“An out-of-this-world experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tom's B&B
Coquitlam, Canada
“An out-of-this-world experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

All the rave reviews before this one were written in German. Great recommendations they may be, but it really does not do justice to the couple who own this gem. I only stayed there for one night just by myself, but I would rate that as one of the best stays I ever had outside of home anywhere. Here are ten reasons:

1. Tom did not exactly greet me with open arms. Once he got to know me--someone who has studied in Heidelberg which is not far from Saarbruecken where the couple had lived--he warmed up in minutes. Like he said, "it's a small world". He made me feel right at home in no time.

2. The first thing I did after putting my luggage in the room was to go out for my usual 10k run. Back Alley Road, where their B & B is located, is not long enough for my run. Tom patiently informed me that there were sheep dogs further up the road; and after I told him that dogs would disrupt my peace, he suggested a route that would allow me to take in the best of 100 Mile House scenery along the way. It was a surreal run.

3. When I returned, Tom gave me a rundown of the decent restaurants in the area. He offered to make me a reservation by phone in the one he highly recommended at the time that I chose. This happened to be a Monday. When I was getting ready to drive there, he kind of apologetically said that he had forgotten that the restaurant was closed on Mondays. Nevertheless, his gracious effort was appreciated.

4. That mid-autumn night, in the midst of the quiet woods, with window half opened and my bedroom door unlocked, I had one of the most peaceful sleeps in years. Never had I spent the night away from home without locking my door. That is a testimony of the total inner peace that I experienced in this home-like environment.

5. In the morning, the couple had the breakfast table all set up when I came down at exactly 8:00, demonstrating my sense of German precision. I was given VVIP treatment. Yes, VVIP as the couple revealed that normally they did not have breakfast with their guests at the same table. I felt very honored.

6. The breakfast was German and European hospitality at their finest. They blended a special tea for me made with two kinds of berries. It had a natural as well as a distinctly cultural flavor. The poached egg was served in a cup, very chic and continental. There was an array of breads and cold cuts, enough to feed a family of four.

7. For those who want to keep in touch with the mundane world, the house offers free Wi-Fi. This modern-day convenience actually seems out of place for me, but it does not disrupt the pristine harmony of the place.

8. Tom is a fantastic personality. He is full of jokes and funny anecdotes. I felt like I was in a German comedy show during the hour we had breakfast together.

9. The wife is as charming as the husband is charismatic. We greeted each other with a hug, something that I would do with Mexican ladies all the time when I was living in D.F., even now. Neither Tom and his wife is Mexican, though. She even outdid Tom as an entertainer when she brandished her bandaged middle finger in good, clean humor.

10. I might not have felt so at home if I did not speak any German, but there are really no barriers here, language or otherwise. The couple have been transplanted in B.C. long enough that anyone who speaks only English would still enjoy world-class hospitality in their out-of-this-world place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

#16 of 47 in Cariboo
Super 8 100 Mile House
Super 8 100 Mile House
#1 of 6 in 100 Mile House

Been to Tom's B&B? Share your experiences!