Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Kima(Ocho Rios)
View Hotel
Seacrest Beach Resort(St. Ann's Bay)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
View Hotel
Rooms Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Sands(Ocho Rios)
6,069 results
All reviewsdiamond roompier dinnerblue holejade samuraicoral cafemountain viewentertainment staffpizza ovenocho riosjerk chickenwrapspizza placethe grillitalian restaurantpiano barnature walkour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Okay, so here is an intense review of our four-night stay (2/2-2/6)

The Jamaican Tours Ltd bus trip was exactly two hours. They make a stop at a place with food (not very good) and bathrooms. They likely get some kickback for this service. The rest of the trip along the coastline was beautiful. The bus driver did his best to point out points of interest, but my advice is to take a good book and read the whole time. The two hours went very quickly that way.

Upon arriving at the beautiful lobby at 3 pm, we got the cool washcloth and drink of the day. Check in was very simple and we got an upgraded room from mountain to beach view without asking. Very nice, and probably due to low occupancy. This was the week of the massive snowstorm across the US and probably prevented a few people from making it down. Their loss was our gain.

A helpful bellhop escorted us to the room and he showed us around. The room is very adequate. It is not very large, but the four post mahogany bed was beautiful and VERY comfortable. The room was very clean, no sand on the floor, and well appointed. The bathroom had a soaking Jacuzzi, which was lovely. Overall, the room met or exceeded expectations. I especially liked the balcony, which had a table with two chairs. It was nice to return at the end of the day and sit out there after showering and just relax and read.

Next, the pool. It was very clean, plenty of chairs, and the waterfall is spectacular. The swim up bar was very easy to get to, no waiting, just perfect. I’m not a drinker, but I did have the drink of the day a few times. I don’t think they use top-notch liquor because I didn’t get the slightest buzz. I’m an alcohol lightweight, so this tells me they either watered it down, or just don’t use that much. That’s fine for me but for real drinkers this could be an issue. BTW: Plenty of towels for everybody. I even took two every day and never found a shortage.

I’ve read a LOT about bees, but that was not a problem. They have trimmed the bushes back, and there were no bees near the chairs. The only place I found bees was at the bars, because the sweet drinks attract them. The hives are in the hills and the bees find their way down to the bar areas. Even sitting there, however, they didn’t bother me, and were so fat and slow, it was easy to kill them if they were too close. Of course, here in Pennsylvania, if I have an open can of soda, that attracts bees, too, so why would Jamaica be different? Let’s face it: bees like sweets as much as we do. But to complain about this is to complain about the nature that serves to make this a tourist spot. So, no worries in my opinion, about the bees. Just walk away from the bar and have the wait staff bring drinks to you if you’re that concerned.

Next, the food. Let’s face it, this is not a five star resort. If you want that, don’t go. But the food was excellent. They have a la carte restaurants for dinner, so no massive buffets (although they may have one I missed). The Platinum was the nicest dining room (also serves a la carte breakfast, a real secret for some reason), with the best food. Dress is casual, but don’t wear shorts and wife beater T’s because it’s classless. I wore khakis and a button down shirt and was very comfortable. Everything has A/C so you’re not going to sweat to death.

The Japanese hibachi has been bashed here often, and I don’t see that as fair. I’ve had hibachi in Boston, San Fran, NYC, and points in between. This place stood up to the best of them. Our chef, “Blacky” Chan, was very funny and did a nice job. The food was very fresh and prepared nicely. Not too salty which was good. The reason this restaurant requires reservations (the only one that did) was because they need to put together parties of 10 for efficiency. We ate at 7:30 which was fine by us. After dinner, they moved us out to another section for desert so they could ready the grill for the next dinner party of 10. It was a very good meal and people who complain about the food either had a bad chef or are excessively picky.

The dinner on the pier was moved inside due to inclement weather. They moved it to Bling, their indoor nightclub. They were amazingly efficient getting everybody served, and once again the food was excellent. The live music was nice and not too loud, so I would have to give that dinner an “A”.

As for daily or evening activities, that is not their strong suit. They don’t have that much going on, which was fine because I like to read. They don’t have beach aerobics, jazzercise, or any of those things. They did have daily volleyball, and also some entertainment on the pool deck. They ran some fun competitions, but if you’re looking for someone to entertain YOU instead of making it fun for yourself, you might be disappointed. They do little to nothing at night, and there’s no casino. You can swim at night if you like. So, it’s back to the room for TV and reading then sleep. Nightlife is NOT a highpoint at the Jewel.

