“Over priced and horrid service”
Review of Star Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clearwater
Star Lake Resort
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We planned a family vacation on the May long weekend. All three of my adult children and my husband and I rented a cabin each. The cabins were extremely small and rustic for $145 a night. The resort dog cornered my leashed dogs on the stairs blocking their way and growling. My dogs are pugs for god sake! One of the fridges was warm so the owner came and turned it up. The next day everyone in the cabin had headaches and were sick to their stomachs. The owners admitted that carbon had backed up into the cabin as it had previously! I'm just relieved these were adult children and not my grandchildren in the cabin. The owners never once apologized, but made many comments that they must have the flu. Funny that after a few hours in the open air their flue vanished. There were large signs posted that said quiet time was between 11pm and 9am, however the owners grandchildren played outside my cabin window beginning at 7:30am. My daughter in-law was walking her pug on leash when the much bigger resort dog came charging out and attached her around the throat and head. She was bleeding from the ear. Not one word was mentioned of offer to discount for making everyone sick. It was an expensive disaster for all of us.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LorraineBC
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Yes, some members of this family did not have a pleasant stay at Star Lake. We did have trouble with one of the fridges in one of the cabins. It occurred after the occupants complained that their fridge was not getting cold enough. We told the occupants that it might take some time to cool the food they placed in it. Yet we turned the fridge to its coldest setting. We advised them that they should turn it down after a short while especially if they smelled a pungent odour. They did not. In addition, they accidentally left the freezer door open a crack which exacerbated the problem. The following morning when we were advised of the problem we immediately began to take action to rectify it, which we did. It took about a half hour. They had no further problem with the fridge.
One of the two couples staying in the cabin felt ill. We asked if they had noticed the odour before retiring for the night. He said yes but thought it might be cigar smell as one of their group had been smoking them. We do not allow smoking in our cabins. Joan had told them if they noticed a smell they should come and get us immediately. He said as it was midnight when he noticed it and he did not wish to bother us. I told him if it happened again he should get us immediately. I did suggest it might be the flu as the woman said she felt feverish and a fever is not associated with CO distress. Joan went over to talk to her after looking up the symptoms. She felt the young woman might indeed have suffered from CO. The young woman stayed in the fresh air as recommended and reported later that she felt fine. We are sorry this occurred and did give the affected couple a discount on their stay.
The dog issue occurred when one of the group approached the office to plug in her cell phone. The pug accompanying her was on leash. We had told this family when they arrived that our experience had been dogs on leashes feel vulnerable and are most likely to get aggressive and that our dog would be protective of the children and she should be careful with her dogs. I don’t know what happened but there was a scuffle and she retreated to the cabin with her dog. I immediately went to her and asked if the dog was okay. She said it had a little blood on its ear but was fine. She gave me her cell phones and I took care of them.
I feel the most significant reason this family had a disappointing time at Star Lake was the weather. It was the May long weekend and they arrived Friday afternoon. It began to rain about two hours later and except for short periods without rain continued throughout the weekend. Star Lake is not an expensive place to stay and as one can see from other comments that most people are very satisfied with our beautiful camp and service. We would have been disappointed as well.
The person who provided this review was not involved in any of these incidents and did not discuss them with us during their stay.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed in a cabin in summer of 2012. Looking at photos prompted me to look at the website.
The cabins were simple but clean and it was perfeclly possible to cook up a fine meal with local produce. The lake, with its water lillies and birds was a delight especially from a boat in the early evening.
Above all, the place was peaceful with only gentle folk unamplified folk music. even our teenage daughter managed to enjoy the low tech stay. The owners could not have been more helpfull.
We will come back some day, buit ther is an ocean and a continent to cross!
Note review refers to 2012 not 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We appreciate you took the time to write this review especially since it was so long ago that you stayed with us. Glad the photos brought back fond memories of Star Lake Resort. Hope to see you & your family again someday.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our second trip to Star Lake.....and we will be back in 2014....Joan & Jerry are the most hospitable owners and go out of there way to make our stay enjoyable. If you want to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the city or town you live in.....I highly recommend Star Lake. We stayed in Cabin #2.....both times....its so cozy and cute. The best thing about Star Lake is the quite....there is no noise...except the birds chirping and the loons singing. As far as fishing,there is an abundance of rainbow trout in the lake.....I must say the first year we were there I had to work my bellyboat and fly rod to the max....but this year II had a better idea of were to fish and match the hatch and finally figures out the depth. In a nutshell.....I highly recommend Star Lake for an enjoyable holiday.....Once again....Thank-you..Joan & Jerry...see you in 2014..:) :) :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thanks for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again in 2014. Just thought you might also be interested to know that the fish have increased in average size by one inch over the last four years.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We can only confirm what all the others here have said: It is an amazing place in a great location. We stayed in the RV camper which was very comfy, clean and well equipped.

We loved our stay there, and recommend it whole-heartedly. Either to just relax on the deck, go for a swim, take one of the boats/kayaks out, or explore nearby Wells Gray PP. Make sure to join when Jerry plays his guitar in the evenings.

We stayed for a couple of nights in August 2013, had such a great time, thanks so much for that, Joan and Jerry.

Room Tip: The camper was nice, choose one of the cabins for a bit more space.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

We love to share Star Lake with people from around the world. Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We decided to take a break from our long drive from Vancouver to Calgary by staying at the premium log cabin at Star Lake resort. We were very pleased with our chosen accommodation although it is a little basic. My boys absolutely loved the lake and spent hours swimming and messing about. We were able to hire a canoe and kayak boats for a bit of exploring. It was very peaceful and there was no electricity in the cabins but they did provide gas for the cooker, fridge and light. No problem there!!! It was nice not to have any mobile or WiFi connectivity and it was an excellent place to recharge our batteries. The only negative was the long drive along the dirt track road as I ended up with a puncture by driving a bit too fast the first time! I would recommend bringing a battery operated lantern for extra lighting in the evenings.

• Stayed: August 2013
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thanks for your kind review - glad you enjoyed your Canaadian wilderness experience at Star Lake Resort.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

weve stayed years before and came back for may long. another fantastic time.its so nice to have such great people running a family friendly place. Jerry and Joan welcomed my kids individually and allowed them to be kids. .they are patient and kind.
Jerry and his guitar in the evenings made everyone stop and listen..
caught a few fish over the weekend and hiked trails around area.
thanks for another great family memory.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank DAYNAAUSTIN
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Glad your family enjoyed your stay with us - we enjoyed having you! Hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Star Lake is a wonderful lakeside resort for rest and relaxation. This was my second time to Star Lake, I spent three nights, and I could have stayed even longer! I stayed in Cabin 4 which has a lovely lake front porch with a picnic table and campfire area. The quaint cabins are cozy and clean with nice little touches like candles for ambiance. While we were there we walked along the trails along the lake, did some fishing, but best of all some star gazing. The resort is quiet and peaceful and instantly helps you to unwind. Joan and Jerry are friendly and welcoming hosts. Star Lake is a great place to unwind and drink a few beers while looking out over the lake. It's definitely worth the trip, whether you are looking for a quiet couple's retreat or a family vacation.

On a side note, the resort is about 10km up a logging road and my little Yaris had no trouble making it's way there, so not to worry.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
StarLakeResort, Owner at Star Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

So glad you enjoyed your time at Star Lake.