“Enjoyable night out”

Gateway Grill
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Clearwater
Cuisines: European, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fun upbeat atmosphere with great food and service.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed in Clearwater Canada overnight and were directed to the Grill by the local hotel owners. What a surprise, great atmosphere, really friendly staff and the food was very good. We had a very pleasant evening mixing with the locals and it really was a interesting and enjoyable night.

We also had breakfast there the next morning and again the serves and food was tasty and well presented.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Location; in Jasper. A town with 1000 inhabitants. A town on the route to the provincial park, nothing more than 2 driving lanes...

You come to Jasper for the nature & the silence. Back to basics is here the word. Most of the restaurants here are fastfood resto's.

Resto theming; Retro theming - Elvis was playing on the background when we entered. 50's chairs & on the walls you see posters from old forgotten movies & places.

Food: A nice list of appetizers, pastas, burgers & big plates ( steak, chicken, lamb, veggie & fish). also they offer every day a special platter. We took the garlic bread as appetizer. Freshly, hot baked. Not the kind you find in pizza hut.

My wife took the daily ( steak 7oz with prawns, pan fries & veggies ) & I took the wild salmon. I can only say this; straight honest food. What you order is what you get. Everything fresh en perfectly cooked.

As dessert we took the sundae with maple syrup and walnuts. A nice portion and a perfect way to end our meal.

Service: fast & polite, no remarks here

price / quality; we had a bill of 70 cad including tip & taxes. Correct price.

General conclusion. This is 5 on 5 for me. Very good price/quality. Very honest food. Will come back here. If you stay in clearwater, be sure to check this place out. Best restaurant in the neighborhood. ( Again you are in clearwater, 100km from the nearest city, a village with 1000 inhabitants )

remark: only open from 5 - 9pm!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

There are definitely some mixed reviews on this place. Since I was staying at the hotel I thought I would go here out of convenience despite some bad reviews. The food was decent. It is not going to be like going to the Keg or Moxies, it is just a small kitchen in a small town hotel. The server was very nice, quick and attendant, so I enjoyed my visit.

1  Thank J M
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ate here while in Clearwater on the recommendation of the land lady at our Bed and Breakfast. I wish I'd done some research into other options and not gone with her advice. When we visited the restaurant was extremely busy and full of older clientele. It had the impression of an old people's home dining room. None the less we were warned of a 45 minute wait for food and as it was a dark, wet night we decided to sit it out. Again the place seemed popular with more people arriving and we were soon joined at our table by another couple. I was a bit taken back that they would sit another couple on the same table as us without really asking if we were ok with this.

The food eventually came and was the worst we had on our 17 nights in Canada. The pasta was wet and bland and clearly hadn't been drained properly resulting in a tasteless and wet sauce. The garlic bread was greasy and salty. I had a baked chicken dish and this was much the same, bland and somewhat tasteless. I know the kitchen must have been busy but this was no excuse for poor quality food. I'm not sure why this place has so many good reviews. A huge disappointment considering all our other meals had been so good. Wouldn't eat here again and am sure there are much better places to eat in the area.

Kalen j, Owner at Gateway Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I am very sorry that you where not happy with your food.
The reasone we do have so many good reviews is because I ( the owner)
am the one that cooks most of the time. However I can not work 7 days a week as I have a
young family at home. If I could only have two of me :)
The other chef does do things quit a bit differantly than I do.
Sorry what can I say, ina town of 3500 people good help is hard to find :(
I will work with the other chef now and see how he has been preparing the dishes and correct what went wronge.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We weren't sure about eating here as it seemed like such a small little old fashioned diner but we decided to take a chance and were happy we did! Our waitress was super personable and in chatting with her, we learned that this is a family run establishment, and that usually means a lot of pride goes into their work.

The menu had a great variety of things but we decided to stay on the safe side and go with two different pastas, the Seafood pasta for my husband and the Mediterranean pasta for me with a side order of more garlic toast.

Because I LOVE garlic I asked for extra in my dish and I received that plus extra to add in on the side if I wanted to, which I thought was very considerate! Charlie enjoyed his but I think I enjoyed mine even more, and when I could not finish it, they covered it in plastic wrap and let me take it back to my room as we stayed at the lodge that is attached to the Gateway Grill (also well worth the experience)

Charlie loves his dessert so he ordered up a piece of specialty chocolate cake (sorry I can't remember the name of it) and it was humongous! There is no way that that cake came from a box, it was beautiful and he really enjoyed devouring every morsel of it. (I snuck a taste and oh yeah, I know why he loved it!)

All in all, we had a great experience here, and checking out the decor from the 50's and 60's hidden all over the place was pretty amazing! We'll definitely be back to try another dish!