“Amazing Food!”

Good for: Families with children, Kids
Alliston, Canada
“Amazing Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

My fiance, brother and I went to Indian Flames last night for dinner. We were so impressed! We are huge fans of Indian food and always had to make a trip every month to the city. Not anymore. We highly recommend this place! It is the best Indian Restaurant we have been to! Phenomenal Food and Service! We are going back there tonight.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Teresa K

Alliston, Canada
“Bland Bland Bland.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I ordered vegetable samosas, paneer pakora, butter chicken and palak paneer. $30 for it all. Included rice (honestly the best part of the meal) and what should have been naan but was instead undercooked roti. Samosas were okay, flakey and crunchy, great flavour. Pakora were HUGE, should be small and crispy, had an overwhelming onion texture. Butter chicken and palak paneer were so incredibly bland I actually threw it on the stove and added salt, pepper, garlic, onion, coriander and cumin to it. I would say the worst part was that the paneer was CLEARLY store bought. Tiny little hard chunks of cheese, and it should be soft and moist. I will never go back. It's places like this that make people dislike "ethnic food" because it is just done so SO horribly.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Lindsay L
toronto
“Soooo good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

First visit to Indian Flame was March 7, and I thought it was fantastic. I have eaten Indian food all over the Southern Ontario area, and I have been to India, but I am not going to pretend that I am an Indian food expert. I had the veggie pakora's and they were the best that I have ever had, you could really tell that the ingredients were fresh. The samosas were large, and very much what I have had in other Indian restaurants. If you are used to the flakey pastry style samosas then you might not like these as much, but I loved them. The roti was awesome also, are for sure fresh, not store bought like the other reviewer had mentioned. They are thin, like a tortilla wrap, but thicker. I am not sure about the pita reference in other review, maybe they have changed them since they were there last. Entree we had the butter chicken and chickpeas, both were very good, with great flavour and heat. Over all, it was a great meal, with friendly staff, and inviting atmosphere.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank tripplanner44
Toronto
“Not Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We visited Indian Flames for lunch in February shortly after the restaurant opened with great expectations. Unfortunately there were several disappointments that need to be addressed in order to have repeat business.
We ordered the bihari beef rolls and vegetable samosas as appetizers. The beef rolls were excellent - tender, flavourful and nicely spiced. Unfortunately the samosas were much too large, doughy and heavy to the point of unpleasant. The chef really needs to use a lighter, flakier pastry.
For mains we selected chola masala and palak paneer. The chola masala was good but not extraordinary. The palak paneer was unlike any we have ever tasted; the cottage cheese (if it was in fact cottage cheese) was more like extra firm tofu in texture and taste. This dish simply did not work and was almost inedible.
Perhaps the most disappointing was the lack of authentic, baked-on-the-spot naan, roti, chapoti or other indian breads. The chef attempted to pass off store bought pitas as naan. When questioned the chef persisted in calling the pita a naan and said that he might consider offering other Indian breads only on special occaisions. Strange for a cuisine that uses naan, roti, chapati etc. on a daily basis. It was offensive that the chef thought we were so stupid that we could not distinguish a pita from a naan.
We left with the distinct feeling that the owner is catering to those that know little about Indian food except perhaps takeout or Indian style pub food that he could pass off as authentic.
The owner/chef really needs to visit Tara in Barrie to see what they are doing if he hopes to survive. Tara is more expensive but perhaps that is why Tara is so much better. Tara charges for
I feel sorry for the owner as he has invested much time and money but has totally failed to deliver an authentic, complete and quality Indian dining experience.

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank JohnfromAlliston
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Indian!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have eaten at a lot of Indian restaurants in Toronto and this was absolutely delicious. The food was Fresh and very impressive!

• Visited February 2014