They had a bonfire one night on the beach where you could roast marshmallows, which was very nice. They had a tough time getting the first started, which I found to be odd.

The Court Jester pizza place was FABULOUS. The pizza is outstanding, and available I think from 11 am until 6 pm. They also have a poolside outdoor restaurant serving jerk pork and chicken, burgers, fajitas, etc, which was excellent. I really can’t say enough about the food.

The “Cut” fitness center was unique in that it’s in a shack without walls. It had a few pieces of equipment, some of which was out of order. This is NOT an elaborate fitness center by any means, but just enough to keep you satisfied. The scenery is top notch, however.

The spa, while quite small, was very adequate. The prices were very reasonable. A couple’s massage was $110/person (plus tip), quite a deal if you’ve ever been at a resort where they charge $280 and up for that same service. Evelyn did my deep tissue massage and had quite strong hands. I really felt it was the best deal for the money of any resort spa I’ve been to.

Now, the beach. I’ve read a lot of people having issues with the beach, and I can see their point. It is quite small (postage stamp), which rules out long walks. Of course, you can walk end to end repeatedly if you want a long walk. But if you do, you’ll notice two things. First, the BARBED WIRE FENCE at one end to keep grifters off the property. I think this is way overboard. Plus, the barbed wire is on our side, not theirs. That makes no sense. This could easily be corrected with a more conventional and attractive fence. Plus, anybody can walk around it and get onto the property. It made no sense from a practical or aesthetic standpoint that I could see, and I’m a pretty logical guy. It really was ugly.

At the other end, there is a pier (where they have their Friday night outdoor dinners). The problem? The waves on this beach tend to wash all detritus toward the pier. This means all the trash that makes its way into the water (plastic, paper, etc) gets washed down to this side. The first time I walked to the end, I counted no fewer than 30 plastic bottles and cups just sitting on the beach next to the pier. The next day, the same exact bottles were there. With all the staff, they should have somebody every day clean this stuff up. It would take less than 15 minutes and make a world of difference. Whereas the rest of the property was well kept, this was a most glaring exception. It got to the point that I just didn’t walk to this end of the already small beach.

The middle part of the beach, where the chairs are stationed, was very nice. It was clean, adequate width, and the chairs were very comfortable. The sea was clean and lovely. So, the take home point is stay where the chairs are, don’t walk too much, and you’ll be happy. But if it’s miles of endless beach you’re hankering for, do NOT go to the Jewel. It’s just not that type of place.

As for being harassed by vendors, I was not approached once while sitting there. They’re kept out and are on the other side of the barbed wire fence mentioned above. Really, not a problem.

One final downer was the distance from the airport. When you arrive in Jamaica, the two-hour trip isn’t bad because you’re ON VACATION!!! But, when you’re leaving, it is cumbersome. Our flight was at 4:05, yet we were picked up at 11 am, leaving five (5) hours (!) for the return trip, customs, etc. That meant the last day was entirely devoted to our trip home. Since we arrived back at Baltimore at 7 am, that meant an 8-hour trip for what turned out to be a three-hour flight. That was a dose of reality. (Yes, I knew in advance the distance, but five hours ahead of take off? Really?)

We booked through cheapcaribbean.com and paid $2000 for four nights and five days. This was an excellent price and very well worth the price of admission.

So, that’s my summary. Overall, a great vacation for couples. There are NO children allowed (18 years and up) and very little noise to disturb you. Since this is a more mature crowd, you don’t get the 20-somethings getting drunk off their butts and screaming, a welcome departure from past vacations (I’m in my 40’s). I really thought the staff went overboard to make our stay as peaceful and friendly as possible, and all my needs were met. I think other than the beach issues, this is a keeper and I would gladly return at this price for another vacation. You really can’t go wrong at the Jewel. Just bring some good books, sun tan lotion, and relax. Everything else will take care of itself. “Yeah, man”, no problems with the Jewel Resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoachrobMD
Carol B, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

i had a great time at Jewels in december 2010...the staff was super excellent in response and the service and food second to none...the GM, Hotel mngr Scott, dwayne and kristen made sure that it was a very memorable visit

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
JOHN M, Hotel Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Good day,

Due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

John M.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Our first trip to Jamaica and so happy that we stayed at the Jewel, the staff are wonderful people willing to help out and entertain all day long and always with a smile. The food was delicious, not strange food which usually you get when going to another country, they had Italian, Japanese, Pizza, fries, burgers and their famous jerk chicken and pork. I would definately recommend this hotel and plan to visit again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Good day,

