“Very, very good... just not quite 5/5”

Truffle Pigs Bistro & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Field
Cuisines: Canadian, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: A 13 room post and beam family run lodge in the heart of Yoho National Park in Field, BC. Truffle Pigs Lodge is freshly renovated and prides itself on offering families and couples relaxing, clean and affordable accommodations. Truffle Pigs Bistro is an award winning Bistro and Lounge that serves fresh, local and hand made foods, BC wines, beer and a great selection of spirits. Truffle Pig food is simply scrumptious , made by real people, in real time with real food ingredients. Our menu offers a wide range of gluten free options and we welcome children and families in the restaurant. Truffle Pigs Bistro and Lodge has been described as the "jewel" of Yoho National Park, "unpretentious" & one of the most relaxed and tasteful properties in the Canadian Rockies. You won't find a concierge, corporate uniform or chandelier on property but you will find the concierge and staff from other properties eating and hanging out.. Full of locals, local lore and local charm.
Kelowna, Canada
“Very, very good... just not quite 5/5”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

So maybe all of the wonderful reviews had me coming into my meal a bit biased - I was expecting a truly exceptional meal, and from what I read I had no reason to expect otherwise. I ordered the ranch selection which was a 14oz Alberta AAA steak with potatoes and mixed greens. I ordered the steak medium-rare, and it was served to me medium-well. I didn't want to be "that guy" who sent a good piece of meat back to the kitchen only to be thrown in the garbage, and besides it wasn't dry and the seasoning was good so I decided to stick with it, but I did let our waiter know. It ended up being a not-so-great cut of meat, with a few big chunks of fat that I had to cut out. For a $36 plate and all the hype that came with it, I expected perfection and that was not what I got. Like I said, maybe a bit biased because of my high expectations coming in but even without the expectations I think I would have expected a better cut of steak for the price.

Anyway, other than that the meal was pretty delicious. Even though the steak was overdone and a bit fatty it still had nice flavour and was juicy for the doneness. My fiancee had the bacon-wrapped, stuffed trout which was pretty tasty. Again, not the best meal she's ever had but I had a couple of bites and it was definitely a well-done dish.

I struggle with this rating because Truffle Pigs is such a nice little spot, the service was exceptional (our waiter comp'ed our dessert because of the cook on the steak), and the food really was pretty good, even if it didn't quite meet our expectations coming in. We came back for breakfast and that meal was a 5/5 for sure. So... because of the steak I need to downgrade my rating to a 4/5. I would definitely come back, but with revised expectations.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food in a great place”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

It is a very nice place with great atmosphere. Food is very good in a place that you wouldn't expect to find gourmet restaurant. Food might not be ideal for kids but other than that it is great place to be in.

• Visited August 2013
Sudbury, Massachusetts
“Unique and Amazing”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had just gone rafting on the Kicking Horse River and we asked our guide for a dinner recommendation. he told us if we wanted a really unique dinner, "Truffle Pigs" never disappointed, and we all agreed with him. Our meal was delicious - my Husband and Son had steaks which were amazing, and I had a beef bourguigone. The atmosphere is casual and friendly, the menu has standards prepared in unique ways, but also really different offerings. Our servers at the bar and at our table were really nice to talk to, altogether a great dining experience and fun evening with good people. We were too full for desert, but I am wishing we just took one for the road to enjoy later. Nice also seeing the old train/telegraph station and watching the trains go by.

Edmonton, Canada
“Definitely coming back”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We each had one of the specials. Mine was 3 cheese ravioli with prosciutto wrapped jumbo shrimp, topped with red pepper tapenade. His was a bison steak, with jumbo shrimp, potatoes and a wild blueberry glaze. Both were beautifully presented, and absolutely delicious. The appetizers we had were the same. A lot of time and care is put into the dishes they serve.

The service could not have been better, from the bartender who served us drinks on the patio to the young girl who served us dinner. Not intrusive, but we never felt we were waiting for them to get to us. She had good recommendations for wine and food, and a great sense of humour. Good timing between the appetizers and the main course.

All in all, one of the better meals I've eaten, all things considered. Except for flat pop for my drink, I'd call it perfect. Make a reservation though, if you plan on eating after 5.

Portland, Oregon
“Best Meal(s) Ever”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We drove the 30 minutes from our hotel in Lake Louise on the recommendation of several hotel personnel. A fabulous dinner followed, with the three of us having a trout wrapped in bacon, a bouillabaisse, and a panko-encrusted rack of lamb. The remarkable aspect of each dish is that each ingredient has gone through initial preparation which makes each ingredient stand out even though the final dish is completely harmonious.

So, the next night, at dinnertime -- where else would we go? Three different dinner entrees this night, and again each was fabulous. Chef Sean came out and spent a fair amount of time with us, discussing the food -- a great evening. We took home an order of apple strudel for breakfast the next morning -- and saw a grizzly cub near our hotel in Lake Louise.

So, next day, we're driving to Kelowna -- so lunch is an easy stop. The ladies went to shop while I waited 30 minutes for a table. Chef Sean spotted me and brought out a fresh mushroom bruschetta (not on the menu) for the wait -- as always, fabulous flavors with each ingredient standing out. And Sean came out and visited with us again during the lunch.

Best meals ever ...