“Very pleasant, great room views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spencer on Byron Hotel

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Brisbane, Australia
“Very pleasant, great room views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed on a business trip and found it very comfortable and pleasant. Be sure to ask for a room with a view towards Takupuna Bay for some pretty sunrise views. The gym was well equipped and not crowded even had a personal trainer if you needed to book one for your workout (for a fee). The room was spacious and comfortable. I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room o the igher levels (although be warned the wind does howl through a bit) and facing t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Spencer. We are blessed with some fantastic views, particularly on a brilliant sunny day! I do hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

When I booked on line i could not choose the family unit and I needed an early check in as going to a wedding. I called the hotel to discus by requirements and they were very accommodating. when we arrived they 12.30 they had our rooms ready and we got the adjoining rooms as requested. secure parking, great view and only a few hundred meters to shopping. will stay again. outdoor pool on the 2 floor gives you that holiday feeling and at 28deg nice and warm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we really aim to please every guest and your review makes me feel very proud! Please do come back and see us again sometime soon.
Maroochydore, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a pleasant hotel in a nice area on the north side of Auckland. I'm not sure how a high rise was approved in this area as the building looks quite out of place. The major negative for some travelers is the outrageous price charged for Internet access. If you are on a budget you can head to the Coffee Club on the Strand and get free Internet access courtesy of Telecom NZ via the phone box opposite. Hopefully we won't be having discussions about Internet access in hotels in the near future as operators will understand that this is an essential service.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, I very much appreciate your time. I certainly appreciate your comments about our internet charges. We now have WIFI available throughout the hotel for the convenience of our guests and we aim to charge less than our competitors based in the CBD. Perhaps one day it will be included in the room rates as you suggest.
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was fortunate to spend 5 days at this hotel in May 2013, could not fault the service. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Location was great even if the weather wasn't. Quiet location and lots of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back to Takapuna and The Spencer on Byron Hotel again in the future - the weather is improving - Spring is finally here!
Tauranga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

As a group of four we booked interconnecting rooms which worked very well for us. We were all comfortable and the rooms were well presented. The location is very close to everything we needed for our stay, beach, shops, eating and venue. We found the kitchen a little under stocked with utensils but asked for what was missing without a problem. The fridge was rather overstocked with the minibar so we had to empty that out to use the fridge. I think plunger coffee could be included with the complimentary teas. All in all however would happily return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Spencer and hope to see you again.
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My bad experience began the minute I booked in. I booked and had confirmed 6 months prior a guaranteed harbour view suite and was notified that a SMALL amount would
be frozen on my credit card.I
Proceeded to book in only to be told that the entire cost of 12 nights at $199 per night plus $100 per night for incidentals would be frozen. This amounted to over $4000. After raising my voice and threatening to stay elsewhere the amount frozen was dropped to $1000. We then went to our room to discover no harbour view. I rang reception, who stated... you can see the harbour bridge...this is not a harbour view I argued. I was told the manager would ring me. This never happened. 4 calls to reception later we were moved and given a view I paid for. In the 12 days we stayed the bed linen was not changed. 2 days prior to leaving, I paid for the entire stay in cash and received a receipt showing a
Balance owing of $0 , so on checkout day I handed in my keys only to be told. I owed $199 . More arguing and I had to prove I had paid. Come on guys sort yourselves out. Give your staff some customer service training. Will I be back or recommend this Hotel.NOT EVER.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank bastions
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

It was our first time in Auckland and we have booked two different hotels for our 2 weeks stay. One of them is The Spencer on Byron at Takapuna where my family and I stayed for our first 7 nights after arriving in Auckland City from Sydney.
The room is clean and the balcony is overlooking the beautiful Rangitoto Volcanic Island and also Auckland City Sky Tower. It is also very peaceful and quiet at night and great views. Kitchenette was more than adequate with microwave, hob, oven, fridge, washing machine and dryer and they even provide sachets of washing powder. We got the daily paper each morning.
There is also a bus stop nearby where we can catch a bus to Auckland City and also to Devonport where we can catch a ferry to one of the many other islands.
It was good value and exceeded our expectations. We really enjoyed our stay at The Spencer on Byron and hope to come back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we appreciate your kind words. We hope you have an opportunity to return to New Zealand and that you will return to Takapuna and The Spencer on Byron Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
VR Takapuna
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,954 reviews
Aristotles North Shore
Aristotles North Shore
#1 of 1 in North Shore City

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!