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

John M.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

This review is coming a little late, but we had such a great experience I felt I had to share! My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon after much consideration of other all-inclusives in Jamaica. We were won over on this one because of the positive reviews and low introductory rates, and thankfully it was absolutely everything we hoped it would be.
DON'T let the bus ride to the resort freak you out! We were beginning to get worried because we were seeing other hotels along the way that looked run-down, but the resort grounds are beautifully maintained and do not look anything like the surrounding environment.
We stayed in a Diamond patio room (the first-floor rooms were cheaper but we still had an excellent ocean view). Room, although a bit humid, was kept meticulously clean by housekeeping during our stay, and nightly turndown service was an unexpected bonus! Fridge was restocked daily with juice, soda, and water.
We were pleasantly surprised by the variety of food at the different restaurants. I'm vegetarian, and the staff was more than happy to accomodate my needs. Moonstone was our favorite dining option, and the outdoor pizza grill was a close second!
The Jewel's greatest asset by far is the staff. They would absolutely bend over backward for us and bring us anything we wanted throughout the day.
There were not many guests at the resort during our stay, as it had recently opened. Other than the occasional volleyball game or poolside entertainment, it was pretty peaceful, which we enjoyed. We considered getting a massage at the resort spa, but found it to be very over-priced.
We are newly-certified scuba divers, so we took advantage of the on-site scuba shop and dive boat. It was such a pleasure to dive with Afro, the divemaster! We were the only two guest divers on the boat each time. It was very much like having our own personal instructor, and we appreciated his laid-back, "we're in no hurry" attitude. Unfortunately scuba is not part of the all-inclusive package; you must pay extra for this.
I don't think we could have asked for a better honeymoon - we'll certainly be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leanne_richelle

Reviewed February 7, 2011

I'm actually still here, although I wish I wasn't.

The staff is unfriendly. When we first arrived, we were given a 'tour' of the 'six different restaurants'. Every one of them was closed and we ended up eating french fries after traveling for an entire day. We then asked about various features of the hotel, and nobody at the front desk could help without calling in someone else for a "tour". There was no printed decription of anything in the hotel, be it room service or travel accomodations or restaurant choices. At the pizza grille, nobody knows if it's table service or serve yourself. If you ask, you get an attitude. It is almost impossible to tell whether you are coming or going on the beach with regard to drink service.

The front desk was unable to make change TWICE, one time shorting me money! If you are going to accept foreign currency then have enough to make change. If you CANT make the change, short yourself .50, not the guest.

On to the food. There is really not enough to say about this. The food at the Italian restaurant was laughable. On one occasion, my girlfriend was served fish that was supposed to be Mahi Mahi at dinner, but at lunch the same fish was called something else. Like many other reviewers, I would have to agree that the best thing about the food here is the pizza.

Note to management:

(1) I don't care what the other reviewers have said in the past, I am sharing my experience with your establishment.
(2) If you want to stop operating at a loss, show some presence of authority. In other words, have management personnel on site so that if a guest has a problem, it can be properly addressed.
(3) Have some definitive signage, so that people know how to use the amenities at the resort.
(4) Get somebody with some restaurant experience to run the front of the house at each of the restaurants.
(5) Differentiate between "lifeguards" and "drink servers".
(6) Don't allow maintenance workers to serve drinks to your guests and solicit tips.

I will not be returning to this hotel, and while my sister and her husband were considering the Jewel for their upcoming trip, I will strongly recommend that she not.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kps1052
jeweldunns, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your vacation at the Jewel Dunn’s River Beach Resort and Spa. Your comments and opinions are very important to us and we make an effort to respond to most reviews on TripAdvisor. As the Hotel Manager I speak to at least 100 guests a day and am always available. During our manager’s cocktail receptions on Fridays we introduce all department managers to at least 250 to 300 guests at once giving them the opportunity to voice any concerns that they may have.

We have hotel orientations twice a day in which you can learn everything about the property. We have a printed activity sheet that is at the front desk and goes to the rooms on a daily basis. We have a large white board by the Activity office that has all the activities on it for the next three days.

There is always at least one restaurant opened at all times. Aquamarina Grill is opened all day and overnight. Our pool concierges pass fruit, cold towels and other items throughout the day, they will also assist the guests getting drinks. Because our staff never says no the lifeguards will assist you in getting a cocktail if asked. .

We are working on getting a license for our Front desk to act as a bureau de change. There is also an ATM machine on property that dispenses US$.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your opinions and feedback.

Regards,