekeepers move everything in the room and check all the nooks and crannies but still no ring. We do our absolute best to return guest belongings and ship a huge number of things back to guests. We also are lucky that we have had the same housekeepers here for 8+ years and they are scupulously honest. So it's hard for us to read a review that accuses us of something like this.

Also, we keep our hot tub between 102 and 104, and religiously check its temperature twice a day. We've also had many, many guests stay in her room and love its decor, without experiening any problems with the wood stove fireplace.

Finally, the guest made an online reservation --- and there's no way that a reservation can be made without going through several screens -- cancellation/deposit policy, review of date/room, check box to agree to terms and conditions -- and finally checking another button to submit the reservation. She at first told us that she had simply tried to check availability and our system had made a reservation that she didn't want, but this is simply not possible. When we talked with her on the phone, we thought she was happy with the new date she had chosen, but evidently this was not the case.

Last year, we rented over 4500 rooms so we know we can't please everyone. We always hate to read that someone was disappointed, but we'll keep trying our best to give everyone a fantastic vacation experience.

Vivian Cadematori
Co-Owner

Been to Alta Crystal Resort at Mount Rainier? Share your experiences!