“Clean place, good location”

The Great Divide Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Field
Ottawa, Canada
“Clean place, good location”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I spent one night at the Great Divide Lodge after driving in from Edmonton. I had tried to book the room the day before I did book the room and were told there was no availability. I called the next day and was able to book a room. I was not given the $89 deal or the deal that they advertise with the gondola... this was a bit disappointing and I'm wondering why the advertise so heavily online and at the gondola if they don't honour this ad? The breakfast was very simple. If you're looking for protein however - look elsewhere... carbs e.g., bread, cereals, c'est tout. No fruit or yogurt to be seen. Room was clean and no nose. i had no issues with power. Very very basic room and bath. Recommend bringing your own shampoo as this one did nothing for my hair :).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JCastell2414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After reading numerous poor reviews, I felt it was time to chime in my own after this weekend.

I went climbing in the canmore region the day before a mountaineering trip to climb mount Victoria and stay at abbot pass, the problem was that during high season, all hotels are booked, hostels are full, and car camping was frowned upon.

Nearly two minutes from the Lake O'hara staging area, the great divide lodge had a room for me for only a hundred dollars (which is very very low during high season near Lake Louise). I snapped it up.

I had a great shower, comfortable bed, wifi, and everything else I could need. I got a great night's rest, a hot shower to clean off limeston dust from climbing, a continental breakfast, and scaled Victoria the next day from abbot pass. I NEEDED a hotel, and Great divide lodge provided. Was I there to party and whip it up? Not exactly -I was so tired I could barely put my car into park.

People knocking this place are overly fussy and have unrealistic expectations. The hotel runs off of a distant diesel generation system, as there is no power linkages from field or Lake Louise. With their power costs being nearly a dollar a minute, they obviously have to make limitations (my room has no appliances except a TV, to prevent power waste.) Wifi is intermittent, and that's understandable. If you notice where the hotel is, you'll soon understand it's holding its own and is in proximity to no other sources. Yes, there is a train nearby, but that can be heard from most of Lake Lousie and field regardless.

I have stayed at numerous Fairmonts, and even the Savoy in London. Why was I not disappointed with the GDL? I needed a bed, warm water, shelter, and something to eat in the morning. I did not arrive expecting super highspeed wifi, or cavier and dom perignon. There are times where a place to stay is what's needed, especially in a prime location; this hotel delivers. If you are a fussy baby that wants black tie accomodations, shell out three hundred and stay at the fairmont. I had the essentials; Alarm clock, TV for weather, outlets for charging devices, clean water, a phone, and a lamp. Everything else you may need is downstairs - remember they are working hard to save power, and this is why coffee makers and fridges are not seen in the rooms. Staff was warm, friendly, and receptive that I simply wanted somewhere to sleep and some food in the morning.

I cannot comment on the noise or other guests - some people have noted parties or loud kids. I will say this; I have stayed at hotels nearly 5 times the cost, and have had screaming kids fighting in the hallway, while the parents continue to slam the headboard in the adjacent room; price will not always be a guarantee of comfort. My stay was clean, quiet and safe. Other patrons were either Oriental or German families that simply wanted somewhere to sleep. My room (21) was clean and recently renovated. I did not want to leave the comfortable bed in lieu for a sleeping bag the next day.

When I return to climb Lefroy and hungabee, I will stay at this hotel again. When I come back to ski the Wapta traverse, I will stay at this hotel again. When I go to lake louise to go snowshoeing, and fine dining, I will stay at the chateau. Each place has a suitability to it. You need to evaluate your reasons for staying here, and appropriately gauge your expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side from the desk (20's and upward) are away from the train on TC1. There...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jeremy K
Seattle
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was clean and a great location and price. About 15 minutes to Lake Louise. We stayed in the lodge for $99. and enjoyed our night there. The staff was great and the dinner was good. Great views and again great location.

Room Tip: Back side rooms are quite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed three nights in July 2013, quite satisfied with everything. Breakfast is kind of symbolic but we did not count on any so we were OK with that. Large, clean rooms, great service. Location is perfect for trips to Yoho, Jasper, Banf and other parks. Great views.

Room Tip: travelling with a pet - room 44 represents the best location as it it the furtherst away from highwa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank awconsol
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The only positive point is location. It is pretty close to lake O'Hara parking lot. My family of three lived the hotel only one night for $130 plus tax. The room with two queen beds has a LED TV but has NO phone, NO alarm clock, NO hair dryer, NO coffee maker. The bathroom is small but clean. During check-in, the staff in lobby is not friendly and "forgot" giving me the WIFI code, so I have to go back ask for that. Also, the one-day WIFI code can only be used for one equipment at the same time. If you do want to find a place close to Lake O'Hara, try some decent places around Lake Louis, GDL is your last choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 72JC2007

Travelers are raving about these Field hotels

nelson
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are looking for affordable accommodation near Lake Louise/Yoho, its definitely worth considering. $89+tax with coupon was value for money and its worth a good part of that to just sit on the patio or in the restaurant with a drink or meal and look across Wapta Lake and over the trees and snow capped mountains. About 15 Kms to Lake Louise and 5 to Field you can cover both areas. The room was clean, recently part refurbished though the bathroom still had a green suite, though perfectly serviceable. The restaurant only had a limited range of food but it was well cooked enjoyable. All rooms are upstairs with no lift. There was no air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elegy
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I guess you get what you pay for. We stayed here 2 nights on a pretty cheap ski & stay package. First impression upon entering the reception area was that it was a little rundown. But whatever, that didn't really bother us. Girl on front desk was nice enough. Our room was actually laughable. Not enough room to swing a cat! Tiny old fashioned tv (no remote control, which we found hilarious). No alarm clock or clock to speak of. Curtain was missing some hooks so it wouldn't close properly. The bathroom was very pokey. Toilet had no lid. The bath tap constantly leaked the whole time we were there - granted, we didn't report this, but that was only because we didn't feel comfortable having maintenance people in our room (we spotted the "housekeeping" staff, which was some young unkempt 18 year old guy with a rats tail hair style. We made sure we locked our suit cases when we went out for the day.).
I can live with a tiny old fashioned room but one thing I cannot live with is a terrible sleep. The first night I realised this hotel is basically a party house for the staff. I don't think I saw any staff member over the age of 25 the whole time. I felt like I was staying in a dorm house. Staff were drinking and partying until all hours of the morning, laughing and shouting in the halls, running up and down the halls, playing loud music in their rooms. Our second night I was woken at 2am by staff members coming home from a party and then proceeding to have a loud emotional D&M conversation in the next room - it was so loud I could have given dating advice through the walls.
Don't stay here if you're after a relaxing trip. Don't stay here if you're after peace and quiet. Don't stay here if you've got a young family (not appropriate). Do stay here if you're a 20 something year old traveller who wants to work in BC for the snow season and party it up... Eeek.

• Stayed April 2013
8 Thank seaoh11596
Also consider these accommodations in or near Field
Deer Lodge
Lake Louise Inn
#3 of 5 in Lake Louise
Emerald Lake Lodge
Cathedral Mountain Lodge

Been to The Great Divide Lodge? Share your experiences!