“Lots of potential but trying too hard to be fashionable. Fashion over flavour.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Commons

The Commons
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand, International
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
skipton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went to The Commons recently to celebrate my boyfriend, Dave’s, birthday. We have wanted to visit The Commons since it opened and often consider it as we live in Takapuna and thought it was time we sampled it.

Unfortunately we were really disappointed.

On arrival we weren’t greeted at the door and had to wait awkwardly at the bar whilst the staff chatted about their weekend. Eventually my partner had to butt in and tell them we have a reservation. We were lead up to the restaurant which was stunning and beautifully lit with plenty of candles.

We decided we were going to go all out and order 3 courses. When the starters arrived they were pretty small but beautiful. Unfortunately there was no flavour. Dave ordered venison loin – which was teeny cubes of raw venison with a vanilla ice cream quenelle. There was very little flavour at all. I ordered salmon which was actually pretty tasty.

For main course Dave ordered poached snapper with Prawns and Scallops. When it arrived the fish was totally over cooked and the prawns / scallops were mushed into a paste and encased in won ton type pasta. Not good at all. We asked to replace the dish which the manager dealt with very professionally. My main course was beef and mushrooms which was ok – very beautiful but salty. Dave’s replacement main was the Duck which was intensely sweet.

Desserts again were a bit of a let-down. I ordered the Pina-Colada and Dave ordered the beetroot cheesecake. Unfortunately my dessert was mainly a cloud of foam and very little flavour. Dave’s dessert was actually pretty nice.

All in all we were disappointed with the food having waited to sample it for a long time. We are always willing to try new things and will spend cash to do so – but on this occasion we found the food beautifully presented but underwhelming and a little too pretentious.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not-so-common quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've visited The Commons on Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, a couple of times and been highly impressed with both the quality of the food and the service that surrounds it. Whilst not cheap, The Commons does provide value for money in that the food is simply excellent: innovative and well-prepared, it makes for a great evening out with friends. The 'puddings' are definitely worth leaving a bit of room for!
The wine, though, can be a bit scary price-wise, so beware...
Well worth the time to make a booking and get in, as it's always been very busy.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“A taste experience not to be missed. Designer food - taste, texture, and beautiful to look at.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I went there for our wedding anniversary. It's not cheap but at the end of the night we felt it was value for money, so it must have been fantastic! Two courses entree and main were sufficient to fill us, but we just couldn't day no yo their designer desserts, so I rolled out the door at the end of the night. The good is 5 star and the service was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful without the 5 star snobbery. We are returning for my birthday with friends in a few weeks time. I recommend this place to all my friends who want a special dining experience.

• Visited November 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We went along for our second visit to The Commons having bought a GrabOne voucher which entitled us to three dishes off the bar/tapas menu and two drinks. We took our nine year old along with us and bought a couple of extra dishes. All the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. It was a rainy night but this didn't stop several hardy souls from eating outside under the umbrellas, the indoor downstairs bar/tapas dining area was full and the upstairs bar and dining area were also very busy. The service was excellent, really welcoming, friendly and attentive. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited April 2013
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Very Clever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the decor. The menu was difficult to read and we needed the waitress to interpret, which she happily did with a good knowledge of the food and the process used to cook it. The food was presented with flare and excitement. It definitely had the Wow factor. The food had many many different tastes combined cleverly in each dish. The entree and mains were faultless. My dessert looked amazing in a mini pumpkin, however I was disappointed in the mix of cold moose/cream/sauce inside which did have an interesting ginger taste but did not compare with the first 2 courses. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. It was an interesting adventure with food but it was expensive.

• Visited April 2013