“superb!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed at The Spencer on Byron as part of a grab a deal which included one night's accommodation and a meal/wine at the restaurant. The service was top notch, the accommodation very comfortable with a lovely view, the fine dining experience excellent. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C0etz33lc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Spencer on Byron has nearly all the things that you need when away for business travel; space to unwind, lovely views, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms. It's not right in the heart of the city which may be a deterrent for some travellers, but was a bonus for me - with fantastic views of the water and the volcano on the closest island. Helpful staff, room service was efficient and meals were reasonable. The only problem I had during my stay was the internet was very inconsistent and dropped in and out quite regularly. Staff were very good at following this up and I believe that it was not a common occurance but rather a problem with their internet provider.
Overall - a good choice for work travellers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HappiestTraveller
Harker Heights, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Our first time to New Zealand and we are so glad we stayed in Takapuna beach for a few days before exploring inner city Auckland! The Spencer was definitely in a key location to explore the awesome beach town of Takapuna beach.

The view from our room was wonderful. We could see across the bay and all of the city of Auckland. We ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room which did not disappoint. We had dessert in the restaurant in the hotel one night and that was absolutely delicious so I'm sure the restaurant is great as well.

We were mislead with the "Library Bar" - we thought it was actually a bar with a library theme but it turns out it's some sort of cafe in the lobby which we never saw open.
There always seemed to be a cab stationed in front of the hotel whenever we needed one as well despite how far away from the city the hotel is. A cab ride to inner city Auckland is about $35 NZD.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have recently once again had the privilege of staying at the Spencer on Byron.On this occassion my daughter and her 6 month old baby accompanied me.
I have nothing more I can say, other than the fact that we enjoyed a superb 5 day stay , with every assistance from the booking staff, front desk members, house keeping staff and restaurant. One of the highlights a wonderful family meal with close relatives in the restaurant on Saturday evening while listening to beautiful live piano music , which made the evening complete. If you neede to be on the North Shore of Auckland the Spencer is in the right position for everything, beautiful beaches, great restaurants and shops I enjoy.
Mrs.J Davis.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I recently stayed at The Spencer on Byron Hotel while attending a training course at my company's office in Takapuna. To be honest, I had heard mixed reviews on the hotel prior to my staying, but much to my delight I found a hidden gem!! Not only was it minutes from my company's office, but also minutes from the main street of the charming Takapuna village with all its lovely shops and restaurants. At the hotel, I was given a lovely and very spacious room (seperate bedroom from the lounge and kitchen) overlooking the harbour and the Auckland CBD. Noise both within and from outside the hotel was non-existant and the bed and pillows super comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel to those on business or leisure.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Spencer on Byron with a daily deal voucher. As Aucklanders, we usually recommend staying in the CBD, but our stay at the Spencer has definitely changed that!

Takapuna is lovely, and the hotel is a quick walk to the beach and a good strip of quality restaurants and pubs (and the food in The Dining Room - the Spencer restaurant was amazing). No more than a 10 minute drive to the city centre, or a quick ferry or bus ride.

The rooms are clean, very spacious, and our standard suite had a separate bedroom with king bed, plenty of room for luggage and a full kitchen. Parking is plentiful, and we had no complaints about the service - service was quick and friendly. The views over the city or the harbour are stunning, and would be great for visitors! It's nice to be away from the noise and grey of the city centre, but still close enough to enjoy the sights and sounds.

Luzon, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Very nice view from every room. Beds are very well made and all the housekeeping staff are very courteous. Best fine dining, totally worth my money. And the check in check out is very very fast.All the Front Desk staff are well trained. without a doubt, Spencer is the best hotel so far for me.

Room Tip: All rooms are the best