“Service to upsetting to enjoy the great food.”

Smitty's Oyster House
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Gibsons
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Believe it or not the food is tasty and the overall scenery and atmosphere is nice. I have been going sporadically for several years. But, the service is consistently in the "terrible" category. This not an exaggeration nor uncommon. The last time we came we waited for about 15 minutes even though there were seats all over including the long tables. At one point the waitress/hostess (wavy dirty blonde hair) began to walk towards me making eye contact. Just as I was about to say "Hi, table for 4" she turned and answered the phone instead which began to ring just as she approached. We stood there for about 5 minutes before the waiter came to me and said we are a little full right now and could we wait. The same waitress/hostess came up to me right after the waiter and came right up to my face and said "full" and walked away. I was shocked, and found it almost unbelievable. Literally, two minutes later, we were being seated at the long table which I and others avoid as much as we can, as there is no privacy and you are jammed in with other people. The waitress told us we could not sit side by side and that was the rules. Which we did as the other two people in our party had not arrived. In general the waiters/ waitresses have more interest in each other which can be seen when they either shouting across the restaurant to each other, ignoring paying customers, or their show of who is the meanest or the baddest (a common theme). Its kind of like a lot of young partying frat guys and one mean girl (wavy dirty blonde hair) serving you in a restaurant. Unfortunately, the staff are completely oblivious that this makes people quite uncomfortable.

Its obvious to anyone reading these reviews that service is a serious problem and over shadows any good food or times you are about to attempt to enjoy. I would love to eat here more often but the staff is unbearable. It is unfortunate that the owners have decided to ignore these reviews.

8  Thank Marten J

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I may say that in this restaurant was not the best meals I've ever had, but if you come for Oysters it is difficult to find the best. Always fresh and tasty. You wait for too long? It is because they open them in front of you if you are sitting in the bar and because everybody love them. Take a beer, a wine, talk with friends and enjoy waiting time because the paradise is coming.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Save your time and money. Wait staff more interested in socializing with each other and their friends masquerading as real customers. Attitude is shocking. Long wait times for expensive mediocre food. Nice view if you can tolerate the abusive arrogant staff.

9  Thank Iceman594
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Rented a boat from Horseshoe Bay. Pulled up right out the front of Smitty's and moored to their private dock. Very easy. Arrived at 12:30pm and took the last 2 seats at the bar - recommended for the view. The place filled up within 15mins! Good timing for us.

Ordered the mussels, fresh raw oysters & deep fried halibut pieces. The mussels were the best I've ever had. So fresh and delicious. Oysters & halibut were great too. Prices were as expected. Not cheap but not overpriced.

Servers were friendly.

Would definitely go back!

1  Thank Kerri_2210
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Overpriced alcohol. I had the salmon for mains and prawn cocktail starter. Woah! Freshest fish ever!

1  Thank siobhan b