“Business Trip Review”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Slave Lake
Toronto, Canada
“Business Trip Review”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

On past business trips to Slave Lake, I’ve always stayed at the Holiday Inn, however due to the last minute nature of this visit, the hotel was fully booked. After looking at the Tripadvisor reviews, I decided to try out the Lakeview Inn (over the Super 8). Booking online was easy and the cost was average. The hotel is the first one you come across when coming into the city, however it is a little way out from the main roads, so I would recommend having a vehicle if you stay here.

Upon check-in, I discovered that they had put me into a smoking room (they still have those?!?) although I had specifically selected ‘non-smoking’ when booking. The staff was quick to try and solve the problem, and moved me into another room without much fuss. The front desk clerk was very nice and pleasant, however as English was not her first language, there was a miscommunication when I asked for a restaurant recommendation in the area. I eventually just went and did a tripadvisor search to find what I was looking for.

Wifi worked well. There is no business center and the ‘guest computer’ was broken while I was there. The staff was very helpful in getting a document printed for me at no cost.

Room was nice, and was actually very large. I was put into a “Business Suite” so I had an entire office addition to the room. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was basic.

Overall, it’s a nice, basic hotel. Did not use the gym or hot tub.

Room Tip: Business Suite was large
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here May 2012 for work for 3 nights. It was a wonderful stay, great staff, spacious clean room, lots of hot water, decent internet (LAN, didnt try wifi).
Checked-in in the evening, unfortunately they overbooked the normal rooms, and one of us had to play musical rooms. I had a two queens room. Comfortable enough bed, very nice clean bathroom. The hotel was rather new, rebuilt after the fires.
The hotel had free popcorn bags, cookies and soup(in the evenings), it was a real treat to get a fast quick tasty and free meal. The hotel is on the "far edge" of town, but still no more than 5 minutes to restaurants.

The breakfast is good, sausages, eggs, bread, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice, milk, etc. The eating area is kind of small, but we never had to wait for a table around 7:30am.

I'd recommend the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank brittanyncomet
Emily B, General Manager at Lakeview Inns & Suites - Slave Lake, responded to this review, June 17, 2015
Thank you so much for your kind words and the amazing rating! My staff and I work hard to give each guest an amazing and memorable stay. Cheers!
Alberta
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Room was nice, staff friendly and helpful. Internet service was good. Nice plus is the fact that the room where brekfast and evening soup is served is actually open all the time - so you can get fruit, juice, cereal whenever you'd like. I was disappointed by the limited hot tub hours, though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FreddySmith
Leduc, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband & I stayed here in 2010 during the Sawfest Music Festival in Slave Lake a special rate for music festival. Free breakfast with fresh cooked eggs & bacon, wonderful waffles, just about anything you could think of in a great dinning area.Soup & fresh rolls for lunch & Wed. night is pizza night. Left overs are quickly wrapped then put in fridge for hungry guests. Free internet, free movies with micro-wave popcorn, a fresh fruit bowl & candy bowl. The best workers in a clean hotel. The only bad thing was the hot-tub was out of order, but we had the honeymoon suite with our own big tub in our room. Comfy beds too. The hotel survived the Slave Lake fires in 2011.

Room Tip: I chose the top floor, I like the views & elevators. If you are not happy with your room then sw...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This hotel is not like it seems in the pictures badly maintained, hot tub not working, gym equipment not working peoperly.
Told the day manager about the issues and basically sorry about your luck next time I will stay at saw ridge inn.

• Stayed February 2012
Edmonton
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I called the night before to make my reservation for a 2 night stay, the hotel operator said the hotel was full , however I was able to get a non-smoking room for the 1st night and a smoking room for the second night, at the government rate of $119.00, also since it was two separate rooms it required two separate reservations. I gave the hotel operator my credit card and received confirmation for my reservations. I work for the government and travel frequently, however this was my first time staying here as it was recommended by my co-workers. I arrived the next day to check in and was asked for my credit card, I then said I would be staying 2 nights and asked if possible that I could stay in my same room. The clerk said I would have to check back in the morning to see if a room was available, however I would probably have to change rooms. The clerk swiped my credit card and it was declined. I asked how much she was swiping it for, and she said $350.00, I said $350.00 for both nights and she said no, it was for only one night. I said that I had been travelling quite a bit and had used up almost all my credit on my credit card, however, I had cash and offered to give her cash. She refused and said, we only take credit cards. I said I know my card will allow a $200.00 swipe and then I could give the rest in cash. She absolutely refused. I said, please I need a place to stay, I work for the government, this has never happend before, I don't understand why you require $350.00 from my credit card, at most places they charge you the daily rate with taxes which would have been no problem. She said it was policy. I was embarrassed with how loud her voice was where everybody could hear - people were in the lobby another fellow was hanging at the desk listening, it was totally enbarrassing. I beg her to take the cash, she refused and then said she would call her managers on their cell. She spoke loudly into the phone, telling them my credit card was declined, however I was offering to pay cash, or pay cash and do partial on my credit card. After begging for a room and for them to take my cash, and after the hotel clerks 15 - 20 minute call with the managers, they decided to take $150.00 cash, as well as swipe my credit card for $200.00. I was then given a room key. I asked about my reservation for the next day, and she simply said, they've cancelled it since I didn't have enough credit on my credit card. Again, I said I have cash, that wasn't good enough, my room for the next day was promptly cancelled. When she gave me the key, she said that there was a continental breakfast available in the morning, first come first serve. The next morning when I went down, the room was full of people, it appeared management was having a meeting with staff (as the people in room looked like employees) and they used all up all the chairs and tables, so with no place to sit, I left.

Room Tip: Stay at Holiday Inn express, always good service and they charge only room rate, nothing more.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tpascal
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Nice hotel, with good breakfast, always snacks at the front desk. Beds are mediocure, tv's are cheap for a newer hotel, and there is really nothing around the hotel for food or services

• Stayed September 2011