“DO NOT STAY - Worst Hotel Experience ever”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Primary reason why NOT to stay at The Spencer;
- They informed me after checking their computer systems twice that breakfast was included in my room rate. To my disbelief, upon checking out, I noticed they charged the breakfasts on top of my room rate. After refusing to pay for being misinformed, they after a few weeks, stealthily charged the breakfasts without my consent to my credit card.
- After disputing for some time, I asked them kindly to remove the charge due to their problematic internal issues. BUT they instead asked a 3rd party who was helped me book my room to pay.
- UNETHICAL PRINCIPLES pervade this hotel. I am shocked by the handling of this situation at the managerial level.
Whatever you do, do not stay at this place where monetary values are more important than human principles and client/customer service.
OTHER VERY IMPORTANT REASONS;
- Worse 1st night stay - had DRUNKARDS blasting music at 4AM while shouting loudly on the balcony and bouncing a basketball. They had to issue 3 warnings before they all went back into the room. Loud noise is fine, but for the first time in my life, I was SCARED FOR MY OWN SAFETY. This place is SHOCKING.
- WALLS ARE PAPER THIN - Can hear EVERYTHING and thus I had no rest.
- Ate at the restaurant late with business partners and friends and the servers were showing the utter worst attitude because they had obviously not opened til closing hours.
- FOOD IS MEDIOCRE - terrible and overpriced
- Gym is TINY and smells bad and unclean

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank WellTravelled2468
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to respond to the issues you raise.

It is my understanding that you were an attendee of a three day Conference, held at the Hotel at the end of January. We were instructed by our Client Group that their group would have breakfast and accommodation paid for. As you were actually not part of this group but booked separate accommodation and paid for this accommodation yourself, you actually did not have breakfast included in your rate. When you identified yourself as a Group member, which you were not, you were informed that the Group had breakfast included in their rate (which is correct). This is where the crux of the misinformation occurred. Had you told us that you were not booked under the Group, the information you would have received would have been different. We feel that our staff were not at fault, but that you supplied them with misinformation.

In response to your accusation of unethical principles, we feel that it was your actions that were unethical and misleading. We did not “stealthily” charge your credit card. We charged your card for the three breakfasts as we are authorised to do. A member of our staff called you to discuss this with you when it was identified by you – and as a sign of good faith you were offered a complimentary breakfast for two on your next visit to us.

I furthermore believe that it is unethical of you to threaten to post a negative review if you did not receive free breakfasts for the duration of your stay (which you have now undertaken to do).

Our Gym is approximately 200 square metres – we do not consider this tiny.

With regard to your comment that our “walls are paper thin”, The Chief Engineer has informed me that the walls to all apartments are double gibbed, on both sides of the wall (four sheets of gib between rooms) and insulated to meet commercial fire standards and were recently tested by council appointed experts to meet residential acoustic standards.

However, thank you for your comments – we use all reviews and feedback as a measurement tool, giving us the opportunity to look at our staff, our business and our processes. We feel in this instance, our staff and our policies were not at fault. We consider this matter now closed.

Yours sincerely,
Greg Remmington
General Manager, The Spencer on Byron Hotel

Reviewed March 4, 2013

In general, this place is pretty nice, but there are some things that left a less-favorable impression. We were only here one night, though, so this review is based on what amounts to a "first impression."

The good: Our one-bedroom suite was spacious, and clean (mostly). The front desk personnel were cordial and responsive. I can imagine the views being great, though ours wasn't. Having parking included was nice.

The "eh": The bed seemed too large for the bedroom, with the bedside tables encroaching on the door space into the bathroom. The furniture seemed kind of "tired". Equipment in the kitchenette was dusty. $20/day per device for internet access - really?

So, for a hotel of this type, this one rates average.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. If you would be happy to elaborate on your stay, I would really like the opportunity to find out more. I will contact you shortly via email. Kind regards, Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I could stay 10 days at the Spencer during my business trip to Auckland. I have to admit that this hotel has almost everything : very good size suites with kitchen, very good restaurant on the 2nd floor and nice location, 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. The personnel is very friendly and ready to help. No major noise in the bedroom during my stay, with a nice view to Rangitoto island and Auckland bay. I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the view to Rangitot + Auckland bay : beauiful!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your great review of Spencer. We really appreciate it! Kind regards, Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were given a room on the 16th floor with a beautiful view of Auckland. Everything was spotless inside with good facilities including washing machine and tumble dryer. Reception staff were always helpful and room staff were courteous and efficient. We would like to use it again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Auckland.
1  Thank hollyoakMeerbrook

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review about Spencer! We think we have the best hotel views in Auckland. Kind regards, Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed last night. Very disappointed with one bedroom suite. Tired looking room that needs updating. Also found a used bandaid and plastic bag under the coffee table. Would not stay here again. We have stayed in alot of hotels and this one did not represent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thanks for your review and I'm sorry to hear you were dissappointed in your stay with us. We'd like the opportinity to welcome you back and I will contact you shortly via email to discuss the issues you experienced. Kind regards, Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Husband and I have stayed here a few times when have had events in Takapuna and want to treat ourselves to an evening away.
Efficient desk staff, friendly bar and restaurant staff and of course the views over the city and/or Rangitoto are to die for.
Love the restaurant - Thyme does a fabulous meal.
Have had overseas suppliers stay there whilst visiting NZ and they have all enjoyed their experience at the Spencer.
Easy access and if you're driving yourself from the city or airport, very easy to navigate from/to the Northern Motorway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wassowski
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Spencer, and we hope you have the opportunity to come back again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I recently spent a night at this hotel with my wife when we attended a wedding on the North Shore. We opted for a 1-bedroom suite to give us a bit more room. The rate for a 1-bedroom suite was only about 10% more expensive than that for a queen-size room, so well worth the extra cost. The room was a good size with a well equipped kitchenette which included an oven, stove-top, microwave, toaster, and refrigerator. This would be great for anyone staying a few nights and wanting the option of preparing some meals. Eating out is easy too, with a number of cafes and restaurants within a 10 minute walk. The suite had a good sized living area incorporating seating for watching TV (Sky), a dining table for two, and a writing desk to check the e-mail on the laptop. The bedroom was a good size and the large king-size bed was comfortable. The bedroom had a balcony and a good sized wardrobe. There was also a wall mounted TV in the bedroom. It was one of the older CRT types and did seem to encroach into the space in front of the wardrobe. A flat-screen TV would solve this issue and is probably scheduled for the next refurbishment. The bathroom was a good size.
There were 3 things I didn’t like about the room:
1 An old radio/alarm clock by the bed that had a very annoying hum. (It got unplugged).
2 The ventilation system in the bathroom was inoperative.
3 The shower over the bath. I’m a big guy and the shower was quite cramped.
Overall I like this hotel. It has friendly staff, is comfortable, handy to the Takapuna town centre, and a good base for access to the rest of the North Shore.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Spencer. We hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Emerald Inn
#4 of 65 in Auckland Central
The Esplanade Hotel
The Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 2 in Devonport

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!