“Disapointing”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It looked great on the internet. But the room was pretty dirty, my room was not serviced one of the days I stayed, the couches are extremely uncomfortable, and my complaints or suggestions seemed unwanted or without concern. No apologies and no words of appreciation for my feedback.
On the positive side, some of the staff was very friendly, the rooms have washer/dryer and kitchenettes, which was really nice, and the bed was pretty good.
I think this could be a really nice hotel if they improved their customer service, changed the couches, and put more emphasis on cleanliness.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay - we are absolutely devastated to hear of your experience at The Spencer. This is not our usual standard and we would like to contact you to find out more, so we can deal with the offending staff member, and to ensure such an incident does not reoccur. If you are happy to discuss further, and when you have a moment, could you please contact me - Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Excellent hotel. Clean rooms, friendly staff, classic piano bar and well equipped gym. Top location to explore Auckland's north shore and surrounds. We had a great water view from our room too. Definitely one to recommend

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard B
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Spencer, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The beautiful suite with a view had a view of the synthetic grass tennis court, and the smoker’s corner was just outside the room, anyone out smoking or on the tennis court could look in and did. Initially the outside of the building looked great, but the badly worn floors of the lift as I came up from the car park didn't get me off to a good start. My room was old, smelled damp and the furniture was shabby. The bathroom cupboards were all chipped- seriously chipped and damaged. Although they describe these as suites they are just motel rooms with a sink and microwave- though no crockery, only 2 mugs? No minibar. Oh there was a cassette deck- and I'd bought my MP3 player-silly me!

After 1 phone call, a night in a room with the option of pitch black or peeping tom, and 2 trips to the reception and a 30 minute wait I finally was moved to a room on Level 4, in which I had some privacy. This room did have crockery, and kitchenette. However, no remote control for the TV and no other way to operate the TV. Reception staff did bring a remote to the room but the TV, though relatively new the TV simply did not work. The 2nd room’s bathroom was no less mouldy that the first, but the cupboards were in better condition.

The servicing of the 1st room was slap dash with only the bed made and towels replaced.

The room service I ordered was good! Quite pricy at $45 +$5 tray charge for a main.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Spencer - I am to hear that your stay was not to the standard we pride ourselves on. I have discussed your feedback with our Rooms Division Manager, who will personally investigate the second floor rooms. If you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to contact me - Debbie Barnett.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

1 of the best hotels i have ever stayed in.Reception staff fabulous,was tired after a long drive and was given a fabulous seaview king room to relax.Guys at front were awesome enough to take our luggage up to the room with out even us requesting for that.Room was mind blowing(view),Clean and pleasing.But 1 suggestion,the falt screen TVS should be in the bedrooms not living.Rest, no complaints.Definetely coming back and recommending it to all my frnz n relatives.

Room Tip: Sea/city view rooms would be a great choice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at The Spencer, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I visited your restaurant and bar on a recent Wednesday evening and heard your guitarist. I have travelled internationally and can comment that your guitarist was one of the most accomplished I had heard. Of particular pleasure was his selection of tunes which was varied but still pleasant in the surroundings and atmosphere. I found the evening very enjoyable and will definitely be back again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit with us - I will pass your comments on to the Guitarist, Gunta Fisher - it is great to be able to pass your feedback on and we hope to welcome you back to The Spencer again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for 3 weeks on 11. floor with excellent city view to Auckland. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The hotel has a well equiped gym and a terrific outdoor heated pool and spa. The room was comfortable and kitchen had all appliances needed. The breakfast bufe was average, as there was little or no change in the selection during the 3 weeks. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
spenceronbyron, Guest Relations Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for reviewing Spencer during your recent stay, I will pass on your comments to our staff, it's always great to hear they are doing a great job.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Spencer on Byron for two nights on business travel. The lobby, restaurant and meeting rooms are very nice; the restaurant is not exactly cheap but it's a pretty good and convenient way to go. Anyway, there are a large number of eateries within a few minutes walk, or drive on down to Devonport for a great selection of boutique cafes and restaurants in a terrific sea-side location.

The hotel room was a bit of a disappointment. The decor is dated, and the layout odd due to the shape of the building (hexagonal?). The en-suite (the room's only bathroom) came off the bedroom at the head end; the bed was generous in size but this meant that the bed-side drawers blocked half the doorway into the en-suite! Poor design, only barely compensated for by the fact it is a sliding door. I am not exactly the fit, slender young thing I once was; any more of me and it would have been a problem.

The room was clean and serviceable, but I wouldn't call it four star any more. Needs a good spruce up or preferably a total refit.

The view from my room (eleventh floor) was terrific - I was on the city side so got harbour and city views. Auckland has excellent views available so ask for them!

Very convenient for work on the North Shore of Auckland - don't tackle the harbour bridge in peak time without lots of thought - it is a major choke point. If you are working on the Shore, stay somewhere like this; if you are working city or south, stay that side of the bridge.

Staff are friendly and helpful, car-parking is available on the premises and the room has all the usual hotel features in a functional way.

Room rates are pretty good value; internet is not overly expensive but certainly not cheap. I'd stay there again if work was paying.

Room Tip: Ask for a city or harbour view. Well worth the look at the nightscape if you're in a higher floo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Spencer, we hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Emerald Inn
The Esplanade Hotel
The Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 2 in Devonport
The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbo...
#17 of 66 in Auckland Central

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!