“Lovely spot, but bit pricey.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Emerald Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lovely spot, but bit pricey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Location was good for Devonport although noisy (Saturday night).
The units were surrounded by greenery which was fantastic, as you could sit out in the bushes on your own veranda.
Microwave,oven, hob, crockery and cutlery provided etc.
Thought it was a bit pricey but not much choice in the area.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

This was a last-minute booking and we had no expectations, just looking for a bed for the night on our way through Auckland. We chose a room with a big spa bath and it was great - lovely comfortable bed, very clean and quiet (our room was tucked away from the road). The location is good, close to some nice places to eat, and a minute's walk from the beach and walkways. The only complaint I could possibly come up with was that we could hear staff talking loudly near the laundry in the morning, but when I walked past them later they were so friendly and all greeted me cheerily so I couldn't hold it against them!

Room Tip: Our room faced the beach away from road, so was very quiet
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed for 3 nts on each of 2 consecutive weekends for the Rugby World Cup Semis & Final. The place was full & there were many French people staying.

Our welcome from the receptionist was very warm & as we had previously requested a quiet room away from the road, were delighted with our room on the 1st floor overlooking the courtyard. The only noise we encountered was from the French. They were in the neighbouring house as well as next door to us. They had no conception of the time of day, at 4am I eventually opened our door & asked for quiet. It worked.

We had many conversations with Janice, to find her exceptionally helpful & find it difficult to understand the previous reviews.

The rooms are very comfortable, recently refurbished to a very high standard. We had a studio with basic self catering facilities, perfectly adequate to make hot drinks & breakfast. We will return as Takapuna is delightful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road as the road goes to the beach & can be busy, particularly at w...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hell, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

It's an OK place, good location. But you won't get much sleep because there is a yapping dog on an adjacent property. It barks all day and all night, and hotel management -- appropriately lambasted in other reviews -- is disinclined to show any initiative to take care of the problem/confront the owner. Shop elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dgdevil
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Very nice location does make up for the less than friendly management. The receptionists are friendly and helpful, provided its not one of the owner/managers.
If you don't plan on dealing with the management, the location is great and the rooms are nice and kept very clean. Everyone in the area, visitors and locals, was very friendly and laid back. I tried avoiding any dealings with the sourpusses at the front office. I found that if you come across an employee at this, nicely located, motel who is over 50yo, don't expect much in terms of people skills. I actually thought the owner had a dislike for me, after reading some of the other reviews, I find I'm not unique. They are just not very happy people. Ignore them and you will love the area and the people.
The continental breakfast is $10/day and the lousy wifi connection is not included in the price of the rooms and a bit pricey. Very good selection of restaurant at a short walk. The town is not as touristy as I had feared, except the price of stuff. There are a couple of washing machines and dryers free for motel guest use, as of this writing. The Westfield mall is within a walking distance.
This was a business trip, but when I bring my family on my return trip, I'm not sure I would want them exposed to the management of this motel.

Room Tip: Location, location, location -- less than friendly owners
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ErolYesin
Emeraldinn, Manager at Emerald Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the location of The Emerald Inn.
Your derogatory comments about "the management and sourpusses" are not consistant with our recent comments in our visitors book. In fact, over the past two months we have had nothing but positive feedback . One guest in particular told us on departure that he had travelled the world, stayed in a lot of places and seen a lot of things but never has he been made to feel as welcome as he was at The Emerald Inn. We have recent similar comments to this in our visitors book that will be posted on our website at the end of the month. I feel sure anyone taking the time to read these will be left in no doubt that this particular review is "out of the ordinary".
I am sorry this reviewer feels he has not had the same experience.
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

I politely pointed out to the unhappy people on reception that I had not had one smile from any one of them in my three day stay. The very deliberate rude response was the woman started sarcastically flashing fake smiles at me; while the man said "it must be you! because we have never had a complaint in 20 years".

However I can see that there are many other reviews about the same unfriendly reception. The point is he said this to me as handed over a pile of cash to pay them!....which makes me the customer. They are all so miserable and not sorry about it!

I just wanted to offer some feedback as whole of Takapuna was beaming with friendly kiwi people, with the exception of this place, and in return I copped sarcasm and insults.

I hope nobody comes to you because we have internet reviews to warn us about people like you now. It was over priced, and I was charged more than I was verbally quoted over the phone. I hope you go broke because of your terrible service!

Room Tip: Free for rude service right here.....
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank SmithersinAU
Emeraldinn, Manager at Emerald Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
I note this review was first posted on the internet in December 2009 - I am pleased to note this is not a recent review, however, I regret that your stay at The Emerald Inn did not meet your expectations. We have a number of very bright, pleasant staff both in reception, and housekeeping, who welcome our guests and are willing to assist them all during their stay with us.

On a regular basis we are congratulated on The Emerald Inn and the friendly helpful staff we have. I will post some of the latest comments from our visitors' book to our website to show that we are providing a service, may people enjoy and return to on a regular basis. We are not permitted to post these comments to this review forum.

Once again, I apologise.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Emerald Inn in January 2011 and we arrived at the motel late on a Sunday and were welcomed by the reception staff and shown to our upstairs room. The room had full cooking facilities and was very clean, well equipped with a balcony over looking the road. We could just see the beach 200 metres down the road.
The motel had an inner courtyard for parking, a swimming pool and small restaurant for breakfast. This was our first experience of self catering in New Zealand at the start of our holiday and it was to prove one of the best places we stayed.
It was ideally placed across the harbour from Auckland which can be reached by ferry from Devonport, a short drive down the road. There were excellent restaurants just a short walk up the road and an all night supermarket just 5 minutes drive away.
We thoroughly recommend the Emerald Inn and would return again if ever we come back to New Zealand.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BKL186220
Emeraldinn, Manager at Emerald Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope the rest of your holiday in New Zealand has left you with many happy memories to take back home with you. We would love to see you again if your travels bring you back to Auckland.
Thank you and safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
The Esplanade Hotel
The Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 2 in Devonport

Been to Emerald Inn? Share your experiences!