“Good and affordable”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Amherst
Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Good and affordable”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Booked online for an overnight visit in 2012 and was pleasantly surprised - clean, spacious and reasonably priced. We chose a drive-up room so we could easily load/unload our car. The staff were efficient and courteous and the restaurant was good with friendly wait staff. Because of that visit we booked and stayed again on business in 2013. We found it much the same - clean, courteous, nothing fancy but easy on the wallet. Yes, it is a bit out-dated but everything was fully functional and as a short overnight stop it was perfect for us. We'd visit again.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage ask if one of the drive-up rooms is available - you can park right in fr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy T, General Manager at Amherst Wandlyn Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for your review! And thank you for staying with us at The Wandlyn Inn Amherst. We value your comments and appreciate feed-back from all of our guests. We are pleased to have just welcomed Red Seal Chef Nathan O'brien to our team and are pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our spacious restaurant.

The Wandlyn Inn is the only full service Hotel in Amherst and we are pleased to be able to accomodate bookings of nearly any size and requirement at the best prices in town.

Please be sure to stay with us again when travelling in our ares, let our front desk know that you are a returning guest and we'd be pleased to off you an upgrade to our premium section if a room is available.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Booked online for overnight stay based on price. Was genuinely and pleasantly surprised at our check in with upgrade to king suite. The clerk was very pleasant and friendly. Had supper at the restaurant, truly a hidden gem. The homemade meals were wonderfully tasty, nice cozy atmosphere and excellent service thanks to our server Janet. I travel for work, and as a result stay and dine in a lot of different places, and this experience was one of the best economically. I would definitely make the drive from Moncton to dine here again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Marcus P
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate hearing feed back from our guests.

Our new Chef (Red Seal Certified) joined our team this month and has re-designed our menu and banquet plans, I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal and we are pleased that we can offer free continental breakfast every day and a full cooked breakfast Thursday through Sundays.

Please be sure to stay again with us on your next trip through our area of Nova Scotia. The Wandlyn Inn is the only full service Hotel in Amherst and we are pleased to offer great rates every day.

Again - thank you for staying with us!

Safe Travels.
Tyne Valley, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. Both times, the rooms were very spacious and clean. Beds were comfortable with lots of pillows. We will definitely be coming back. See you next time we head to Amherst.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Wandlyn Inn Amherst! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your comments - we value everyone's feed back and strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and well taken care of.

The Wandlyn Inn is Amherst's only full service Hotel, we off a full service licensed restaurant, heated pool and hot tub, exercise room and several meeting rooms to serve our guests' needs.

Thank you for being a returning guest, we're pleased to offer the best rates in the area conveniently located right at exit 3 but off the highway far enough that you not kept awake by traffic noise.

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Safe Travels!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Reception not very welcoming. Hotel looked tired. No dining service after 6.30pm that evening and no room service (we were not told about this at time of check.in). Alternative restaurant recommended in Amherst was poor. Next morning staff were very slow to replenish the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grahame M

Travelers are raving about these Amherst hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Do not stay here! Camping is a far better choice than this bug-infested nightmare! The only reason we stayed at Wandlyn's is because everywhere else was booked due to a conference in Amherst. Having no other choice, we checked in with a very surly front desk attendant. We were highly overcharged at $79/night. Don't get me wrong...we spent anywhere from $59 to $149/night for lodging during our 15 day trip to Canada. It was not the price that was the problem but the sheer lack of value!
The room was dirty with hairs in the bathroom. Neither of us were able to take a shower due to the absolute dirtiness of the bathroom. Everything in the room looked shabby as though it had never been cleaned.
It smelled so strong of smoke that my throat and nose gave me problems the entire night. Had my breathing gotten worse I would have needed to go to the hospital! There was also a stale, moldy smell that was concerning for health reasons.
It was noisy in the halls. The AC/heating system was not working properly.
My opinion: the health department and the Amherst chamber of commerce should close this place down. It is a nightmare!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Becky G
Randy T, General Manager at Amherst Wandlyn Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
A disappointing review.... Had this guest expressed their dissatisfaction to us directly we would have been able to respond to their complaints while they were still with us. Our hotel was full on this date and the only rooms available were in the "value section" which is a handful of rooms in the smoking section which have not been upgraded (the rest of the hotel has been). Which is why our rates are rock bottom for that section - literally the lowest rates in a 100 km radius. It is unfortunate when a guest takes a smoking room when they know it is likely that the room will smell of smokers. As for cleanliness - our rooms are thoroughly cleaned everyday and then rechecked by a supervisor prior to use, again had this guest spoken to our front desk staff we would have been able to address their problems - it is unfortunate.

We were completely full for that weekend, I'm sorry that we were unable to meet the needs of this guest.
Amherst, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Wandlyn Inn in Amherst , N.S. turned out to be an ideal spot for a recent MK business retreat we held with about 30 women attending . We found the price to be very right , the pool to be relaxing and the general atmosphere to be down home country rustic . HOWEVER , we cannot say enough good things about the wonderful way the staff looked after us . What the hotel lacks in a bit of a modern make-over , is certainly made up for in not only in it's people and it's manager , but the food was beyond delicious . Best roast beef with all the trimmings , fish and chips Maritime style , and a breakfast bounty . We'll be back ! P.S. It's also right on the highway , Exit 3 ,near the N.S / N.B border for easy access . The conference room was great .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Judymarykay
Shubenacadie, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Wandlyn on business. I wanted a cheap hotel for the amount of time I was spending in it. I thought $80 plus tax was a great deal until I arrived. I arrived at 9pm and the first thing I noticed in my room was a spider on the 'crown moulding'. That got me looking for more. I found another spider on the heat register, a moth on the curtain, 2 large dandy long legs on the ceiling and 2 more really small spiders. Thankfully spiders don't scare me so I squished all the bugs and went to sleep. When I checked out the next morning, I mentioned about the spiders in my room and how disturbing it was. The lady replied 'oh, thanks for letting me know.'
2 days after my stay, I received an email from the manager who is new at the Wandlyn. He read my comment card. He gave me 50% off my next stay(no expiry), apologized and said "we will put in place a spray program or some other strategy to do a better job of keeping the critters outside where they belong." Fair enough, I'm cheap enough to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Comfort Inn - Amherst
Apothic Inn
Apothic Inn
#2 of 5 in Amherst
Sackville Bed and Breakfast

Been to Amherst Wandlyn Inn? Share your experiences!