“A terrific local treat”

Cuisines: Wine Bar, European
Good for: Romantic
“A terrific local treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

we've been urged to go to Pinot Plus for a long time, and boy did we regret not going sooner. We were greeted and welcomed like old friends. Instead of recommending a wine we were given splashes of four to start with and taste. With a generous and delicious menu, the tastes of the wine gave me a much better idea of what I wanted for dinner. My definite requirements for such a cold night were dishes warm and "autumny" and duck risotto and beef cheeks definitely fitted the bill. We were introduced to 5 different wines which we will certainly by more of in the future. This little restaurant will definitely become a regular dining location

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank TheBigFoody

“Odd in a good way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

This place is unique. It would seem you can taste infinite wines before making your selection. The food is very good but this really is a place for a taste rather than a big meal. Highly recommended for a wine and a snack.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank tazmannz
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great food, wine - Shocking Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Been here twice - once with partner and once with overseas friends. Both times food and wine was really good.

The sad part is when it came to paying both times the bill has been wrong and a hassle.

First time the girl charged us wrong mains, wrong wine and extras. Had also already racked it up on the credit card too.. Refund wasn't possible on the CC so cash had to be given. Manager blamed the fact the admin lady was new on the stuff up.

Second time, bill brought out to sign for which I did - however I checked cc statement and they'd charged me twice, then corrected it - without even mentioning it at the time.

I appreciate they'd corrected the card payments but they definitely should have alerted me so that I could confirm the balancing. Also cannot blame this on the "newness of admin lady".

Lesson to learn: Check your bill against the menu costs (food and wine). Also check your card statements to ensure no dodgy payments have gone through.

2 Thank Kiwi_Tripping
Western Australia, Australia
“Small local bistro type restaurant on North Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

The food is always excellent and particular favourites are beef cheek and pork belly. Most mains can be both entree/main size which leaves room for a delicious pudding! Tastings of the very good wines available before you make your choice. However, beware some of the prices can be quite high. There is outdoor seating with a heater in winter! Parking can be difficult so leave time to find one. John, the owner, is a very good host. A favourite amongst09489 the locals in Takapuna. Reservations for larger groups or certain times.

• Visited November 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
“Terrific food & wines - a real find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

Went with friends; really wowed by the food, and the informed service by its owner (John Ingle). It's small, friendly, and a great find. I didn't pay the bill so can't report on the cost but the dishes were very reasonably priced especially compared to other restaurants in Auckland that serve similarly excellent food. Try it; you won't be disappointed.

We shared 'smoked duck pate' with a beetroot relish & croutons, then I had the snapper with beans (perfectly cooked...); also tried some of my friend's choice - brains in a parsley cream sauce. All good, although I wish I'd taken the owner's advice and had the brains myself. Wasn't quite brave enough, which I regret cos the brains were divine.

• Visited October 2011